PureOne gasket failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff notes: PureOne PL14610 filter gasket looks like it collapsed on me, causing an oil leak. Anybody else had this issue lately? Should I use up my remaining 4 PL14610's?

07 Honda Accord, 2.4L I4. Oil change at 107,258mi. w/ Purolator PL14610 and Edge Titanium 5W-20. Skip forward to just before the next change. I had put 1000 miles on the car that week, and before my first 500 miles, the oil level had been up to full and consistently full for the last 2000+. After the first 500, there was a 3/4qt drop in level. When I went to change the oil again at 114,551 (~7300 OCI), I noticed a leak from the oil filter. The bottom of the car was coated with a decent sized patch of oil.

The filter gasket was completely flush with the metal edges of the filter when I removed it. I don't recall any of my filters being like that before, is that normal? I seriously doubt I overtightened it, because I never use a wrench and I removed the filter with normal filter-removal strength by hand. Note, the o-ring does not look like it popped out. I check and lube all my filter o-rings before I put them on (usually before I buy them, but these came from Amazon) and didn't notice any abnormalities on this one.

A couple folks on the Saturn Ion forums also reported gasket issues on these Purolators:
http://www.ionforums.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9974

Is this becoming a common issue? A bad batch? What would you do? I have four of these things left, should I keep using them? (K&N HP-1010 on the car now because I had two fresh ones from oil filter deals)

Last edited:
i recently had an issue with the threads on a classic there was a sharp piece of metal from when they machined the threads that actually cut my finger.
we have group 7 filters at the shop and they are usually ok they are made by purolator also

Are you sure it was the filter? The oil pressure switch is above the filter. On the older ones they leak and it looks just like the filter is leaking. Just another thing to look for.

John

I've used many of the PL14610 on Honda's and Nissan's, never had a gasket leak issue of any kind. If using hand tight need to make sure you tighten 2/3-3/4 of a turn after gasket contacts the engine block.

That said, the PL14610 gasket level does generally have a tight/close tolerance with the metal outer can seam level. Again though, never been an issue in my experience.

IMO, if the filter was solely responsible for the 3/4qt loss of oil, you would/should noticed something on the ground where you park overnight.

I stopped using Pure One's when they decided to put overspray on the gasket, etc., when painting the new (mustard) texture paint, around the can.

Gasket issues now? I wouldn't doubt it.............sell your remaining 4 on ebay, there are better filters out there.

I've never had a gasket fail on any filter. However, Amazon sells from their own stock or from 3rd party sellers. I only buy from Amazon if the product is from them.

I never had a problem with a Purolator filter. I'd be willing to bet Purolator buys those gaskets from the same company that supplies other filter makers with gaskets. I have a feeling they don't make their own filter gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Nightmare
I stopped using Pure One's when they decided to put overspray on the gasket, etc., when painting the new (mustard) texture paint, around the can.

Gasket issues now? I wouldn't doubt it.............sell your remaining 4 on ebay, there are better filters out there.

Nightmare states; "there are better filters out there".

And what filters (in the same price range)...might that be?

BTW....have been using PureOne's for over four years now....never an issue with the gaskets....or anything else for that matter. I still think PureOne's are the 'best bang for the buck'.

Originally Posted By: Nightmare

I feel the same about the P1's as well and tend to stay away from them because the overspray can be found on and around the gasket, inside the threads and anywhere else where oil will get in contact with the textured pieces of junk. Sure it might get trapped by the filter but I don't like the thought of it and want a clean filter.

Probably off topic, but next time you order try the PL14459 instead of 14610. A little shorter, fatter can. More filter area inside, same gasket diameter/thread/relief setting. I've been using them on my 3 Honda V6 engines for years now.

Originally Posted By: mahansm
Probably off topic, but next time you order try the PL14459 instead of 14610. A little shorter, fatter can. More filter area inside, same gasket diameter/thread/relief setting. I've been using them on my 3 Honda V6 engines for years now.

The 14459 has less media area than the 14610.

14459 = 85 sq-in
14610 = 104 sq-in

This has been verified by a few members by disection and measuring the media in each filter.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
BTW....have been using PureOne's for over four years now....never an issue with the gaskets....or anything else for that matter. I still think PureOne's are the 'best bang for the buck'.

+1 Been using them at least that long or longer, including when the first new textured P1 was introduced. Though some had issues with initial overspray, I never did. Afaik, that has long since been corrected and one member who did, returned the new textured P1's for overspray got full replacement and on Puro's postage dime. Old news, but it clearly dies hard for some.

Pertaining to the yellow textured paint overspray on PureOnes, I take the base gasket out of the filter and clean up any overspray with carb cleaner sprayed on a Q-tip. Only takes a couple minutes to do. I also look for any stray metal burrs on the threads and clean up if required. I do this on any filter I buy regaurdless of brand.

I've had several P1 gaskets stay on the block recently, while others don't do this. Same car/app. Maybe they are just susceptible to over tightening 'issues' more easily that the other filters I've used?

i dont like the sandy overspray either and when i used to use a pure one on my dodge van 318 it took a little longer for the oil pressure to get up to normal and there was a startup tick every now and then

Yes, Oregoonian there are better filters out there.

Same price range,= Bosch, if you want the same thing, without the
overspray. But then I never said in the same price range, I stated there are better ones out there...depends on his needs, application, etc.

Of course we all know that the Bosch...is a clone of the P1...without the yellow/gold rough surface.

As someone mentioned....the overspray issue....is a thing of the past...so there is no reason to avoid the P1.....and the P1 is usually a little cheaper than the Bosch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back