Purolator vs. Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, if it was about 99% efficiency(etc) at P1 is noted for...reversed in favor of a Wix. Would Wix be the favorite again for those using P1s?

I suppose I'm just getting at whether folks think Purolator > Wix b/c of efficiency ratings as stated. I say toss up either one. Good filters.

Nope. Don't like the bypass making the element smaller and the defects I've seen personally on the WIX bypass.

Bill

^That of course was the other side of that, their bypass design.

To be honest, I've really grown to dislike the 1334/51334 offering from Wix for my Civic. It's so tiny, though fat.

I suppose for a vehicle that has stock filtration which is generally considered 'poor', AFAIK, no problem?

I wonder what filtration offered by a dealer would be like? If they even carry that vintage and not the 'longer/less bulky' filters post 2000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nope. Don't like the bypass making the element smaller and the defects I've seen personally on the WIX bypass.

Bill

This is my current self debate and why i started a thread here about what bypass style was better.

Last edited:
For my Optima, I prefer Purolator to Wix/Napa Gold for exactly the reason others have pointed out: the filter element itself is a lot shorter in a Wix, than a Purolator. That being said, I like the OEM a lot, and I will use them going forward after my stash of Napa Gold and Purolator Classics run out.

For the Outlook, I prefer the Wix, but only because I can get them for cheap. It really is a toss-up between the two. The Wix 57060 that fits the Outlook even has a dome-end bypass, so they really are on an even playing field. We'll see what I can get cheaper next OC.

Bottom line; I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but I would do a couple of searches online to see if you can tell how much shorter the filter element is in a Wix, in your application.

Every purolator I've seen so far has been made in the USA. six is starting to have more and more made in Mexico and China if I am remembering correctly. Nothing but classics and pureones on my vehicles from now on. Back when I worked at O'Reilly during college we swore by them, then I was introduced to Purolator when I joined this forum and have been using them ever since.

Wix is a good filter but I go P-Classic for camry and Brute Force Quad and MC/P1 for F-150 and P1 for Armada. I've cut a few of the filters (messy!! I'm not very good at it) and they looked great.

Cool video!
thumbsup2.gif

I like WIX for several reasons. WIX uses a coil spring instead of a leaf spring. The bypass valve is at the top instead of the bottom.

Both Purolator and Wix are generally solid products. One should also consider Hastings/Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Bosch... there's other too. There's more good filters than bad, but the bad filters are so easy to get at any mart store... whether it's auto part mart, or junk mart. If you hit a professional auto parts store, or a truck fleet store, you'll likely locate the GOOD stuff.

I most of the independent filter comparison's I've read, Purolator was always near the top.

I'm not saying Wix is bad, but I'd cross the street to get the Purolator over the Wix.

In my mind there WAS no difference until yesterday. I had a Napa Gold (Wix) 7712 on the wife's car. Somehow the filter developed a leak. Filter was tight. There was no grit on the mounting plate of the engine. Gasket looked ok. But somehow it was leaking. Goes to show that every now and then one bad one slips through no matter who the manufacturer is. By the way it was replaced by a Purolator Pureone.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
In my mind there WAS no difference until yesterday. I had a Napa Gold (Wix) 7712 on the wife's car. Somehow the filter developed a leak. Filter was tight. There was no grit on the mounting plate of the engine. Gasket looked ok. But somehow it was leaking.

Probably leaked somewhere on the crimp seal at the base.

Near me the puralators are sold buy walmart and pep boys. The wix are sold under the carquest logo. Are thesethe same grade filters ya'll are talking about coming from professional parts suppliers?

is the napa silver much worse than the napa gold?
is it the same as the wix made microgard and wix made carquest red
which one is better? or are those latter products napa proselects and napa silver is a notch above them?

napa gold=real wix
but how do the other wix made products compare?
are they at the napa siilver level or pro select level
and how does the napa silver compare to the pro select since the napa silvers are cents more than the pro select whereas the napa gold is a few dollars more than the napa silver

is there an equal difference in quality going from pro select to silver to gold
or is there a bigger difference going from silver to gold and the silver is almost like the napa pro select?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back