Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to start somewhere.

Not sure what I would do with it, the payload is low so even though it tows around 8600lbs you are going run out of payload.

Maybe a good fleet truck because of the MPGs.

Give it time. It will get better.

I'm glad that ram brought the 1/2 ton diesel. However if the payload and priceing is correct, i would spend same amount of money for an hd or sd.

On the other hand.... for the large precentage of people that don't need a truck but want one this would be a good fit. If they have the cash for it.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
56k? just offer a 10 year loan guys, no problem then rite?

Again, it is about the most expensive one you could possibly get. Quad Cab, highest trim level, and just about every option possible. You can get one for anywhere from $36-$41K depending on trim level and how many options you add.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

Chrysler has a decent chassis. The only way the Eco-diesel will tow the same as the Eco-boost is to give the diesel the additional 125hp the gas engine makes.

The Eco-boost will smoke the Eco-diesel in a tow off.

No they don't. They have the lowest payload of all the 1/2 tons and that includes the Tundra and Titan.

Horsepower has little to do with towing capacity. Just a few short years ago, we were towing 10-15k lbs with 250hp Diesels. But they made boatloads of torque which is what you need.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I think it's great too.. itguy does not hide his hate for Chrysler, much like I don't hide mine for Toyota... To each their own I guess, but I at least don't troll nearly as good as he does..

How is it a troll? People think this thing is the second coming and it's not. Yes, it gets great fuel economy. On fuel that is much more expensive than gas.

If you look at the Pickuptrucks.com article the fuel costs are cheaper but not by much.

6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fcbb030a970b_800wi.jpg

And that's before you add in DEF and any other maintenance that may be more expensive than a gas engine.

Then there's the payload issue - shockingly low. But that's to be expected since Ram 1500's are the lowest of all the 1/2 tons.

The data is the data. And it shows while it's good for Diesel fans there are better more capable 1/2 tons out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Chrysler has a decent chassis. The only way the Eco-diesel will tow the same as the Eco-boost is to give the diesel the additional 125hp the gas engine makes.

The Eco-boost will smoke the Eco-diesel in a tow off.

No they don't. They have the lowest payload of all the 1/2 tons and that includes the Tundra and Titan.

Horsepower has little to do with towing capacity. Just a few short years ago, we were towing 10-15k lbs with 250hp Diesels. But they made boatloads of torque which is what you need.

Show me a diesel from any light truck manufacturer that made 250hp and had a 15,000lb tow rating.

Horsepower has EVERYTHING to do with towing. Torque is a measure of how much work an engine can do. HP is how fast that work can be done. The EB from Ford and the ED from Ram (Dodge) both make the same torque. The engine making more HP (Ford) will win a tow off EVERY time.

It'll be like Ram bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Show me a diesel from any light truck manufacturer that made 250hp and had a 15,000lb tow rating.

2002 Ford Super Duty
250hp/505 lbs.-ft. with automatic transmission
Zo8nsrZ.png

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

2002 Ford Super Duty
250hp/505 lbs.-ft. with automatic transmission
Zo8nsrZ.png

Light truck, as in up to 3500 series. An F450 is a class 4 truck and is medium duty.

Light truck, as in up to 3500 series. An F450 is a class 4 truck and is medium duty.

Figured you'd say that, grasping at straws and completely disregarding that Ford towing capacity is correlated to available axle ratio. I'll play your game:

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2002.pdf

2002 Silverado/Sierra 6.6L Duramax - 235hp, 500 lbs.-ft.
Tow Capacity - 16,200lbs.

You'll find that's for a 2500.

Back when Diesel used to cost the same or less than gasoline, I used to think this was a great idea and was one the bandwagon of asking why there wasn't one available in a 1/2 ton. I often thought that something with the hp of a small V8 and the torque of the big V8's would be perfect. (IE: This is not the king of the hill engine, but optimized for excellent fuel mileage and still capable).

