PureOne gasket failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
have went through a lot of pureones, no problems ever. i've never had a problem with any filter i used actually.

only filter i did not like was the amsoil, the gasket was so darn thick that it made it difficult to remove

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Of course we all know that the Bosch...is a clone of the P1...without the yellow/gold rough surface.

Are we sure that's true? I've cut both open and the P1 seems to have tighter pleats, thus more media. See the pictures of the ones I cut open and you'll probably see what I mean.

PureONE
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2069279

Bosch Premium
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2508704

I still have the cut open Bosch Premium. I should probably cut out the media, measure it, and report back, eh?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i would think the tighter the pleats the more restrictive it will be

More like the tighter the pleats are together, the more pleats there are, which means there's more surface area giving less restriction to flow. Small gaps between the pleats really does nothing in terms of oil flow restriction.

Originally Posted By: Ojustracing
Are you sure it was the filter? The oil pressure switch is above the filter. On the older ones they leak and it looks just like the filter is leaking. Just another thing to look for.

John

I considered this, but looking at the filter gasket I was pretty sure that was the culprit. But I haven't driven it much since the last oil change, so I'll check it again after a few miles.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
IMO, if the filter was solely responsible for the 3/4qt loss of oil, you would/should noticed something on the ground where you park overnight.

I did notice spots on the ground.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Are we sure that's true? I've cut both open and the P1 seems to have tighter pleats, thus more media. See the pictures of the ones I cut open and you'll probably see what I mean.

PureONE
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2069279

Bosch Premium
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2508704

I still have the cut open Bosch Premium. I should probably cut out the media, measure it, and report back, eh?

I just finished cutting the media out of the Bosch Premium 3323 that I had. It was about 2 5/16 inches wide by 47 1/2 inches long. That calculates to an area of about 110 square inches.

To my surprise, that is 5 square inches more than the PL14610 I'd previously cut open and measured. I don't know if I stretched the Bosch media more this time than the PureONE media last time or what. I have a used PureONE out in the garage cabinet. Maybe I'll cut it open today/tomorrow and measure it and see how it compares.

So I just cut open the used PureONE PL14610 that I had out in the cabinet. It measured out the same as the Bosch Premium 3323.

Comparing the two, cut-open filters side-by-side, from everything my eyes can see, the two are identical.

Given that I'm not a fan of the textured yellow paint on the PureONEs, of the two, I prefer the Bosch and its black can.

Bump, noticed the uber-thin gasket on the last two Purolator filters I installed.

The gasket does appear to squeeze quite a bit after proper tightening and I was seriously concerned about leaks.

I think I am going back to Fram filters, especially since the efficiency is higher and the gaskets are of a better quality.

Bosch Premium filters have nitrile gaskets instead of the silicone (?) gaskets of the P1s. Are these equally as thin or low quality in your opinion?

I would cut open the suspect filter and see if the inside looks normal. I would not rule out a counterfeit product. Seems like the leak occurred during a 500 mile window, which seems odd for a gasket being at fault.

Having run out of my stash of Purolator One PL30001s, I recently ordered a couple new ones from Amazon. Gone is the mustard yellow non-slip coating. It's been replaced by a glossy metallic blue paint. Shame. I could easily grip and twist the filter by the non-slip coating without resorting to a filter wrench. Progress.
frown.gif

Here's a link to a photo of one disassembled (not mine, but another PL30001):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bigodave/PurolatorPureONEPL30001.jpg

Looking at Purolator's web site, there's no hint that the mustard yellow anti-slip is passé, but I did notice there's mention of a Synthetic filter (PSL series part numbers) with a blue anti-slip coating (that was news to me).

I could have sworn the PL30001 had synthetic filter media. The filter study at minimopar says synthetic media. Purolator's web site only says "micronic media," reserving the term "synthetic" for it's new PLS line of filters.

At - price point).

Have the Purolator Synthetic (PSL series) filters been reviewed here on BITOG? Maybe my search skills aren't what they used to be.

Originally Posted By: Arved
Having run out of my stash of Purolator One PL30001s, I recently ordered a couple new ones from Amazon. Gone is the mustard yellow non-slip coating. It's been replaced by a glossy metallic blue paint. Shame. I could easily grip and twist the filter by the non-slip coating without resorting to a filter wrench. Progress.
frown.gif

Here's a link to a photo of one disassembled (not mine, but another PL30001):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bigodave/PurolatorPureONEPL30001.jpg

Looking at Purolator's web site, there's no hint that the mustard yellow anti-slip is passé, but I did notice there's mention of a Synthetic filter (PSL series part numbers) with a blue anti-slip coating (that was news to me).

