Purolator PureOne Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen a non positive displacement engine oil pump...i.e.every revolution of the pump pushes out the same volume of oil.

Oil filter "flow rate" is completely meaningless in this situation, as the pump pushes the oil through the media at the same rate always.

Media gets too restrictive (clogged), and the pump pushes the filter into bypass (filter bypass)...same volume, but now dirty, ends up at the bearings.

If the filter can develop enough DP to allow the oil pump relief to open, then and only then will I accept that a filter can starve the wear surfaces.

(Above analysis ignores the fact that pump internal leakage increases with backpressure, but only tiny amounts in the pressures we are talking)

Let me "qualify" my statements (Shannow gets it).

PureOne= fits every engine
M1= fits almost every engine
EaO=fits almost every engine
Fram=fits just about everything
Wix = fits just about everything.

99.999% of all filter installations result in NO lingering lifter noise after the engine is started due to filter restriction. 0.000000001 do and appear to get relief from the use of other filters.

Sensible conclusion= those engines in that minority have something "unright" in them that MAKES an otherwise totally transparent filter no longer transparent to oil flow.

Popular opinion= Some filters are just too restrictive.

Which school of thought has the most merit?

confused.gif

No minority. Has been posted dozens of times here. And, I've also switched numerous owners away from pureone filters to quiet engines, all mechanically healthy.

Also, its not just start up noise. Many also have running noises when hot with the pureone that isn't there with other filters. Pureone isn't the only one with issues.
I also find that it is more common with imports then domestics.

Like I said before, all the theory is useless in the real world. So keep your crayon creations on your refrigerators where they belong.
Flow isn't perfect.
Pumps PSI reliefs aren't perfect valves. Leaking more then less with more downstream restriction.
BPV's aren't perfect.
Oil pumps aren't perfect(variable pump slip depending on load/visc).
Pump slip??? who would've thought of that.
So, every revolution of the pump CAN NOT and WILL NOT always push out the same amount of oil. Yep, I've benchtested various pumps. None are perfect.

And, how much surplus oil flow do some engines have? MFG's aren't known for overengineering anything.

And, what statiscal sampling did you derive your numbers from? Based on several hundred cars that I've worked on, I would say Pureone/Toughgard increase engine noise 25% of the time. Extra noise makes the flow/PSI argument meaningless. Its there and goes away with the cheaper premium filter. What gives?

This is interesting. I just bought 2 PureOnes on sale to use for my next 2 OCI's. I'll have to see if there are any weird noises. Then again, I'm using an Auto-RX maintenance dose in oil that's fairly new to my older car. Too many variables to properly test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back