Purolator PL14610 with tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Looks to me that you cut the media with your hacksaw or whatever cutter you used.Too clean of a tear. Sometin's fishy.

The tear occurred on both ends of the same pleat.

And as noted here by others in this thread, we've seen the exact same thing before. Same spot, by the seam where the pleats are larger, exact same kind of tear.
frown.gif

I just took a Classic off my son's Chrysler a couple weeks ago I shoulda cut it but I think I got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: stranger706
Well thats no bueno. Whats going on with the Classics lately? This seems to be getting more common.

Maybe its because you went 1000 miles over Purolator's 3000 mile FCI recommendation
shocked.gif

Makes me worry about my Motorlator filters...

Does this mean Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator?

Yes

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Well thats no bueno. Whats going on with the Classics lately? This seems to be getting more common.

Maybe its because you went 1000 miles over Purolator's 3000 mile FCI recommendation
shocked.gif

Makes me worry about my Motorlator filters...

Does this mean Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator?

Yes

Doesn't mean Motorcraft filters will have this problem. I've never seen anyone report a similar failure with a Motorcraft filter.

As I said earlier, I think the media used in the Classic is too stiff and brittle, and it seems to tear easily if a pleat gets bent over from the pressure of the oil flow on it. All Purolator has to do is ensure the pleat spacing is tighter near the seam, and/or make the media able to take some bending without tearing at the end caps.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Doesn't mean Motorcraft filters will have this problem. I've never seen anyone report a similar failure with a Motorcraft filter.

I haven't either, and I believe the media in the Motorcrafts is different as efficiency appears to be lower than the Classics, that and they use a LOT of media in Motorcrafts which also helps, not that Classics are lacking but I don't recall the wide gaps at the seam in a Motorcraft either.

Exact same tear happened to me with a P1. I contacted Purolator and they had me to send the filter to them to examine. They sent me 2 new filters. A couple months later I discovered a tear in a classic media and I again contacted Purolator but I never got a response back. Guess they thought I was trying to milk them for free filters... Both were 14610s. I just wanted to inform them of a design issue.

Last edited:
I am not too impressed with that and it seems to be developing into a bit of a trend...

So far I don't believe we have seen this on Bosch, Motorcraft or the Synthetic?

Originally Posted By: trx250x92
Exact same tear happened to me with a P1. I contacted Purolator and they had me to send the filter to them to examine. They sent me 2 new filters. A couple months later I discovered a tear in a classic media and I again contacted Purolator but I never got a response back. Guess they thought I was trying to milk them for free filters... Both were 14610s. I just wanted to inform them of a design issue.

You have me worried, I just removed a Pure 1 a week ago, so I went out and cut it open just now. No tears but I see where the problem area is. This ran about 8 mos around 5k. I use the GM oil life monitor, it was at 35%. I switched to Wix, and I am glad I did. There is a small crack in the glue area of problem pleat next to the crimp. #PL14006

I had time to get a closer look at my P1. The severely bent pleat (the one touching the crimp) has actually separated from the glue. I think the pleat started to pull free. You can wiggle it back and forth. The problem area is at the top of the picture. I am wondering if it didn't break free, maybe it would have torn like the others. I think Purolator has a problem they need to correct. I won't buy any more.

I have a few puro's on my shelf i guess when they get used i will start cutting them open as well to see any issues.

If so maybe I will switch to another, defintely not orange though :p

but I will always use motorcrafts.

mainly only using purolator/qstate filters on my the cycles and 4wheelers, I'd use a motorcraft filter if i could find one that fit.

May switch to wix.

is the pure one any better?
i like the flow of the classics but i am going to cut a few of them open this week and decide if i am going to use them anymore..they used to be good

I've personally never seen any tears in a PureOne. As I mentioned in my thread showing the Classic I had with a tear, the PureOne's media seems to be less stiff & brittle as compared to the Classic's media.

Stiff & brittle media being bent over by oil flow (due to large pleat spacing) puts stress on the roots of the pleats at the end caps, and caused tears to occur.

My pure 1 did tear, it wasn't the glue. It was hard to see without magnification and my eyes don't focus well up close. I zoomed in with my camera. It's near the crimp where the pleat gap widens.

This is scary to me....I have a few P1's left, I may just abandon them and switch to Wix/CarQuest/Napa filters.

We just need 1 report of a Fram tearing and then everyone will start to cut open their Fram filters. Then everyone will switch to another brand and the cycle repeats . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back