Question about Purolator filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Purolator filter from Advanced Auto this evening, the first Purolator I ever bought. I was looking at(inspecting) it a few minutes ago and I noticed the steel column or whatever it is called, in the middle, inside the filter, has no holes! Is this something special/unusual about Purolator filters or did I get an unusual defect?

Well, ........hmmm...can't say I recall a solid center tube there, Frank. They gotta be there somewhere...
21.gif

There's probably convolutions that obscures the view of them. I really doubt that Frank is seeing a solid piece of tubing ..like a piece of tailpipe with a smooth internal surface.

I called Purolator this morning. They told me they did not make this filter, it was sourced. They very generously gave me a number to call to ask an engineer that worked with the "source."
I called the engineer. He said the L35310 was a heavy duty oil filter and it did not have holes, it had slits that were very difficult to see and almost impossible to feel. The engineer said this was one case where the Premium Plus filter was actually better than the Pure One filter. It sure cost a lot more than the Pure one.

Anywho, my wife, who has fingernails, said there were indeed hundreds of slits inside the filter. I guess I will use it.

The application guide pulls up a bunch of tractors, tillers and grounds-keeping equipment, so I guess FrankN4 isn't kidding about it being a heavy duty application.

It is for a John Deere lawn tractor. It uses a mower deck, disc, spreader, and wagon. I am sure the engine is actually made by Briggs and Stratton, 19.5 HP.

I did not know that Purolator does not make all of their filters but there are, according to the engineer I talked with, two or three outside sources.

Looking inside this thing you can see a very heavy duty pressure relief valve with coil springs. The metal core is spiral wound with corrugations. There are slits in each end of the corrugations. I can't see or feel them but my wife, fingernails, says she can feel them and she says she can see them also.

The engineer(heavy India accent) said I could use a PL10241 if I had enough room and it cost less. I don't have enough room and he said this was actually a better filter so I will go with it. I am going to use Amsoil small engine oil and change oil and filter at 25 hours as per manual. Should last a while.

Go remote, Frank. There should be plenty of room to hang something. Then you can get tons of filter options ..and the trickest John Deere in the neighborhood.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back