Re refined oils

Been pondering this a lot lately. Do any of you folks think that re refined oils, basestocks will be used more in the future? My work uses all SafetybKleen oils except for euro applications. And diesel trucks we use rotella 10w30.

I bought a bunch of this when it went on clearance about a month after it was introduced. Worked fine in my applications. I liked it mostly because the bottles are exactly the same color as the grinch.

valvoline.jpg

I bought a bunch of this when it went on clearance about a month after it was introduced. Worked fine in my applications. I liked it mostly because the bottles are exactly the same color as the grinch.

View attachment 145116
OT: it is not clear why instead of creating a whole new product out of rerefined oil, they just wouldn't use it as a base stock of their normal products if using them made $$ sense. What happens if the bottles are made out of recycled plastic, another product line? j/k

WM house-brand oils in Canada used to be SK re-refined oils, when they were called ‘Tech 2000’.
It was priced very inexpensively, like $.77 and $.88 a litre, and they sold a LOT of it. They even did a super-cheap OC package with it for a bit.
I ran quite a bit of it myself, and it worked well.

Valvoline dropped the NextGen oil because it didn't sell for 2 reasons (IMHO):
No one understood it and thought it was an inferior product, and, perhaps more importantly, it was only very slightly less expensive than their virgin oil so there was no incentive to use it. Maybe if they'd tried it today it might have taken off.

WM house-brand oils in Canada used to be SK re-refined oils, when they were called ‘Tech 2000’.
It was priced very inexpensively, like $.77 and $.88 a litre, and they sold a LOT of it. They even did a super-cheap OC package with it for a bit.
I ran quite a bit of it myself, and it worked well.
I miss tech 2000! I recall it being around 18 bucks for a jug of synthetic. I had a pretty stellar UOA on it too.

Valvoline dropped the NextGen oil because it didn't sell for 2 reasons (IMHO):
No one understood it and thought it was an inferior product, and, perhaps more importantly, it was only very slightly less expensive than their virgin oil so there was no incentive to use it. Maybe if they'd tried it today it might have taken off.
Around here they initially charged MORE for NextGen, both in the stores & at VIOC-but that didn't last too long...

I wish Valvoline was still making the rerefined oil. WHen they were we had a company that was taking our waste oil to supply Valvoline and they were paying real good money for it.

Cause Wal Mart doesn’t carry it. You can’t buy it at retail store either. Just saying
you're missing my point... they don't really call out where they get their base from....who's to say that all the majors aren't using some re-refined in their blends, and just not calling it out... (because advertising the fact that they were using re-refined oil worked out SOOO well for Valvoline in the past...)
so why not just continue to used it, but just drop the marketing wank?

Cause Wal Mart doesn’t carry it. You can’t buy it at retail store either. Just saying
I've never seen any base oils for sale at retail unless you count baby oil or mineral oil.

how do you know they don't have a marked presence already...does anyone really call out the base stocks they use?
He didn't say they didn't have a presence, just that he was surprised it wasn't bigger.

If these reports are to be believed:

The global base oil market size was valued at USD 20.4 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.3% from 2022 to 2030
https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/base-oil-market

THE GLOBAL RE-REFINED BASE OIL MARKET SIZE WAS VALUED AT USD 6.4 BILLION IN 2021 AND IS EXPECTED TO REACH USD 8.8 BILLION BY 2027, GROWING AT A CAGR OF 6.5% DURING 2022-2027

https://www.arizton.com/market-repo...OBAL RE-REFINED BASE,OF 6.5% DURING 2022-2027

The market share is roughly 31% and is projected to increase to over 33% by 2027.

you're missing my point... they don't really call out where they get their base from....who's to say that all the majors aren't using some re-refined in their blends, and just not calling it out... (because advertising the fact that they were using re-refined oil worked out SOOO well for Valvoline in the past...)
so why not just continue to used it, but just drop the marketing wank?
Oh I got your point fine. We all know that some major oil companies are using some re refined oils also.

I have zero problem using Safety Kleen oils also

I've never seen any base oils for sale at retail unless you count baby oil or mineral oil.

He didn't say they didn't have a presence, just that he was surprised it wasn't bigger.

If these reports are to be believed:

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/base-oil-market

https://www.arizton.com/market-reports/re-refined-base-oil-market#:~:text=THE GLOBAL RE-REFINED BASE,OF 6.5% DURING 2022-2027

The market share is roughly 31% and is projected to increase to over 33% by 2027.
Thank You for clarifying what I posted to earlyre 👍🍻

Back