2015 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 V6 Low Oil Pressure

I thought there was a class action suit for the adapter/cooling housing leak issue…..I could be mistaken. Working at a Jeep dealer, if you had seen the amount of money it cost them for warranty you MIGHT think they would have done something. However, not always the case…..just like the pinto gas tank. Bean counters felt it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits than to re-design.
Funny thing I noticed. The Cherokee 3.2 is the same engine as the 3.6 but we never saw the problem on the scale the 3.6 had. Not sure if it was the exact same part but that was our observation.…..and we sold a ton of 3.2 Cherokees.

This is something that has always baffled me about the job -- people seem to act like it's so cool that Dorman includes the sensors but I've always wondered if I would trust the sensors.

I'm not saying OP did anything wrong...but ANY Dorman electrical part I've ever had has screwed me.
Me too! Dorman and sensors just don't work.

This tends to be my thinking as well. Would be interesting to talk to the original design team and ask if they really thought plastic was the best material for the job, or were they over-ruled or shackled by the bean counters, eg "This WILL be plastic so just start drawing mold prints accordingly."

It's not apples to apples but I heard the same argument about the stupid plastic bleed screw on Duramax fuel filter assy's. It always strips and someone said "the screw has to be plastic, GM/Isuzu designed it that way for a reason!" Nonsense. I put in one of the metal aftermarket replacements (I think it was Gold Plug?) and it's one of the best things I ever did. It literally brings a faint smile to my face every time I service my non-profit's LMM.
I was told when I was still in engineering at GM that they made the screw plastic to prevent damage to the housing....meaning the screw would break before messing up the housing and that they wanted similar materials so there would be similar contraction/expansion under various temp changes. So my interpretation after that conversation was that it was all done for costs :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: D60
I thought there was a class action suit for the adapter/cooling housing leak issue…..I could be mistaken. Working at a Jeep dealer, if you had seen the amount of money it cost them for warranty you MIGHT think they would have done something. However, not always the case…..just like the pinto gas tank. Bean counters felt it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits than to re-design.
Funny thing I noticed. The Cherokee 3.2 is the same engine as the 3.6 but we never saw the problem on the scale the 3.6 had. Not sure if it was the exact same part but that was our observation.…..and we sold a ton of 3.2 Cherokees.
Motor City Mechanic seems to suggest he's seen it on the 3.2, but I don't if that means 1 time or 100 times (shrug)

Looking at another forum on 3.6 Pentastar, the replacement of housing with Dorman aluminum housing, the oil pressure was 0 with no noise. If I remember correctly it was the housing was stopped up at oil sensor.

Looking at another forum on 3.6 Pentastar, the replacement of housing with Dorman aluminum housing, the oil pressure was 0 with no noise. If I remember correctly it was the housing was stopped up at oil sensor.
I wouldn't be no noise for very long though. If they started it and immediately shut it off then the noise/damage may not have been done but if yours driving at highway speeds and lose oil pressure the noise will arrive very quickly.

There is an oil filter cap adapter to measure the oil pressure and I've seen reports of these aluminum units not providing the proper pressure to the filter. The sending unit is probably fine, it's the crappy aluminum housing that everyone seems to drool over as superior, is likely the problem.
Knowing cheap chinese junk, some of the internal passages of the cooler are probably partially block or totally blocked.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
There is an oil filter cap adapter to measure the oil pressure and I've seen reports of these aluminum units not providing the proper pressure to the filter. The sending unit is probably fine, it's the crappy aluminum housing that everyone seems to drool over as superior, is likely the problem.
Knowing cheap chinese junk, some of the internal passages of the cooler are probably partially block or totally blocked.
So the Dorman piece is no longer USA COO?

That doesn't sound very likely given the circumstances the op described. It ran fine for 1500 miles, then lost oil pressure at highway speeds, no noise, restarted, all okay. Keeps on reoccurring but still with no noise. It needs to be verified with a proper gauge but this is classic sending unit symptoms.

It looks like adapter for the later 3.6's-- which I would want -- is 2021500090

It's apparently on intergalactic backorder. There's one on ebay for $200 but I'm not paying that.

If anyone knows of an alternate source I'd be interested. Or can you get a metal cap for these and tap it? Not sure I wanna try to drill and tap the plastic.....

I wouldn't be no noise for very long though. If they started it and immediately shut it off then the noise/damage may not have been done but if yours driving at highway speeds and lose oil pressure the noise will arrive very quickly.
The blockage is effecting the oil pressure sensor. Not effecting the oil pressure.

Back