Excess glue on Wix base plate?

What are your thoughts on the excess glue on the base plate of these Wix (Mexico) filters? I ended up returning them.

1000004237.jpg

Sloppy! Now that they're farming them out to Premium Guard, hopefully they'll improve, although they will still cost 3-4 times of what PG goes for elsewhere. I would buy the Wix/NAPA Golds when Affinia made them, but they are leading the race to the expensive bottom!

Unacceptable lack of quality control. I wouldn't buy WIX, especially with it's poor efficiency.

I recently learned that their filter media is quite a bit smaller than the competition too. Eg:

Fram PH4967: ~80 sq-in
Wix 51394: 47 sq-in

Fram PH7317: ~102 sq-in
Wux 57092: ~67 sq-in

I recently learned that their filter media is quite a bit smaller than the competition too. Eg:

Fram PH4967: ~80 sq-in
Wix 51394: 47 sq-in

Fram PH7317: ~102 sq-in
Wux 57092: ~67 sq-in
Not sure when/where those figures derived, but the previous design (before M&H owners) used Wix thread end bypass piece which did occupy significant space in canister. Most noticeable on smaller filters. Newer Wix design M&H going to, dome bypass with flat stamped spring likely significantly more media area. Also, the Wix equivalent of the Fram 7317 is the 57356. The one shown is actually the 9688 equivalent. But, old specs/design the area difference would hold true..

Bigger point for me, not keen on the coo change. Seen other examples of M&H moving production from US to topic coo, with quality suffering.

What are your thoughts on the excess glue on the base plate of these Wix (Mexico) filters? I ended up returning them.

View attachment 200105
Good Morning Pepe Silvia,
Thank you for the posting.
If the filters came from the factory this way;
My first thought was what is glue doing in that area? The anti drain back rests on the mounting plate and is held in place under spring loaded pressure. My second thought was lack of leadership in driving manufacturing excellence and a quality culture. Clearly this defect was seen by many in the process and they were still put into boxes. I'm glad you returned them.

I noticed the boxes in the background look kind of beat up. Did you get these via mail order or at a retail store?

Not sure when/where those figures derived, but the previous design (before M&H owners) used Wix thread end bypass piece which did occupy significant space in canister. Most noticeable on smaller filters. Newer Wix design M&H going to, dome bypass with flat stamped spring likely significantly more media area. Also, the Wix equivalent of the Fram 7317 is the 57356. The one shown is actually the 9688 equivalent. But, old specs/design the area difference would hold true..

Bigger point for me, not keen on the coo change. Seen other examples of M&H moving production from US to topic coo, with quality suffering.

My apologies, the ~67 sq-in figure was indeed for the 57356 and not the 57092. The 57092 filter media is ~116 sq-in. I noted these figures from Whip City Wrencher videos and other sources that may be dated now.

And you are correct. The old bypass valves took up a significant amount of space. Here's a 51394 where the filter media is ~ 42 sq-in while the equivalent Fram PH4976 has ~80 sq-in. The Wix filter is only half the height of the canister:

PXL_20230912_215852039~2.jpg

Good Morning Pepe Silvia,
Thank you for the posting.
My first thought was what is glue doing in that area? The anti drain back rests on the mounting plate and is held in place under spring loaded pressure. My second thought was lack of leadership in driving manufacturing excellence and a quality culture. Clearly this defect was seen by many in the process and they were still put into boxes. I'm glad you returned them.

I noticed the boxes in the background look kind of beat up. Did you get these via mail order or at a retail store?

These were sold and shipped by Amazon (not that it means much with inventory comingling) back in Sep 2022. Unfortunately I didn't note the production code but I recall they were also manufactured in 2022.

I know there's a risk with Amazon purchases but at least the return process is painless. I'm guessing these were simply resold to the next person.

"lack of leadership in driving manufacturing excellence and a quality culture"

This unfortunately seems to be the norm now in today's race to the bottom. Thank all the Harvard MBAs working at McKinsey for this

My apologies, the ~67 sq-in figure was indeed for the 57356 and not the 57092. The 57092 filter media is ~116 sq-in. I noted these figures from Whip City Wrencher videos and other sources that may be dated now.

And you are correct. The old bypass valves took up a significant amount of space.......
Used many of the Napa Gold 7356 version of the 57356 (same filter) on Hondas. That was back when my local Napa store had semi-annual NG 40% off sale. Always completely satisfied with the results. Never a concern about media area, more than enough holding capacity in a well-maintained vehicle. Also, unlike topic, they were made in US in Gastonia NC. That said, the 51394 pictured above looks ok to me. Like it got the job done.

Linked is likely last 7356 I used in 22 because semi annual sale no longer offered. Also, newer design shown with dome bypass in link. More media area is the plus, but the traditional base end bypass piece which many Wix purists really liked, gone. While topic sold by Amazon, M&H responsible for change in coo. Though I haven't checked O'Reilly AP I 'suspect' they are selling same filter as Amazon, same coo. Benefit of buying at the latter, pre-purchase inspection possible, which is always best practice.

Last edited:
My first thought was what is glue doing in that area?
It's to seal between the base plate and the piece of metal that holds the base plate gasket. You can see the glue seal also on the photo from the ADBV side in post 10. The filters in post 1 just had a little too much glue applied, and it oozed out when assembled as seen in the photos in post 1.

Back