Purolator cartridge filter L25608 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 6 Purolator L25608 during a recent trip to the US. All 6 purchased at Pep Boys.

I know the quality compared to the Toyota OEM isn't as good. The glue applied to it is not uniform on both sides, but for a manufacturer-mandated 5k OCI, I think they can handle the relatively short interval. Note: Canadian Lexus owners are required to do 5k OCIs.

I noticed on two of the filters, some of the spacing between the pleats are uneven. Should I just go ahead and use them or should they go straight to the recycle bin? Thoughts? Photo taken below.

photo2jk.jpg

Use them ... that pleat spacing won't hurt anything.

Agree with ZO, if pleat spacing is your main concern, go ahead and use them, that shouldn't be an issue here.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of a center cage on the Puro's shown. That said, some engine cartridge housings have a built in cage. I'd check and compare them to the Toyota oem to see if they have a center tube cage. If the Puros and oem look similar(no centertube cage) then I'd say they should work fine for a 5k oci.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How do you know the quality compared to Toyota OEM is not as good?

I'm judging this by what I see when looking at the filter compared to an OEM. Not only is the glue applied inconsistent, but there were also a number of these filters at Pep Boys that had a small tear on the pleats. The surprising thing about this is the number of filters on their shelves that had this tear. Furthermore, I noticed this at multiple Pap Boys locations which suggests to me there maybe is a QC issue perhaps.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I'd be more concerned about the lack of a center cage on the Puro's shown. That said, some engine cartridge housings have a built in cage. I'd check and compare them to the Toyota oem to see if they have a center tube cage.

The Toyota filter housings contain the center cage for these cartridge filters.

OP, I would just use these and not worry about the pleat spacing.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Originally Posted By: sayjac

I'd be more concerned about the lack of a center cage on the Puro's shown. That said, some engine cartridge housings have a built in cage. I'd check and compare them to the Toyota oem to see if they have a center tube cage.

The Toyota filter housings contain the center cage for these cartridge filters.

OP, I would just use these and not worry about the pleat spacing.

^ this

They have permanent centre cages as part of the cartridge housing, or that's how it is on my Corolla.

I've purchased toyota OEM filters with pleat spacing similar to those. Just make sure everything is bonded nicely and it will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back