Re refined oils

If Valvoline made NextGen cheaper, I would use it for things that required “conventional” oil. IMO, Valvoline should reintroduce it but be better with the marketing.

It’s not the first time recycled oil has been marketed and failed - Unocal 76 tried to market Firebird but it failed, P66 still has it.

I wish places didn’t burn so much used oil; and had companies like safety Kleen use it. We have enough pollution already
Yea, used motor oil supposedly is part of asphalt in CA after getting the contaminants out. It’s also in roofing asphalt too as well.

I have a lot of confidential information. Even information that could be insider trading information. Since this involves now publicly traded companies.

It’s better to ask questions and I’ll answer them as best as I can.
So, somewhat related to this tiki pic but what happens to the used anti freeze safety Kleen recovers? I imagine they make new coolant

So, somewhat related to this tiki pic but what happens to the used anti freeze safety Kleen recovers? I imagine they make new coolant

It does become recycled glycols. Which are used in the cheaper antifreezes in the market. It can also find its way into heat transfer fluids, fire resistant fluids, etc.

It makes very subpar antifreeze however.

It does become recycled glycols. Which are used in the cheaper antifreezes in the market. It can also find its way into heat transfer fluids, fire resistant fluids, etc.

It makes very subpar antifreeze however.
Very good sir.

Do you foresee a bigger prescense used oils may have in the future? Or will a lot of it be turned into heating oil, motor fuels etc? I’d personally like to see more used oil turned into new motor oils myself

I would imagine that the quality of used lubricants would be improving year over year as synthetics become the norm rather than the exception.
In fact, the recycled products may be too good for "once through" lubricants like chain saw bar oil, way oils and lubricants mixed with water for drilling.
The high end, may include base oils for medical and cosmetic products.

Other oil related things for recycling are the containers and filters.
Tires have oil in them too.

Last edited:
can oil companies use re-refined oil in their products without mentioning it? Who knows what oils we buy every day have at least some % of that in it? Who really cares if it meets specs?

When I was operating a fleet of diesels our waste oil pit got used engine oil, used gear oil, gasoline, #2 diesel, anti freeze, oil full of contaminates from failed components, warm Coke, cold coffee and whatever night shift added that I didn't know about. I realize crude oil comes out of the ground but refineries know what contaminates they're dealing with. I never felt comfortable that re-refiners totally cleaned their base stock. OTOH, people run it and it works for them.

When I was operating a fleet of diesels our waste oil pit got used engine oil, used gear oil, gasoline, #2 diesel, anti freeze, oil full of contaminates from failed components, warm Coke, cold coffee and whatever night shift added that I didn't know about. I realize crude oil comes out of the ground but refineries know what contaminates they're dealing with. I never felt comfortable that re-refiners totally cleaned their base stock. OTOH, people run it and it works for them.
Funny that you mention coffee, as the used grounds can be turned into lubricants, bio-fuel, animal feed and lawn fertilizer.

Very good sir.

Do you foresee a bigger prescense used oils may have in the future? Or will a lot of it be turned into heating oil, motor fuels etc? I’d personally like to see more used oil turned into new motor oils myself

It will be a lower and lower amount used in PCEO and HDEO products going into the future.

With current technology, it’s pretty limited to being a group II base stock. The re-refinery I was directly involved with, it came out around 115vi on average. Over all, a decent group II, however as we can see the trend in general, group 3’s and other synthetics are the way of the future for engine oils.

That being said, there are still massive amounts of applications out there for group II base stocks. R&O oils, AW oils, non-synthetic compressor oils, tractor fluids, etc.

You will find more and more re-refined base stocks used in those applications. I’m actually going to guess the majority of re-refined product is in AW hydraulic oils right now, just because it’s a good hydraulic oil and cheap to make. Where as making a spec’d syn blend 5wXX/10wXX is a bit harder because you need to spike it with group 3’s to meet the cold crank test. And that was with SN/SN+ oils.

A local quick lube here uses Chameleon AMAM - avoid it?

I would have to see a product data sheet. The typical issue with recycled glycols, is they just don’t suspend the additives as well as virgin glycols do. As well, you may have more incompatibility issues from there. So between those two issues, I won’t sell it / don’t sell it / avoid it in general.

I would have to see a product data sheet. The typical issue with recycled glycols, is they just don’t suspend the additives as well as virgin glycols do. As well, you may have more incompatibility issues from there. So between those two issues, I won’t sell it / don’t sell it / avoid it in general.
This is what they are using: https://store.safety-kleen.com/perf...fe-naps-free-oat-1-single-55-gallon-drum.html

Safety-Kleen probably doesn’t like to sell junk - they are the most successful at marketing recycled oil.

I see on Safety Kleens site they do make a synblend and synthetic that’s DEXOS 1 Gen 3 oil. They also make synthetic HDEO too.

SK blends a number of different products. They purchase base oils on the open market just like any ILMA.

Ironically up until about ~10 years ago, Cam 2 did the majority of blending for SK. SK East Chicago only had the ability to blend basic hydraulics. The rest of it was subbed out to cam 2.

But the re-refined base products are not used in say the Dexos products. And anything full synthetic.

SK blends a number of different products. They purchase base oils on the open market just like any ILMA.

Ironically up until about ~10 years ago, Cam 2 did the majority of blending for SK. SK East Chicago only had the ability to blend basic hydraulics. The rest of it was subbed out to cam 2.

But the re-refined base products are not used in say the Dexos products. And anything full synthetic.
Oh, I didn’t know this. Thank You sir

Back