Purchasing a car based on reliability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bare Bones Toyota LE with 2.4L and an Automatic. I got my 2003 brand new with 4 miles on it for $17,000 before financing. It has clothe seats, all power window's, power seat on the drivers side, nice 8 speaker CD/Radio/Tape deck and air conditioning oh and a manual transmission. The automatic version cost $1000 more.

I called around and only talked to Toyota Fleet sales people not the average Joe on the lot. I told them it about the cost and only about the cost and that I would sign that day and take deliver if they could match my GM Supplier Discount on an Impala. She said $17K for an LE and I said sold. I signed the papers with out even a test a drive.Plus they took my Dodge Dakota in trade and paid it off. Over all my payments where $175 less then my Dakota even though I had something between 0-4% financing on the Dakota.

So far under warranty needed no repairs at all. Out of warranty they good faithed a belt and tensioner because I complained it was noiesy not bad or failing just noisy on cold start. It is more reliable then a swiss watch and it has cost me nothing in the 6 years I have owned it besides routine maintence!

In fact since 1979 when my Mom and Dad traded in their last Mopar and started owning Toyota's we have only had about 3 warranty issues since 1979. My Dodge did not have a single part under the hood except the engine that was OEM and the suspension had to be worked on too. I was at the dealer at least every other month the two years I owned it for a recall or TSB or warranty repair.

The wifes Buick was my Grandmother's and it was always serviced at the dealership and had the best of everything and still the transmision failed at 104,000 and everything except the engine and main computer has had to be replaced under the hood. The car has about 140,000 mile on it and it has had the following done to it by me because GM does nto stand behind their products even if their is a TSB unless it is under warranty to the origianal owner at least back then they did not.

Transmission
Upper Intake
lower intake
water pump
water pump inlet and outlet tubes
starter
battery
spark plugs
wires
ignition control model/coil pack
every single sensor bolted tot he engine except the crank senor
part of the engine wire harness
the wire harness for the igniticon control modual and crank sensor
3 set's of struts I have them in the trunk right now and they where replaced at 75K before.
in 20K miles it went through 4 master cylinders
Pins replaced 3 times,rotors replaced twice
All the plastic pieces in the interior began falling off the car at around 120K miles
PCV valve
When I bought it at 104,000 the pan,front and rear seal,transmission,and power steering units all leaked and all but the transmission still leaks.
I had to spend about 3 hours cleaning and resealing the battery cables because of GM's poor design with the stupid side post's it allows corrision to hid in huge amounts inside the boots.
The bolts that hold the K-Member to the chasis all had to be replaced because they had rusted away.
I had to replace bleeders because they sheared off under the ligthest of torque.

So her Buick has had more work done to it by me than all the car's I have owned and my parents have owned combined!Keep inmind I had one Toyota inthe family for over 17 years and I am including that one in the mix as well.

So if you plan on owning the car longer then you will be paying for it then I think history is on the side of Lexus/Toyota as the first pick, Honda as a second pick. I might be wrong but I think Ford has finaly surpassed GM in quality and durability of it other products besides the F150 but I am not sure on that one . I just know they have been working hard to get their quality up.

If you're considering a Matrix, you're obviously looking at a small hatchback. If I were looking at a small hatchback and reliability were my biggest concern, the Matrix would be at the top of the list.

As far as a general 'what is the most reliable', I think it's not necessarily the best to look at just a nameplate. All the makes have winners and losers, even among different years.

I find it funny that "Honda Accord" tops the list in the first couple of Google searches. What if you happened to buy a 2002 Accord? http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliab...p;wa=wsignin1.0

Looks like there may be better options.

Reliability data by manucturer can describe some very general trends, but the data are fraught with so many holes I could drive a Crown Vic through them... I think I'd be inclined to research a specific model's trends, and while it's not perfect I think MSN has the most complete data set out there. Lists of 'top 10 manufacturers' strike me as nearly worthless.

I missed the Toyota Matrix part... Check out the Hyundai Elantra Touring edition. It's much cheaper in price than a Toyota Matrix, has a better warranty and IMO will last just as long. It also looks better I find the latest styling of the Matrix to be ugly...

Here is what it looks like:

hyundaielantratouring.jpg

HyundaiElantraTouring_1.jpg

2009-hyundai-elantra-touring.jpg

What's good for a guy in a wheelchair (for extreme example) who can't open the hood to check the oil may not be the same thing that's good for someone who lives on a dirt road that vibrates stuff to bits.

And reliability != durability, you can have a "disposable" car that gets oil changes only for the first 150k that then suddenly is plagued with brittle wiring etc that makes eventual repair ultimately frustrating and expensive. A diesel benz needs more tinkering (valve adjustments etc) but lasts darn near forever.

Alternatively you could have something that never leaves you stranded but throws all kinds of OBDII codes for stupid stuff like EVAP leaks, and depending on where you live, this may or may not legally take you off the road.

In short, need more info. BTW, coworker's 03 Vibe has the abovementioned perpetual EVAP leak, and it looks like a $$$ charcoal canister is to blame.

When I began shopping for a used car, I took a look at Subaru. I've always admired the looks of the 2000-2004 Legacy sedan's, these were in my price range, so that's what I went looking for. I checked Consumer Reports, sure enough, every car Subaru has manufactured since 2000 has gotten a "recommended" rating. Being out here in Colorado, with the cold, snowy winters and [censored] road maintenance made Subaru even more attractive.

I found a 2004 Legacy with 78,000 miles, in very nice condition, drove it, really liked it, bought it. I paid $7900 and this is a great car.

