Purolator PureOne Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a lot on here about the PureOnes having too thick of filter media. Some wondering if it would starve their engine for oil.

I am the guy that, if possible at all, I fill my new oil filter with oil before I put it on the vehicle. I have watched the filter absorb the oil many... many times, lol.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I used a PureOne. I noticed that it took the oil way faster than any filter I've ever seen. This is with Castrol GTX 10w-30, which is what I use in all of my cars.

From seeing that, I'd venture to say that the PureOnes don't really have a flow problem. Has an actual lab test been done to prove/disprove anything?

I used the PureOne on my "toy", which caused cold start clatter at zero and below with 5W30 Mobil 1. Changing to an Amsoil EAO took the cold start clatter away.

Has been discussed many times.

If it starved the engine for oil, then it would result in engine damage -- then lawsuits.

Since there aren't any damage reports at this website, then what you heard is merely hearsay. Other micron-trapping filters like Amsoil or Mobil-1 trap even better than Pure One. Are you suggesting those damage engines too???

I'm saying that what I have 'heard', I have read from this website. I'm not suggesting anything except that I feel that the some of the opinions on this board are wrong... but that is also just an opinion from me. I think these filters flow BETTER than Mobil1, STP, Fram, and Bosch.

No filter has a flow problem, per se~. There may be some lame engines (worn, whatnot) that can show different symptoms that can vary with a filter when cold. There are also engines that can rattle if they drain back (or forward) over a long shut down. Once the engine (internal passages) is full of oil ..there is no such thing as a restrictive filter ...nor a "great flowing filter" unless you've got something wrong.

There are still people that appear to insist on ignoring this. The ONLY time in a normally functioning engine when there can be any appreciable PSID on any filter is when the engine is first started. This assumes that the filter is totally empty and that there is no residual oil in the oil gallery. Think of a combination shot on a pool table. If you've got oil on the back/engine side of the media ..it's a virtual kinetic transfer of motion. The bypass valve limits any PSID ..and this is transitional/transient in duration.

Fords appear to suffer from this more than others, since it's obvious that Ford engine division in pretty anal about the OEM or OEM aftermarket line have silicon ADBV and open end bypass valves.

..but ....but...none of this is altered by the "free flowing" or "restrictive" aspect of the media in a normally functional engine (no worn pump gears ..no radically excessive clearances due to wear). They're all, in terms of draining into an unlimited potential zero discharge environment, VERY restrictive compared to nothing at all. After the engine is fully enveloped ...that's what they appear like ..nothing at all (assuming you're not in relief at the pump).

I had the same question before cosidering use of a PureOne. First, you may be interested to know that PureOne media may not be thicker than most (for my application GM V8). It is actually thinner (I took one apart). It supposedy uses a synthetic material. A few months ago I called Purolator to inquire about flow and I was referred to an engineer. He stated that flow should never be a problem because they have tested their filters to ensure adequate flow for each application. Someone on this site tested the Pureone for pre and post pressure during a cold start in freezing weather using 20W-50 and the filter did not even go into bypass. Grease (screen name) did a study that tested a large number of filters for flow and filtration. The PureOne rated best in terms of pore sizes (smallest pores using microns as a measurement). It also flowed the least amount of fluid which is why I was concerned. But the Grease test was done at low pressures, and the engineer I spoke with, as well as others, assured me that it flows as well as any other filters because the filter is not the most restrictive factor in an automotive oiling system. A lot of folks on this site have been using them for a long time and appear to have no more issues than others are have with other filters. A recent UOA particle count that was posted revealed absolutely incredible filtration with the PureOne. The person who posted it said they would try the EaO next and post the results for comparison. The great thing about the PureOne is the price. $5 per filter for my application. Thats just 2 bucks more than a bargain filter and one third the cost of an EaO. And pricing is even better when on sale. The PureOne is probably just as safe as other filters. Mobil 1, EaO, and others mentioned here are probably great options for you to consider as well. Good luck.

I think Gary did the sub freezing test usg 20W-50. That was you wasn't it Gary?

Well, although I said 20w-50 ..it was another test. I reread the thread (keep in mind that I've done quite a few tests). It was 15w-40 @ 28F with overnight lows near 20F.

I saw PSID activity ONLY when the pump was in relief.

Here's the rub on that. My engine must have one of two conditions by design. Either it caches it's oil in the passages, and every ADBV that I've ever used has held just fine, or the passages are relatively small and immediately fill ..or both.

Now IF my oil passages drained empty (forward, perhaps) ..AND my filter was empty AND my engine took a decent volume of oil to establish "back pressure" ..THEN you may see "routine" PSID (not to be confused with bypass valve opening).

..but AGAIN ..once the engine is enveloped there is no such thing as a poor flowing filter.

It really appears that few choose to understand the concept. Once they have "restrictive" or "better flowing" in there heads ..there's just no turning away from that notion.

When I turn on my engine, both the above and below filter needles swing upward in unison. If the oil is too thick, the engine side needle stops climbing and the pump side needle continues on to the relief limit. Now as the fluid gets "in motion" ..the lower needle (engine side) climbs to almost match the pump side needle. This is the pressure expressed difference between the pump output ..and the realized flow to the engine. As those flows reach near unity (100% of the pump output going to the engine) ..that differential evaporates.

That is, except for exceptional circumstances (whether it be by a particular design or some wear condition) the engine will always be the largest/greatest/most substantial restriction that the oil flow will encounter ....infinitely (not really) more restrictive than the filter is.

First you say they have too thick of media and may starve engines.

