Rando HDZ

Rando HDZ worth the price over regular AW32?

The info I find talks about being heavy in VII, that it's more or less a multi grade oil.

Fight with some of my equipment in the cold, sometimes takes an hour or more to get going as it should.

Don't want to reduce the weight to 22 or 15 as id need to switch it for summer... some of the equipment holds ~75-100 gallons.

It'd run me around $20 a gallon where I pay about $12 for regular stuff (p66 Megaflow)

Okay. In my opinion, it depends on the equipment. You could also look at P66 Megaflow HVI 32 as it would be equivalent to Rando HDZ.

Walking floor trailers, dump trucks… things where the oil doesn’t get warm, then it’s required to be heavily used and shut back off? Yes. You’ll see a difference.

Smaller midi/mini excavators? You’ll see a difference on start up.

Larger equipment you can see, especially on start up, better cycle times, less strain of movement, which means better power usage and less fuel being burned. In theory, you should have longer oil life as well.

At most you’re going to see a ~5% efficiency increase. But you’re going to spend ~70% more on your oil. Personally? I would do it. As I think it’s long term worth it. Potentially extending pump life. Better efficiency/cycle times, etc.

If you’re breaking hoses all the time, or blowing cylinders out, getting debris in the hydraulic tank. Not worth it.

Okay. In my opinion, it depends on the equipment. You could also look at P66 Megaflow HVI 32 as it would be equivalent to Rando HDZ.

Walking floor trailers, dump trucks… things where the oil doesn’t get warm, then it’s required to be heavily used and shut back off? Yes. You’ll see a difference.

Smaller midi/mini excavators? You’ll see a difference on start up.

Larger equipment you can see, especially on start up, better cycle times, less strain of movement, which means better power usage and less fuel being burned. In theory, you should have longer oil life as well.

At most you’re going to see a ~5% efficiency increase. But you’re going to spend ~70% more on your oil. Personally? I would do it. As I think it’s long term worth it. Potentially extending pump life. Better efficiency/cycle times, etc.

If you’re breaking hoses all the time, or blowing cylinders out, getting debris in the hydraulic tank. Not worth it.

My firewood processor for example I have to run 1/2 an hour or more when it's below zero before it's warmed up enough that everything is working fine.

Have a tank heater, but it's not near power so have to run a generator.

It uses hydraulic oil to lube the bar, so goes through a pail every maybe 200-300 hrs or so. (Never kept close track)

Excavator will stall if I try to move it without letting it run a good 45 mins. Skid steer a little better.

My firewood processor for example I have to run 1/2 an hour or more when it's below zero before it's warmed up enough that everything is working fine.

Have a tank heater, but it's not near power so have to run a generator.

It uses hydraulic oil to lube the bar, so goes through a pail every maybe 200-300 hrs or so. (Never kept close track)

Excavator will stall if I try to move it without letting it run a good 45 mins. Skid steer a little better.

Oh yeah you’re in Alaska aren’t you?

I would certainly run a High V.I. hydraulic oil. Megaflow HvI or Chevron HDZ.

In your case, I would really actually look into the synthetic hydraulic oils if you can. Chevron Clariry or P66 Syncon AW.

However the cost / change out procedure might be a little too much for the synthetics. Either way you’ll see a noticeable improvement with the HDZ or HVI product. In an AW32 for Megaflow off the top of my head, the regular product is a -35f Cold pour point. The HVI is -49f. So a significant improvement in cold flow. Rando HDZ should be similar a similar improvement, as they’re like products.

Oh yeah you’re in Alaska aren’t you?

I would certainly run a High V.I. hydraulic oil. Megaflow HvI or Chevron HDZ.

In your case, I would really actually look into the synthetic hydraulic oils if you can. Chevron Clariry or P66 Syncon AW.

However the cost / change out procedure might be a little too much for the synthetics. Either way you’ll see a noticeable improvement with the HDZ or HVI product. In an AW32 for Megaflow off the top of my head, the regular product is a -35f Cold pour point. The HVI is -49f. So a significant improvement in cold flow. Rando HDZ should be similar a similar improvement, as they’re like products.

I'll have to look if we carry HVI at work. Rando for sure we do. Sell alot of HDZ 15 here. Fine for winter, but wouldn't be suitable in summer when it's 70-80*

I drained the oil from my forklift, not sure what was in it, but seemed thick. It's gravity down as most warehouse forklifts and it would take minutes to go down.

Had a pail of Redline Arctic ISO12 and it's working much better. Goes down close to normal.

Problem is I need probably 2 or 3 more pails. 5 gallons barely covers the suction screen. The Redline was $$$$ (like $250ish i think, have had it for years now) and not even sure if it's still sold.

HDZ is around $100 a pail and easy to get.

HDZ iso 15? Or would 32 be ok so I can keep it simple as everything else has iso 32?

Looking at the specs, not sure what info tells how thick it is at let's say -10* F.
Pour point to me isn't that useful. I've had oils barely pour out that weren't near the advertised pour point.

Not too worried about summer use, it's not running for hours and hours a day like in a warehouse. Though of course don't want to ruin the pump either.

Back