More recently, Diesel has consistently been running a fair amount over gasoline. In the short term, gasoline was running $3.15 a gallon, while diesel was consistently between $3.90 and 4.20 a gallon in my area. Right there was a 25%ish premium on the fuel price that would need to be offset with the diesel. Add on the premium price tag, and the payback will take a long while. Gas has started to go back up, but diesel is still a 50 cent a gallon premium.

Add on to that the "fun" of running a diesel in arctic type cold, plus the advances made in fuel mileage in gasoline engines, and while in theory I like the idea of a diesel 1/2 ton, I'm not sure the economics are there...

Originally Posted By: ms21043
Apparently Chrysler knows a little bit about the 1/2 ton diesel pickup market. The entire 1st production run, 8000 units, sold out in 3 days.. If that's a swing and a miss by them, I wonder what a home run would look like?

http://jalopnik.com/everyone-wants-a-2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-1526381545

Pent up demand does not equal long term success. There was a huge demand for the Diesel Jeeps and now the local dealers are saying "Diesel Jeeps in stock today!".

This thing has been "announced" for close to a year now and is just now being built. Of course pent up demand will be high. How it is sustained is the big question.

Horsepower has EVERYTHING to do with towing. Torque is a measure of how much work an engine can do. HP is how fast that work can be done. The EB from Ford and the ED from Ram (Dodge) both make the same torque. The engine making more HP (Ford) will win a tow off EVERY time.

If you notice I said 10-15k lbs. Which 10-13k fits well within the last decade or 2 of 250/2500-350/3500 series trucks.

I'm well aware of hot torque and HP work and that HP is derived from torque. If you also notice I said "TOWING CAPACITY", not speed. The fact is the Rams chassis limits the Ecodiesel to low tow ratings. The payload alone tends to ensure that. IOW : Ram Ecodiesel is outclassed by the Ford and GM in towing.

Sure it would get spanked by an Ecoboost. Heck, even the Hemi would probably spank it in a tow off.

I just don't see the point - it excels one area, fuel economy but it is very expensive, uses the most expensive fuel, and could have higher maintenance costs.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Forget the Hemi...the Pentastar V6 will beat it when towing!

Those pentastar 6's are pretty impressive. Dodge has their engine line-up tied pretty tight.
Fords got the most interesting big engines and I feel they've got the most potential based on having dohc and boost but them dodges definitely have the basic pushrod N/A market cornered.
And the hemi is just incredible as far as durability and their ability to absorb miles.
I was never a dodge fan. Ever. I had them over the years because of cost and availability.
I was a chev guy through and through until I saw what could be done with a mustang for pennies,then I switched over to the ford camp where I remain however dodge has me interested now that I've seen what they're capable of.

I'm still interested in the diesel, currently its the same price as gas at some stations here. 27mpg with 4wd is the main attraction and I think that over 10-15 years with rising fuel prices it will pay off a few times over.
I'll watch to see what mileage people actually get with the pentastar vs. the diesel, but I suspect with 4wd the difference will be quite significant even unloaded.
I can wait 2 or 3 years to see how it pans out though. If the ecodiesel is a solid engine probably the difference in resale will pay for it alone.

My 235 HP Dodge Ram 2500 came from the factory with a 17,000 pound tow rating. Sure an Ecoboost with 365 HP can tow 17k pounds up the Davis Dam Grade faster than a 235 HP diesel, but it's long-term operating costs where the diesel will win. Or at least that used to be the argument. Now that heavy-duty pickup truck diesels are so expensive, and the emissions controls have hurt fuel economy, and the fuel is 20% more expensive, they probably never pay for themselves.

I think Fiat/Chrysler really messed up not staying with the Cummins V8 diesel. A 5L V8 with 300+HP and 550 ft*lbs of torque would have made a very capable truck. Now Nissan is going to use that engine in the Titan. Maybe the Cummins V8 will resuscitate Nissan's pickup truck in the North American market the way Cummins I6 did for Dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back