Then later you say the filter flows BETTER than Mobil1, STP, Fram, and Bosch.

Which is it?
dunno.gif

You may possibly be thinking of the Purolator Premium Plus when referring to a filter that flows really well. In Grease's report it flowed more than nearly all filters tested, and filtered better than many name brands as well. A real value at $3. Grease's report indicated that the PureOne was not less restrictive than Mobil, STP, Fram, and Bosch. According to many though it flows well enough. I just put one on my Burb today with Delo 15W-40. No chatter at startup. Valvetrain is nice and quiet. I will probably use PureOnes in the summer and Premium Plus in the winter. Just my preference though. Good luck.

Here's what many of you miss here. In Grease's study they applied 10 PSID and measured the flow rate. This, in NO WAY, resembles flow in the engine.

Look at this image. The bottom image is what most of you perceive a filter to resemble. The first "choke" is the filter. The second choke is the engine (left to right).

The top depiction/representation is what the filter looks like in the scheme of things ...and this is so out of proportion it's ridiculous. The choke at the right side would be much smaller. Now do you see why a filter's "free flowing" or "restrictive" nature is a (mostly) non-point???

orificeuv5.jpg

What you have described is what the Purolator engineer also described. And Grease's study was done at low PSI.

Quote:

First you say they have too thick of media and may starve engines.

Then later you say the filter flows BETTER than Mobil1, STP, Fram, and Bosch.

Which is it?
dunno.gif

No, that's what I tried to reiterate the second time. I have been saying the whole time that I think the Purolator PureOnes do not have overly restrictive flow like some people have been saying on this site. I based that on my experience of soley pouring oil into the filter and saw that the filter absorbed, or took in, the oil faster than I have seen a lot of other filters take in. And I have no clue if it really flows better or worse than Mobil1, etc., I was just trying to make the point exaggerated.

BUT, I'm glad to hear about the test of 15w-40 @ 20 - 25F overnight flowed the filter media easily. So, I have no worries at all about the PureOne, and it seems it will be my primary choice of filter now for all of our cars, except the LS1. I guess I'll just stick with Mobil 1's on it.. since I've read great stuff about them on this site, also.

And I understand the concept of not worrying about which filters flow better, or really, which filters are 'restrictive' because NO filter is restrictive in vehicle applications.

Thanks for sharing the test info, that told me exactly what I wanted to know.

Quote:

What you have described is what the Purolator engineer also described. And Grease's study was done at low PSI.

I'm glad that the Puro engineer and I agree. I'd hate to have to educate him also
grin.gif

Just try and keep in mind that in Grease's study (a bangin' project with gobs of data) when they say 10 psi it's actually 10 PSID. There is zero back pressure on it ..which is something most filters only experience for the first startup when empty ..or if the filter and the oil passages empty upon shut down (by design of the engine .and, perhaps, a leaking ADBV). A momentary thing in most cases (non-existent in my observations -to any point of detectability). When you see a delay upon startup for the needle to move, it's more than likely the oil pump "spinning its tires" in an attempt to move a heavy static mass to a flowing mass. Sometimes you too can detect the relief in action. When you see the needle climb and "hang" for a bit ..then continue on upward at a slower rate until it reaches peak ..that's when you're seeing the relief valve close on the pump. More "realized" flow is being produced. Less internalized flow is being shunted.

I really don't know. Haven't seen oil flowing inside a running engine, but upper image looks like a schematic of bearings in the bottom end.

Lower image looks like a schematic of the valve train. Doesn't oil shoot onto the valve cover and then run down to the cams?

Last edited:
jorton,

Those images are merely to demonstrate how your filter perceives pressure. They're pipes. Pipes with chokes. The first choke can represent the filter ...but any old "restriction" will work. Many here perceive the filter as a restriction. They obsess on "flow" ..debate left and right ..up and down ..all about "better flowing" "free flowing" and whatnot.

They see the lower image. A choke with tremendous pressure behind it ..and none after it. Sure, you will see a SUBSTANTIAL PSID across that choke. The end of the pipe is VERY big in comparison. Simple enough there, right??

Now take a peek at the upper image. Fluid flows from left to right ..goes through a choke (in our engine's case, a filter) ...BUT ..lookie lookie ..the end of the pipe is VERY SMALL compared to the choke. So, how much added resistance is the first choke going to add to the total fluid circuit there?? Next to nothing ...JUST like a filter does in the total scheme of oil flow. The ENGINE is BY FAR a VASTLY MORE RESTRICTIVE PASSAGE than the oil filter ONCE the passages are FULLY ENVELOPED.

Let's try this here....

Take any pipe you want ...make it as big as you want. Make it as long as you want ...fill it with whatever you want. Put any restriction you want half way down the pipe.....let's, for the sake of discussion ..the choke/restriction is 1/4 the pipe diameter.... WHOA!! you've now got a big pressure drop, right?? Well, no ...because the end of the pipe has a restriction that's 1/64 of the pipe diameter ..making your intermediate restriction SUBORDINATE to it in terms of pressure alterations in a series circuit.

I've seen Pureones cause noise in various engines, most not worn or tired or with any mechanical problems.

Theory is just that. Real world is different. Sorry, but an oil filter can be restrictive and not flow enough.

Well, offer your own. Again, in the absence of relief valve activity or inordinate internal pump leakage...there can be no alteration to flow.

I'll entertain your plausible explanations for such noise variants occurring with the use of 'restrictive' filters in fully functional engines.

I'd REALLY like to hear it. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back