P06DD on the Grand Cherokee

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
This is on the 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L I used to own, sold it to my aunt and still help maintain it.

It’s had a P06DD CEL off and on since September. If I clear it it’ll come back after a few weeks. I haven’t driven it when the CEL turns on, but my aunt says it’s almost always while either merging on the freeway, or passing someone on the freeway. Not hard acceleration but just moderate. Then she says it usually doesn’t have hardly any power unless you pull over and turn it off and back on again. Seems this code is usually about oil pressure but the digital readout for oil pressure seems good.

I took it to a mechanic shop and they found the oil cooler housing leaking as the 3.6L does and they replaced the oil pressure switch as well. That was a few weeks ago and the CEL just came back on.

Emissions testing is coming up soon and it can’t have a CEL. We also use the Jeep to pull a travel trailer, which makes long trips a little nerve racking, especially if it’s going to lose power on a mountain pass.

My research seems to show sometimes it may be a never-ending battle to fix. It goes into the mechanic on Monday but wanted to give him some extra resources incase anyone else has had this code.

Here’s some screenshots of the data it had when it set the code:

IMG_7907.jpg
IMG_7908.jpg
IMG_7909.jpg

There are issues with OE senders but they are better than non-mopar oil pressure senders. If the new cooler is another brand or if they transferred the sender...I would look hard at both senders. The engine is trying to protect itself against the sensed low pressure. Get a flashlight/mirror/borescope and make sure the new cooler assembly isn't leaking too.

Throttle position of 31.4 with a load of 81.6 seems a bit skewed especially with a timing only at 13.5 at that indicated throttle postion and load. Have you cleaned the throttle body lately?

As mentioned above - these engines are known to throw issue with off brand oil press sensors. I own 2 Pentastars (14 JGC and 20 Gladiator) and when I replaced the oil cooler on the 2014 with an alum Dorman unit that came with sensors (they don't anymore) I immediately had issues until replacing the sensor with a Mopar.

I had an intermittent P06DD for several months.

When the P06DD comes on, when you take off from a stop, do you notice (initially) it won't rev over 3,000 rpm?
-On my Jeep (2012 Pentastar), it was the dual-stage oil pump.

Last edited:
I took it to a mechanic shop and they found the oil cooler housing leaking as the 3.6L does and they replaced the oil pressure switch as well.
I'm assuming this is a dual-stage pump with an actual pressure sensor. If only the pressure switch that was replaced, it could still be that the sensor is bad. Even if the gauge reads normal most of the time, it might not be at high load when this problem occurs.

Throttle position of 31.4 with a load of 81.6 seems a bit skewed especially with a timing only at 13.5 at that indicated throttle postion and load. Have you cleaned the throttle body lately?
Good catch. It could be that the second stage of the pump is meant to engage above a certain % throttle, but that it isn't because of a bad throttle position sensor or something. If the alarm monitoring can be triggered based on other parameters as well, like high load or high MAP, it might be expecting higher oil pressures.

Another possibility is that the second pump stage isn't engaging at high load because of a bad solenoid or something.

A clogged oil filter or some other restriction could also lower the oil pressure.

You can test the high pressure stage of the pump by disconnecting the connector on the side……pretty sure it’s a default to high pressure if it’s working properly.

There are issues with OE senders but they are better than non-mopar oil pressure senders. If the new cooler is another brand or if they transferred the sender...I would look hard at both senders. The engine is trying to protect itself against the sensed low pressure. Get a flashlight/mirror/borescope and make sure the new cooler assembly isn't leaking too.
Yes, OE sensor and oil cooler was used. I'll check to see if it's leaking again next time I see the car, should be tomorrow.

As mentioned above - these engines are known to throw issue with off brand oil press sensors. I own 2 Pentastars (14 JGC and 20 Gladiator) and when I replaced the oil cooler on the 2014 with an alum Dorman unit that came with sensors (they don't anymore) I immediately had issues until replacing the sensor with a Mopar.
Haven't cleaned the throttle body before

I had an intermittent P06DD for several months.

When the P06DD comes on, when you take off from a stop, do you notice (initially) it won't rev over 3,000 rpm?
-On my Jeep (2012 Pentastar), it was the dual-stage oil pump.
She told me it wouldn't rev on the freeway yes, when that happened she called me the first time and I told her to pull over and turn it off and back on and it was fine.

She told me it wouldn't rev on the freeway yes, when that happened she called me the first time and I told her to pull over and turn it off and back on and it was fine.

That is how mine started and over time, it got progressively worse and even then, it was intermittent. I had to wait for it to come on and I drove to the dealer. In my situation, it was the oil pump.
-MAXCARE covered it, but it was ~$1600 at the dealer.

I took it to my mechanic and they had me take it to the dealer.

Should have it back by Monday, will be getting a new oil pump for the lovely price of $2,600.

I took it to my mechanic and they had me take it to the dealer.

Should have it back by Monday, will be getting a new oil pump for the lovely price of $2,600.
The oil pumps aren’t that bad of a job, shoulda googled it to try to influence your guy to tackle it. It’s a very common repair, he’d be better off learning it and being ready for the next one.

The oil pumps aren’t that bad of a job, shoulda googled it to try to influence your guy to tackle it. It’s a very common repair, he’d be better off learning it and being ready for the next one.
It's a pretty good size shop with no shortage of business. They were up to the task, but being diagnosed by the dealer, might as well let the dealer fix it.

Thanks for the update on your code.

I stumble across this code quite frequently in the FCA world
IMG_4580.jpeg
IMG_4366.jpeg

and 9 times out of 10 the fix is expensive...

That is a bit of a labor intensive job. I have not, fortunately, came across a 3.6 oil pump I needed to change yet. Glad you got it fixed!

That is a bit of a labor intensive job. I have not, fortunately, came across a 3.6 oil pump I needed to change yet. Glad you got it fixed!
If you have a 10mm universal joint socket that's the perfect size you can replace the oil pump without removing the upper oil pan.

Back