Putting Freds non-detergent oil in a DT466E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I am posting this wanting to see what you all think.
A very good friend of mine is using Freds brand, non-detergent oil to top off her bus.
It don't use much oil apperantly, but how, if it will at all, affect the oil thats already in there?
No clue what she uses for reg. changes.

Use a major brand detergent oil like delo/rotella /delvac. This would help avoid any problems that may arise later on like acid and soot control? Is this an EGR'ed 466? How cold is it? if its below 40*, tell her to consider a 5w40 for faster cranking and quicker oil pressure.
Dusty

The total capacity is probly 6-8 GALLONS. A couple of qts of SAE30 ND probly wont kill it tomorrow but it does dilute the addatives in the diesel oil thats in there.

Sounds like you need to drag her to WM and show her whats available in 15w40 for that engine.

I vote for Rotalla T6 5w40. that's a good range of operating temp. That oil would be perfect for that particular temp. Summer Delo 15w40
Dusty

Is this ND oil still sporting an R&O type add pack? IMO it is important to know TBN and what level of dispersancy is provided from this oil.

If it can handle soot reasonably and offers some buffering capability, then it may be worth it as a top-up (though not an oil change fill). Especially given the sump capacity.

Any name brand 15w-40 changed at the interval the manufacturer specifies oughta keep it running just fine.

I wouldn't run the non-detergent oils, but if it's two quarts and we're talking 6-8 gallons, it probably is a pretty moot point.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Any name brand 15w-40 changed at the interval the manufacturer specifies oughta keep it running just fine.

I wouldn't run the non-detergent oils, but if it's two quarts and we're talking 6-8 gallons, it probably is a pretty moot point.

+1 Just have her use a detergent HDEO when topping off from now on and of course when changing out the oil go back to using a decent 15w40. We run 15w40 in all our DT466E's at the church I work at. I got them to switch to Rotella recently as they were using some el cheapo brand. The engines are running great. I don't quite trust 5w40 yet for an engine like these, is 5w40 a viable option? Would it get beat up too bad? I'm definitely no diesel expert.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: JRed

+1 Just have her use a detergent HDEO when topping off from now on and of course when changing out the oil go back to using a decent 15w40. We run 15w40 in all our DT466E's at the church I work at. I got them to switch to Rotella recently as they were using some el cheapo brand. The engines are running great. I don't quite trust 5w40 yet for an

engine like these, is 5w40 a viable option? Would it get beat up too bad? I'm definitely no diesel expert.

Yes, 15w-40, 10w-40, 5w-40, and 0w-40 will all work in this application, as long as its C rated oil. I don't know the vintage of the engine you are inquiring on, but I would guess anything CH-4 or higher would suffice.(CJ-4 is current)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back