Rockauto says to put ATF in my differential

I own a 1996 F250 5.8 with 66,xxx miles. I do not posess the oirginal owners manual that came with the vehicle. Getting ready to change differential fluid which is a job I normally have done at the mechanic shop. Been I am wanting to get into doing my own maintenance. I was going to order the gear oil on rockauto but they only list automatic transmission fluid as gear oil. Other sources like Oreilly list a dedicated gear oil for the differential.
What should I use? Putting ATF doesn't sound correct to me? I know on some older trucks like mine they call for ATF in the powersteering but in the differential as well?
Thanks in advance for any replies

Screenshot_20240226-195147.jpg

Yeah, that's a mistake on RR's part. You want to use 80w-90 or 75w-140 GL5 gear oil. 1996 F-250's called for 80w-90 conventional gear oil but later models with the same axle call for 75w-140 synthetic for more wear protection and longer drain intervals.

View attachment 205600

Per the chart ...
I'd like to know what kind of "Parking Brake Assembly" uses ATF ?????

I can't believe I'm first to the party to say this, but pretty sure they're thinking the ZF manual, which absolutely was available behind the 5.8 in '96 (and was pretty darn cool when weighed against the M5OD in 1/2 tons or the E4OD)

What do I win?

Why would anyone trust RockAuto over their owner’s manual??

Don’t have one?

They’re free to download…

Reminds me of when Toyota said the clutch fluid was fine on my LS430. Just shows a lack of caring for my car. Not a lot more to read into…or when BMW said to charge the battery in my fob (it doesn’t have a rechargeable it has a 2032)

A lot of times it only takes one uninformed person to “imply” an organization doesn’t know what they’re doing

It doesnt say put it in your diff. It list those fluids under gear oil heading and its just showing the transfer gear oil. It is confusing but it doesnt say rear or front differential on their site.

RockAuto doesn't spec ATF for the differential on this application. Pays to be able to read.
When I went to purchase differential fluid, it listed ATF. I am not a car expert and I'm here trying to learn.

No where did I say it spec'd ATF. I stated that they only list ATF. I even posted a picture of it. My apologies that we can't all be ASE certified bobistheoil guy experts.

I remember when all Honda manual transmissions used 10W-30 motor oil. If you put gear lube in them fifth gear would disintegrate in a hurry. My Dodge Daytona Turbo Z (A525 transaxle) used type 7176 ATF.

I ordered a clutch and parts from RA for my '08 Accent. Got a couple quarts of what they recommended for the trans oil. Turned out to be GL5 instead of the GL4 I needed. Ended up using it in the rear diff of the Gen Coupe.

I ordered a clutch and parts from RA for my '08 Accent. Got a couple quarts of what they recommended for the trans oil. Turned out to be GL5 instead of the GL4 I needed. Ended up using it in the rear diff of the Gen Coupe.
Yes, I ruined a perfectly smooth shifting manual trans in my 1988 Toyota SR5 truck putting GL5 in it. Never shifted the same after that. I was too young and dumb to realize that GL5 was the culprit.

Back