RDX Judder from Tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove two 2016 Acura RDX today and noticed some shifting hiccups between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear on moderate acceleration. Even holding speed, I noticed the RPM gauge flutter slightly like it couldn't decide if it wanted to shift or not. Kinda weird for both cars to have the exact same issue. The salesmen said they would have Acura take a look at it and get back to me since they are both under warranty.

I currently have a 2012 but that's a 5-speed vs the 6-speed, plus the newer RDX are V6 vs my turbo 4 cylinder. I have never had this issue but also drain and fill every 30K miles. I searched quickly and found other have complained to and came upon this article:

https://honda.oemdtc.com/159/judder-from-the-torque-converter-lock-up-clutch-2013-2016-acura-rdx

Sounds like it's a known issue and Acura is working on a software update and in in the meantime doing a ATF flush to reduce the jutter. Also, heard it may be the VCM feature where the computer turns off 1/2 of the engine from firing on lower speeds to save on gas.

So, two part question:
1. Anyone else familiar with this issue?
2. Have any of you tried another ATF fluid that "fixed" the issue.

My wife loves her RDX and wants a newer one but now I'm not sure I want to go down this patch of potential future failure/expenses.

Last edited:
I have a customer with a 2016. No issues with 80K.

We do a triple drain-and-refill using Honda ATF-DW1 every 30K. We also updated the software per that bulletin at around 45K.

Originally Posted by Joephu
I test drove two 2016 Acura RDX today and noticed some shifting hiccups between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear on moderate acceleration. Even holding speed, I noticed the RPM gauge flutter slightly like it couldn't decide if it wanted to shift or not. Kinda weird for both cars to have the exact same issue. The salesmen said they would have Acura take a look at it and get back to me since they are both under warranty.
I currently have a 2012 but that's a 5-speed vs the 6-speed, plus the newer RDX are V6 vs my turbo 4 cylinder. I have never had this issue but also drain and fill every 30K miles. I searched quickly and found other have complained to and came upon this article:
https://honda.oemdtc.com/159/judder-from-the-torque-converter-lock-up-clutch-2013-2016-acura-rdx
Sounds like it's a known issue and Acura is working on a software update and in in the meantime doing a ATF flush to reduce the jutter. Also, heard it may be the VCM feature where the computer turns off 1/2 of the engine from firing on lower speeds to save on gas.
So, two part question:
1. Anyone else familiar with this issue?
2. Have any of you tried another ATF fluid that "fixed" the issue.
My wife loves her RDX and wants a newer one but now I'm not sure I want to go down this patch of potential future failure/expenses.

You have no idea how the previous owner(s) has maintained the transmission if at all.

Originally Posted by Joephu
That is true but with 40-50K, that's not excessive even if fluid was never changed.

The fluid deteriorates very rapidly on the Honda 6AT transmissions. Supposedly the updated software will reduce the deterioration of the fluid by changing how the torque converter clutch operates.

On our customer's 2016, the subcode "3" pops up about every 30k for the trans service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back