purchasing new firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brueggma

Everyone,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I actually do already have an Rem 870, but don't you think it's a little large for indoor use?

I'm afraid that I'd have problems maneuvering around corners and door ways. I guess I could have a gun smith cut off the butt of the gun, and just make it a pistol grip..

Again thank you.
That may not be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: PRND3L
+1. Maks are the AK-47 of pistols for their reliability. The only drawback IMO are the small fixed sights and dodgy adjustable rear sights that were installed on many to get by the import restrictions.

Somebody knows what Im talking about! You can never go wrong with a good Makarov!!!! One of the best handgun deals you can buy on the market today. $200 and your set for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Jam-o-Matics?! Poor performance!!??!?! Bewildered on that comment. Russian handguns are great performers with excellent reliability. Im assuming you have experience with Russian handguns to make that comment at least?

You assume correct. I've had friends and co-workers who have spent quite a bit of time to get them to work and most still don't function reliability 100% of the time.

Also nice to skip over my comment on the shotguns.

Bill

I find russian weapons to be hit and miss, some work great, and other fail miserably.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Jam-o-Matics?! Poor performance!!??!?! Bewildered on that comment. Russian handguns are great performers with excellent reliability. Im assuming you have experience with Russian handguns to make that comment at least?

You assume correct. I've had friends and co-workers who have spent quite a bit of time to get them to work and most still don't function reliability 100% of the time.

Also nice to skip over my comment on the shotguns.

Bill

I find russian weapons to be hit and miss, some work great, and other fail miserably.

true true, but if you stay away from a lot of the norinco chinese models your probably ok. even the cheapest romanian copies are fantastic. other than a mosin nagant its really difficult to get a real russian surplus weapon these days.

Last edited:
If you buy a quality firearm and maintain it reasonably, the odds are in your favor it will outlast you.

My first pistol I wanted cheap...cheap gun and cheap ammunition. I got a phoenix arms .22 and it would jam once every clip, so I took it back and traded in on a Ruger 9mm which was $350 OTD

If you want to use a shotgun, look at what I just got, it was $340 OTD

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1946290&page=4

20" barrel for good maneuverability

Why would anyone purchase from Gun Genie? You're better off leaving them out of it and going directly to your dealer...

yaris0128 - I assume that you have experience with the Norinco Chinese models to make that kind of statement???
wink.gif

The Chinese firearms, many of which are copies of the Russian weapons you are defending (rightly so), are reliable and are of good quality. Firearms are one product that the Chinese make very well!

Originally Posted By: brueggma

Greetings,

I'm interested in a revolver for home defense. I've recently gone to the local shop and was thrown back quite a bit by the prices I saw. I don't think I can justify ~$400+ for a handgun to myself, much less the wife.

the cheapest one: EAA's Windicator for ~$280.

I agree with Bill and other posters on shotgun effectiveness for home defense.

For the "out the door" cost of a uber-basic cheap handgun (+two boxes of FMJ and one box of JHP) that is very hard for beginners (and even seasoned gun users) to use effectively as a home defense boogie-man stopper, you could:

1. Purchase Remmy 870 Youth or Mossy Super Bantam, 20ga (the barrels on these are only 20-22" vent rib)
2. Purchase 2-4 boxes of light #8 target loads
3. Go to the local gun club with the wife and have a gas learning safety and hitting clays

The result: two people (including a female who may be weaker, more vulnerable, and less-than-enthused about guns and weapons) who are capable of hitting moving targets with a weapon that is proven to stop all but the most drug-riddled zombies, which is small enough (35" OAL) to be maneuverable in the home.

Last edited:
Good advice on the shotgun over pistol for home defense. Shorter barrels for your 870 are cheap and easy to swap out.

You can buy home defense shotgun shells that are shorter in length so you can put more of them in the magazine and they have less recoil.

Buy an 18 inch barrel for your 870. They are only $80-120 and extremely easy to change. Walmart sells buckshot for it too.

Also, old 38 special revolvers, like Smith model 10, 65, 66 are easily found at gun stores for around $225 and up in my area. They might be 15-40 years old, but they still work fantastic and will continue to work for a long time.

I would take an American made Smith and Wesson or Ruger over a Russian or Chinese surplus pistol any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not to mention premium hollowpoint self defense ammo is easily found in .38 spl. Try and find premium hollowpoint ammo in 7.62x25 or 9x18 mak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back