Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great review; I really like the Rams. I'm not sure which powertrain I'd get, but if I were looking for a full-size truck, the Ram would be at the top of my list.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The important question: what is the price premium over a Pentastar V6?

Adjusted for actual pricing, that is. I have yet to understand the whole dickering bit.

I looked at 4 dealers here. About 150 trucks listed. 9 were 3.6's and six were EcoDiesel's. Going off of the prices shown, which does not include haggling/rebates, the ED's were generally listed as "call" while the 3.6's ranged from $29k to 33k. Two ED's had prices, $42k and 55k.

Will the ED come down in price, and will dealers move on price for a V6? It's not like their lots are overflowing with the V6 models.

Up here you have to get an SLT quad cab 4x4 before the diesel is an option, and its $5500 more for the diesel over the V6, or $4200 over the V8.
Now they do have a deal on 4.7L V8 6spd 4x4 quad SXT(one trim level lower) for $27,800. The SLT ecodiesel is $40,200

Originally Posted By: RangerGress
The truck is really terrific. The previous tow vehicle and 50% daily driver was a 2000 F-250 which was loud, austere and harshly sprung. Driving it was punishing. The Ram Ecodiesel drives like a big quiet sedan. I couldn't be more pleased.

Going from a truck with a proper truck suspension to one with a car suspension would make it ride much nicer.

Too bad they have DEF. Hate that stuff. Not so much that you have to add something, but if you run out it goes into a limp home mode.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Up here you have to get an SLT quad cab 4x4 before the diesel is an option, and its $5500 more for the diesel over the V6, or $4200 over the V8.
Now they do have a deal on 4.7L V8 6spd 4x4 quad SXT(one trim level lower) for $27,800. The SLT ecodiesel is $40,200

I just configured a proper worktruck with Ecodiesel and 4x4 for $31665.

Same setup with...
Pentastar 8 Speed: 27165
Hemi 6 Speed: 26475
Hemi 8 speed: 28815

The cheapest "Ram" you can get is v8 and 6 speed auto, apparently.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Same setup with...

The cheapest "Ram" you can get is a properly equipped work truck with v8 and 6 speed auto, apparently.

I don't really understand the premium for the 8 spd trans either. Must have a surplus of 6 spds?
Anyways, seems like not much of a premium for the ecodiesel if you drive alot.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The important question: what is the price premium over a Pentastar V6?

It's a fair amount more than a V6. If a V6 is all a person needs then the argument for an Ecodiesel isn't strong. For me I needed good towing mpg and good daily driver mpg. The V8 isn't really enough to tow my ~7600lb enclosed trailer. Sure, the V8 theoretically can, but it starts sucking down gas like there's no tomorrow so clearly it's outside of it's comfort zone. The Ecodiesel, however, tows my trailer getting slightly better mpg then my big diesel did.

Re. mpg at 70-75mph. On level ground, no wind and maintaining constant speed I'd get 28-29mpg at 70mph and 27ish mpg at 75mpg. Note that mine's 2WD with a tonneau. I can easily get 30mpg at 65mph, but as I get up to 70mph it get's harder to average 30mpg.

Last edited:
If you are getting the diesel because you want the diesel, fine. But don't try to make the case that it makes financial sense...because I would bet it does not!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Same setup with...

The cheapest "Ram" you can get is v8 and 6 speed auto, apparently.

The problem with the diesel is the load carrying capacity. Its about 1,100 pounds with a regular cab and a long box.

Ford's over twice that, GM is 1k pounds more.

For a work truck its a killer and for 2015 they are doing it to the 3/4 tons as well. A 2015 Ram 3/4 ton can only carry a bit more than a 2015 Ford F150.

Its a shame because if it wasn't for the rear suspension and lack of load capacity I'd probably buy the Ram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Its a shame because if it wasn't for the rear suspension and lack of load capacity I'd probably buy the Ram.

Agreed. If you need to haul cargo, it's not the biggest payload.

But the cadillac ride quality, completely unequaled by GM or Ford is a unique attribute. And one that my wife will definitely be checking out when we pick one up for a 48 hour test drive...

The problem with the diesel is the load carrying capacity. Its about 1,100 pounds with a regular cab and a long box.

For a work truck its a killer and for 2015 they are doing it to the 3/4 tons as well. A 2015 Ram 3/4 ton can only carry a bit more than a 2015 Ford F150.

The least I see is 1556 payload for Reg Cab, 8' box, ecodiesel. 3.6 looks the best at 1907 for that configuration. One can't really compare Ford or GM -- since they don't have a diesel. However, Silverado's max = 2108, or +201 lbs over Ram's max (hardly +1k). Looks like F150s "typical" max is 2090. It is capable of 3120 with the "Heavy Duty Payload Package" -- which blows them all away.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

How many trucks do you see on the road -- carrying their max payload everyday? With exception to farmers -- whom most have 2500 or 3500 for hauling heavy loads -- I see no one get close.