I would have to think a 5spd 4 cyl early 2000's Accord/Civic/Corolla/Camry would be hard to beat for reliability. V6 or V8 engines have twice as many parts and gaskets to fail. Same with automatics and AWD, your just multiplying parts that can fail.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I would have to think a 5spd 4 cyl early 2000's Accord/Civic/Corolla/Camry would be hard to beat for reliability. V6 or V8 engines have twice as many parts and gaskets to fail. Same with automatics and AWD, your just multiplying parts that can fail.

The total number of parts when you're talking about a 4 valve DOHC 4 cylinder vs a pushrod V8 isn't that much different.

Some of the old TH350 and TH400 transmissions will outlast a manual trans and especially the clutch. I know that's irrelevant since both of those ceased to exist many, many years ago.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
There is no question I am biased.

Now that you've finally admitted it, here's the question:

Was there ever any doubt in anyone's mind that you weren't?

21.gif

Originally Posted By: Paul56
...which one would you purchase? Brand & model.

Right now, I'm looking at the Toyota Matrix.

In general (depending on the year -- and it's a very slight difference), the Pontiac Vibe has a few more CR red and half-red dots and fewer black dots than the Matrix.

never seen anything run as long as the CVic, GMarquis, or the Lincolns.

A business owner locally has a fleet of taxis and they ROUTINELY run those things 300-400 thousand miles without major repairs.

Cheap and safe, hard to beat.

And remember that stats only apply to the group, not individuals.

Your mileage may vary!

The Matrix would be a good choice.
I am partial to Hondas, though, and I think you would be very happy with an Accord. We have always had good experience with the Hondas we have owned.
The Crown Vic certainly has its share of satisfied owners and they do seem to do very well in their first lives with police agencies everywhere, as well as in their second lives as taxis.
We like our Sube, but there have been head gasket problems with some, and not all of those with problems have been 2.5 liters either.
The main concern with the Subaru over time is that the four cylinder has two of most things an inline four has but one of. This will make any needed repair more costly, including routine future service, like the timing belts.
Pick your poison. If you get a good example of almost anything you might buy, it should serve you well.

I have had two Buicks hit 200K miles with very few problems, a 1982 Buick Skylark and a 2002 Buick Century. I had a 1989 Pontiac 6000 that I drove for 6 years, then sold to my father and he drove it for another 4-5 years before he junked it. It too had over 200K miles, and other than a reoccuring water pump that seemed to need replacing every 30-30K miles it was rock solid.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
never seen anything run as long as the CVic, GMarquis, or the Lincolns.

Any 4.0 Jeep (Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee) will match the Panther Fords and beat the Civic for durability. Too bad they don't still make it. The jury's still out on the 3.8 powered Wranglers, but if it doesn't match the 4.0 Wrangler it will be because of the REST of the vehicle getting watered down and tarted up compared to the old ones, not the 3.8 engine itself.

I can attest to the 4.0L Jeep engines. Ours was new in 94 when my brother bought it. He treated it with lack of maintenance, 8k dino changes(city driven), I got it, 3k/3month oci's(which happened to be every 2 weeks at the time). Engine was cleaned up a bit with my maintenance habits, trans fluid wasn't flushed till about 160k miles. Plugs were done at 120k. All normal or overly late maintenance. The only thing that went wrong with it was the radiator at about 160k gave and he needed a new one and replaced the hoses for it. Jeep was clunkered by my parents at 225k+ miles at over 14 years old. This past year it was starting to rust badly, but it sat for two years, always started on the first crank, no matter what was thrown at it weather wise it took us anywhere we wanted to go and never broke down or needed anything major.

That 4.0L engine has been in use for so longer it was practically bullet proof. I doubt there were many engine related problems on the 4.0L nor the auto or manual transmissions. Pure tanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies

That 4.0L engine has been in use for so longer it was practically bullet proof. I doubt there were many engine related problems on the 4.0L nor the auto or manual transmissions. Pure tanks.

And they kept getting better as the years went by- stronger blocks, stiffening girdles, better manifolds, etc. Probably peaked in 1998 or 1999, because in 2000 they changed the head to support distributorless ignition and the first version had casting problems and tends to crack, but that was fixed again in 2001.

The 4.0 isn't actually as old as most people think. It was a clean-sheet-of-paper engine designed in about 1984 or 1985. Everyone thinks its a derivative of the old AMC 258 from the 60s, but its not. AMC did keep the same bore-center spacings, bearing diameters, deck height, etc. from the 258, though, so you can drop a 258 crank, rods, and pistons in a 4.0 and get a low-buck stroker engine.

There were a lot of transmissions used behind the 4.0- Chrysler 904 and Aisin AW-4 automatics, Aisin AX-15 and New Venture Gear NV3550 manuals. All of those were solid boxes. The worst were the AX-5 and Pugeout 5-speed manuals used in the early years.

Ford Escape, Ranger, F150 or Focus.. Primarily bought 'em after I seen how they held up under commercial use. They can take quite a beating. Toyota might be another but I certainly wouldn't pay premuim for their sheet metal or parts though.

The 4.0 I6 is not made any longer guys so it has no place in this discussion how about you pick an engine that is still available in a new vehicle. I could recommend a slant six but I do not think the guy wants a 1970's Dart Swinger!

Stay away from anything Dodge makes with the 2.7 in it it is still a sludge motor and nothing has changed about it's packaging.

No, but the 4.0L can be bought in many good-condition pre-owned. The cherokee, or wrangler with the 4.0L is always a good choice. Pre-owned is actually best, because you are getting huge bang-for-buck.

EDIT: And they fixed the Chrysler 2.7L V6 about 02-03. It doesn't sludge anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back