I could have sworn the PL30001 had synthetic filter media. The filter study at minimopar says synthetic media. Purolator's web site only says "micronic media," reserving the term "synthetic" for it's new PLS line of filters.

At - price point).

Have the Purolator Synthetic (PSL series) filters been reviewed here on BITOG? Maybe my search skills aren't what they used to be.

I think you got old stock PureOnes, glossy blue is what they used to be I believe.

There is one thread on here somewhere regarding the synthetic Puro I think. PureOnes are not synthetic IIRC but are very high efficiency filters.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I think you got old stock PureOnes, glossy blue is what they used to be I believe.

That's what I was thinking also.

Arved - there should be a manufacturing date code on the can someplace. What is the code?

Yes blue is old stock.

There was an recommendation somewhere, I think it was Motorcraft, which said to use a filter within 5 years.

The exception was if it was FRAM, in which case don't use it at all.

RE the 14459 vs the14610 and the difference in media area... if this holds true of Puro or Wix, does it hold true in all brands when you cross reference?

I have one of each in the Fram Ultra line, an XG3593A (14459 cross) and XG7317) 14610 cross. Loath to waste two new filters, I enquired to Fram as to the media area difference between them. Unfortunately, I disclosed fully why I was interested and put them in the difficult position of not wanting to comment on installing a filter onto an application for which it was not designed. That said, I was able to get one spec... that there is only one gram of capacity difference between them.

My source also made the (good) point that if the filter were to fail for any reason and ruined your engine, it would be a lot harder, if not impossible, to make a claim because you installed a filter not spec'ed for your engine.

I'm not a "Chicken Littler" whose bowels go loose every time the specter of a denied warranty claim looms, but one must still gauge the risk vs the benefit. Is one gram of capacity, or 20 square inches of media worth the risk? You can decide that as I have.

I would still caution that just because one brand of filter shows this difference in filter area that the next brand will hold absolutely to that when you cross reference. I'm still trying to encourage my curiosity to fight a little harder against my cheapskate nature, so if I ever do cut the aforementioned Frams, I'll post the pics. In looking at them, looking down the mounting hole bore, measuring roughly, I don't see all that much difference in the amount of media between these two Fram Ultras. That remains to be determined exactly in a virgin autopsy, however.

Last edited:
Also, RE filter storage life, I interviewed a number of filter experts that agreed with a 3-5 year timeframe in normal circumstances, shorter in humid situations (due to cellulose media not doing well in humid environments long term). Most would agree that is good, dry temperature stable storage, there is no reason why you couldn't go lots longer. I have experimented with using a Foodsaver to vacuum pack filters and more or less put them in "suspended animation." In that case, I would think storage life would be nearly unlimited.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

That's what I was thinking also.

Arved - there should be a manufacturing date code on the can someplace. What is the code?

Hmmm... interesting. I looked on the filters and the boxes. The only date I could find was the copyright date on the box that shows the blue filter. The copyright date was 2004, so yes, it seems this is NOS. Weird thing is, when I ordered filters a couple years ago, I got the mustard yellow ones. I guess Amazon uses a "First in last out" shelving system, and doesn't rotate stock. :-(

When did Purolator adopt the mustard yellow anti-slip coating on it's filters?

I searched, but couldn't find any mention of the Purolator synthetic filter.

I may have to rethink my choice in filters, given Amazon shipped an obsolete filter. It was a good deal while it lasted. Glad I didn't stock up with a dozen of these, like I did the last time.

I have no idea how Amazon stores filters, so I have to assume the worst. The fact that I was shipped an obsolete filter does not speak well for Amazon's warehousing practices.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
The exception was if it was FRAM, in which case don't use it at all.

"Friends don't let friends use FRAM." They paint it safety orange for a reason. AFAIK, they're the only filter brand to be the subject of a NHTSB recall, and to have been banned by at least one motorsport sanctioning body. Old history, for sure, but still history.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
RE the 14459 vs the 14610 and the difference in media area... if this holds true of Puro or Wix, does it hold true in all brands when you cross reference?

I highly doubt it. For instance, in a drastic example I just discovered that MAHLE crosses their p/n OS 338 to the Purolator p/n 20195. The MAHLE has 83 sq-in of media area (measured by Texan4Life), and the 20195 has 168 (measured by me) ... basically twice the area on the Purolator.

Only way to know what each filter has in media surface area is to cut them open and measure it. Can't count on all the cross referenced filters to hold true in the media area department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back