Last edited:
Just as an example of how bad the RAM payload numbers are:
RAM 1500
LARAMIE LONGHORN
3.0-LITER V6 ECODIESEL
CREW | 5'7" | AUTO | 4X4
MAX PAYLOAD
881 lbs

Payload is very important for anyone considering towing, especially a travel trailer. Even the max payload they list on the website is often less than what will be listed on the truck with additional options that are added. The payload numbers on the websites have been gamed by the truck manufacturers for years and only way to accurately know is to weigh the truck. Here is a recent article:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/for-shame-gm-joins-ford-in-gaming-pickup-truck-payload-ratings/

Last edited:
^ That is pretty sad. My old '08 Sport Trac's payload was 1430, and could tow 6800 lbs. That was with a tiny 4.1' bed. Once again though, most don't buy a Longhorn as a workhorse.

The scary thing with a lot of the lower payload capabilities of the Ram is that a lot of the owners don't know or realize they have low payload capabilities. I'll use the experience with a friend who didn't see the issue with trying to load up with a 5000 lb boat, 4 200+ pound guys, and all their gear for a 5 day camping trip, all with an 1100 lb payload. (Hint: the tongue weight of trailer + the guys puts you over the payload before putting anything in the bed...)

I'm not faulting Ram for that. Their 1/2 tons ride better than anyone elses, hands down. But it means you have to do your homework on what you are buying to make sure it can do the job safely. I think a lot of people just see that its a truck and think load it up!

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

The least I see is 1556 payload for Reg Cab, 8' box, ecodiesel. 3.6 looks the best at 1907 for that configuration. One can't really compare Ford or GM -- since they don't have a diesel. However, Silverado's max = 2108, or +201 lbs over Ram's max (hardly +1k). Looks like F150s "typical" max is 2090. It is capable of 3120 with the "Heavy Duty Payload Package" -- which blows them all away.

How many trucks do you see on the road -- carrying their max payload everyday? With exception to farmers -- whom most have 2500 or 3500 for hauling heavy loads -- I see no one get close.

If you compare 4x4 V8, long bed, regular cab trucks across all the brands you will see the Ram's rated capacity is much lower. I would have to downgrade to the V6 to get even in the ball park of carrying capacity of the others but quite frankly I want a V8.

If you use a truck as a truck being able to carry more weight is always a plus. Having a capable half ton means you can drive a smaller cheaper to run truck for the 90% of the time your just getting a box of nails or some 2x4's. But that other 10% its nice to be able to load them up.

Now as to how much you can overload them who knows, I saw one the other day with at least a ton in its bed and it was sitting on the stops. Since their are no standards how [censored] these numbers are, are really up to the manufactures.

If you compare 4x4 V8, long bed, regular cab trucks across all the brands you will see the Ram's rated capacity is much lower. I would have to downgrade to the V6 to get even in the ball park of carrying capacity of the others but quite frankly I want a V8.

If you use a truck as a truck being able to carry more weight is always a plus. Having a capable half ton means you can drive a smaller cheaper to run truck for the 90% of the time your just getting a box of nails or some 2x4's. But that other 10% its nice to be able to load them up.

Now as to how much you can overload them who knows, I saw one the other day with at least a ton in its bed and it was sitting on the stops. Since their are no standards how [censored] these numbers are, are really up to the manufactures.

Silly payload capacity games: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/07/gm-admits-removing-parts-weighing-pickups.html

At least Ram doesn't fudge the payload capacity numbers like GM & Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TSR6

Silly payload capacity games: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/07/gm-admits-removing-parts-weighing-pickups.html

At least Ram doesn't fudge the payload capacity numbers like GM & Ford.

The fact that changing the weight of the rims counts toward payload capacity shows that the number is almost meaningless... It would be nice to actually interview the engineers that actually "calculate" the payload ratings and ask how these are determined. Makes no sense that the payload ratings are based on a basic truck and then get reduced simply by the increasing weight of more equipment.
Coming from a tractor perspective, the more weight you add, the more you can lift and pull and stop. Pickups aren't quite as simple, but adding more weight to the front end of a truck with a heavier engine must make it more stable in most situations.

The fact that changing the weight of the rims counts toward payload capacity shows that the number is almost meaningless... It would be nice to actually interview the engineers that actually "calculate" the payload ratings and ask how these are determined. Makes no sense that the payload ratings are based on a basic truck and then get reduced simply by the increasing weight of more equipment.
Coming from a tractor perspective, the more weight you add, the more you can lift and pull and stop. Pickups aren't quite as simple, but adding more weight to the front end of a truck with a heavier engine must make it more stable in most situations.

Wheels, deleting bumpers, spare tires and more...

I kind of want to troll a GM dealership today and ask for a quote on all these delete options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back