Purolator One PL46128 for 6.7 Powerstroke?

Anyone have any input on this filter? I’m on my second oil change on my 17’ F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke using this filter and had always used OEM up until discovering this baby at Menards for $7.99. Not that I want to cheap out on this truck, but seems like a “quality” filter for the price. I’ve been using PureOne on my Ecoboost’s for quite sometime, and sure haven’t yet had a reason to shy away from them, and after roughly 10,000 miles of using two of them on this truck, I haven’t encountered a reason to shy away from this one either. I’m not trying to be cheap, because I sure haven’t been on the oil selections, just seems like this may be at least as good as OEM for quite a little less $$ and I am a frequent Menards visitor so always handy to grab.

for the diesels that i service, if i cant find an OG backed ultra/titanium and an endurance isn’t made in that size i default to the BOSS. currently have a 2015 power stroke and 2018 cummins with BOSS filters on them. with what we’re experiencing with M+H non wire backed filters tearing i wouldn’t risk it until we see a correction.

Last edited:
Do the PureOnes not have the wire backing on them? Good to know, have not cut one apart. I haven’t done any extended oil changes on this truck mainly because I don’t put all that many miles in it in a year, but it is towing almost all of them, so I have just been changing it every Spring so it’s maybe not quite as big of a deal. Is the latest part# Motorcraft wire backed?
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is OG?

Do the PureOnes not have the wire backing on them? Good to know, have not cut one apart. I haven’t done any extended oil changes on this truck mainly because I don’t put all that many miles in it in a year, but it is towing almost all of them, so I have just been changing it every Spring so it’s maybe not quite as big of a deal. Is the latest part# Motorcraft wire backed?
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is OG?
the OG designation for old fram ultra/titanium’s that had a dual layer of synthetic media supported by metal mesh. they do not produce them anymore. the pure one is not mesh backed nor is the motorcraft. the BOSS is plastic mesh backed however.

Thank you for the heads up, good to know, may grab a Boss next time.
Any idea on a Wix or Amsoils offerings on any kinda backing?

Thank you for the heads up, good to know, may grab a Boss next time.
Any idea on a Wix or Amsoils offerings on any kinda backing?
wix XP series is known for super low efficiency. amsoil’s filter will be the same as an Endruance if they sell it in that size now and is a great choice. rated 99% at 20um

There's nothing wrong with using that Purolator One & to boot you can send an email to get the actual efficiencies of that specific oil filter. No other oil filter company provides that information that I'm aware of. As you see the One filters are excellent at that price point for our Power Strokes. If you're going over 10,000 miles then I'd bump up to the Boss filter w/ "Smart Fusion" Poly mesh backing support.

Purolator Boss is a great filter if you don't care a whit about efficiency and you get enjoyment from actually paying more for the privilege of substandard efficiency. :rolleyes: Go with the "One" in this case.

Efficiency Compairson Graph Pic 2-1-1.jpg

Get a Donaldson P502503. Its only about 25 bucks at fleetpride or the Fleetguard cross ref. youre doing yourself a disservice putting a filter that doesnt really filter, wasting money and shortening the life of your equipment. The graph above proves the Purolator Boss and Wix is snake oil filtration and only appeal to ricers.

Last edited:
Anyone have any input on this filter? I’m on my second oil change on my 17’ F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke using this filter and had always used OEM up until discovering this baby at Menards for $7.99. Not that I want to cheap out on this truck, but seems like a “quality” filter for the price. I’ve been using PureOne on my Ecoboost’s for quite sometime, and sure haven’t yet had a reason to shy away from them, and after roughly 10,000 miles of using two of them on this truck, I haven’t encountered a reason to shy away from this one either. I’m not trying to be cheap, because I sure haven’t been on the oil selections, just seems like this may be at least as good as OEM for quite a little less $$ and I am a frequent Menards visitor so always handy to grab.
P1s have been looking real good for a while now. Wouldn’t hesitate to keep using them on your power stroke.

Get a Donaldson P502503. Its only about 25 bucks at fleetpride or the Fleetguard cross ref. youre doing yourself a disservice putting a filter that doesnt really filter, wasting money and shortening the life of your equipment. The graph above proves the Purolator Boss and Wix is snake oil filtration and only appeal to ricers.

that donaldson looks outstanding. 99% @15um with the donaldson name behind it. guess i’ll have to order a few to keep on hand for my friends with PSD’s.

Purolator Boss is a great filter if you don't care a whit about efficiency and you get enjoyment from actually paying more for the privilege of substandard efficiency. :rolleyes: Go with the "One" in this case.
Several here care about efficiency & still use a Boss filter. To say "If you don't care" about efficiency as if that's true. You're looking at it from an efficiency only point. There's more to the pieces for many on this board than just efficiency.

Several here care about efficiency & still use a Boss filter.
If they really cared about efficiency and made that a factor in deciding what filter to use, they wouldn't settle for 99% at >46 microns, regardless of how good it might look after being used.

"Boss buyers Don't care about efficiency"... That's a ridiculous statement.
Maybe they just really don't understand efficiency, or don't know what the actual spec is. :unsure: Or they just care about "straight pleats". 😄

Don't get me wrong ... nothing wrong with not caring about oil filter efficiency ... 'Mercia !! 🇺🇲

Last edited:
Several here care about efficiency & still use a Boss filter. To say "If you don't care" about efficiency as if that's true. You're looking at it from an efficiency only point. There's more to the pieces for many on this board than just efficiency.

I suppose some Boss users may care about efficiency but are simply ignorant of the facts or alternatively choose to thumb their nose at the the science (refer to the Ascent graph)- that seems to be an emerging trend these days. Other than that, your claim is nonsense 😁

Last edited:

Excellent filters. I used them exclusively for many years in both my PSDs and Ram/Cummins'.

I suppose some Boss users may care about efficiency but are simply ignorant of the facts or alternatively choose to thumb their nose at the the science (refer to the Ascent graph)- that seems to be an emerging trend these days. Other than that, your claim is nonsense 😁
That graph you posted shows the Boss at 99% @ 34um. That's now being "ignorant & not caring" if one were to buy it? I suppose a whole slew of oil buyers are ignorant by your standards & worldview. Many filters are around 99% @ 30um like WM Super Techs for example. I bet your next position is that you only by the "Best oil filter" & "Aren't Ignorant" right?

Last edited:
Back