Question on 04 Taurus Tranny

Taurus in signature currently has 202k on tranny. Noticed alittle hesitation going from 1st to 2nd here lately and especially when cold. Checked the fluid and fluid level is full. Color of the tranny fluid is not dark but definitely not red neither. Best way to drain & refill without causing any issues? Is Maxlife ATF the way to go with this older vehicle? Any and all help appreciated.

Back when I had a 4F50N Taurus, it shifted best on Mobil 1 ATF
It also shifted just fine on plan Mercon V
A bottle of Lubegard Red couldn't hurt 🤷‍♂️

Is it a hesitation in the transmission shifting, or a power issue?
Vulcans like to crack coils, creating tip in hesitation/stumble
Inspect yours

If you don't already have one, consider an aftermarket pan with a drain plug. This will make future ATF changes much easier.
So much this ^^^.
Mercon V is what you want to use... or at least one that is "compatible" if not actually a licensed version.
If you aren't going to use a Ford-licensed/approved fluid, you might as well use Maxlife.

Both Motorcraft and Maxlife fluids and the pan with drain plug can be had for short money from Rock Auto.

Supertech mercon v is all you need, officially licensed and inexpensive.

When I did a drain and fill in a ‘00 continental with the ax4n I simply pulled ~10qts from up top and replaced it with st fluid, but it only had 45k miles.

Supertech mercon v is all you need, officially licensed and inexpensive.

When I did a drain and fill in a ‘00 continental with the ax4n I simply pulled ~10qts from up top and replaced it with st fluid, but it only had 45k miles.
Noticed that the Valvoline Mercon V is cheaper for the gallon then Supertech Mercon V. Yesterday I ordered a new drain pan with a drain plug and new transmission filter from Rock Auto. Fingers crossed but thank you for your input.

Back