Put 15w40 and 10w40 in wifes 2008 taurus X 3.5v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's car was due for an oil change, I let it go longer than usual this time, 8400 miles in six and half months.
Last change was supertech 5w30 and a mC FL400s.

For this oil change I did yesterday, I wanted to use up some oddball stuff lying around in the garage. I had a unopened four quart jug of Chevron LE 15w40 low emissions oil. I also used one and half quarts of Mobil super 5000 high milelage 10w40 SN rated. Also used a cheap WIX Silver filter.

I did not feel like running out to get some 5w20 or 5w30.

Car starts and runs fine like it always does. I cant tell a difference at all. As for all the thin oil guys saying it will hurt MPG, I doubt it. This car is a pig, it weighs 4200 pounds and is AWD, wife average is 15 mpg stop and go, soccer mom stuff no matter what oil weight. This car has seen everything from 5w20 to 15w40 and mpg is always the same.

Highway 20-22 mpg. All said it is a great family car, Great in snow, and big and safe. Anyway I'm going to get a UOA when I dump this.

Just be sure to dump it before any real cold arrives, like by Thanksgiving.
I've run much thicker than spec oils in various engines over the warmer months and have found that they typically make for smoother and quieter operation.

Always liked the appearance and "idea" of the Freestyle/Taurus X.Didnt realize they got such bad mileage.So you talking about 17-18 avg.Heck,my 02 minivan gets 22.

The 3.5 V6 seems to have good power just MPG blows. My aunt has a 2010 Ford Edge AWD with the same motor. She only gets 15-16 city too. Better than ours by a little.

Maybe the Chevron 15w40 will clean up the Supertech that was left in for 8400 miles.

I will have to see if if there is a difference in smoothness and quietness of the engine with the heavier oil.

It had a run with 10w40 and it was hard for me to tell any difference.

Time will tell.

That was my plan to dump this fill around November. I will refill with some 5W-30 for winter and go back to a MC FL-400S filter.

As for highway MPG, we have never seen anything above 22.0.

Took tyhe car on a trip two weeks ago down to Virginia and round trip average was 20.8

That was cruising at 70 MPH, also includes stop and go.

Our Subaru forester averages over 32MPG mixed and has lots of room for 5 people. Power is fine. I bet your freestyle drives and rides better - isnt it based on a Volvo x90 chassis?

ARCO that is correct. Ford uses the Volvo chasis in this car.
The AWD system is also Volvo. Verified that years ago while on the lift.

ARCO I love that name. I'm 43 and remember the old Atlantic Richfield gas stations here in SE PA as a kid. And the old oil cans that said ARCO Graphite. Cool stuff man.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've run much thicker than spec oils in various engines over the warmer months and have found that they typically make for smoother and quieter operation.

15W40 would be ok down to 5 degrees

The whole oil is thick stuff when cold is way over rated

Originally Posted By: badnews
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

15W40 would be ok down to 5 degrees

The whole oil is thick stuff when cold is way over rated

Roger that...when I was a Kid 10W-40 was a WINTER oil...now all you hear is: "that might be OK if you dump it when the weather turns cold"

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Roger that...when I was a Kid 10W-40 was a WINTER oil...now all you hear is: "that might be OK if you dump it when the weather turns cold"

I agree people worry too much, and I'm one of them. However, back in the day, 10w-40 was a winter grade because there were so few alternatives.

The old Audi recommended 15w-40 down to temperatures low enough that most of us would consider alarming. When the manual was written, the options for the preferred thick oil with a lower number before the "w" just weren't as common. The manual doesn't even mention any 0w- grades, and 5w- grades are listed only as 5w-20 and 5w-30, for very, very cold conditions.

I considered 10W-40 an all weather oil up until we bought our first vehicle recommending 5W-30.
I still consider 10W-40 an all weather oil for an old BMW or Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back