PTO Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about acquiring a generator to be powered by the PTO of one or the other of my JD tractors. Seven to 15 KW models seem most appropriate for my needs. I know NOTHING about the subject other than what I've gleaned from the web. I'd rather not buy something made in China because of potential quality issues.

Looking for feedback from those on this board who have knowledge and experience in the matter.

I grew up on a dairy farm and we had a Winco PTO generator for backup use. Matter-of-fact, my mom still has it and it works great. While I can't speak about the ones that have been built recently, the company has an excellent reputation around here and I believe they are still American made. Having one shipped to your state will surely add to the costs of one, however.
Edit: Looked at their web site. Looks like your state has some dealers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marco246
I'm thinking about acquiring a generator to be powered by the PTO of one or the other of my JD tractors. Seven to 15 KW models seem most appropriate for my needs. I know NOTHING about the subject other than what I've gleaned from the web. I'd rather not buy something made in China because of potential quality issues.

Looking for feedback from those on this board who have knowledge and experience in the matter.

Is that JD a farm tractor or a yard type? 15 KW may be a too much for a smaller unit. HP? Gas or diesel?

What you propose is very good usage of an asset. Makes sense to use an engine rather than buy another.

BTW - there are now some excellent generators made in China.

Kruse: Thanks for the tip on Winco. I contacted the dealer on Maui. No one has any in stock in the state, but he'll have a price quote for me on Monday.

52165: Both tractors are diesel. The 4610 makes 30 PTO HP; the 2305 has 18 PTO HP.

Anyone know the reputation of Harbor Freight or Northern Tool PTO generators?

I have no background regarding PTO and PTO generators with Harbor Freight, or Northern Tool; however in general Harbor Freight is very low quality China made with very low life expectancy, and very low reliability. And in general Northern Tool is more expensive and has higher quality.

I have a Winco LP gas generator and can tell you they are well built and nothing like a Troy-Built from a big box store.

I was in the process of hooking up a PTO generator at my old house when we moved.

You need to make sure the generator is bolted to a cement pad or something similar so the PTO turns the PTO shaft rather than flips the generator.

Don't forget a transfer switch.

Originally Posted By: Donald

You need to make sure the generator is bolted to a cement pad or something similar so the PTO turns the PTO shaft rather than flips the generator.

Don't forget a transfer switch.

Putting it on a two-wheeled trailer will do. It makes it mobile with is a big benefit.
And yes, as Donald said, make sure you have an electrician install the transfer switch. Otherwise, it's possible that you could electrocute a lineman several miles from your property.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. The plan would be to mount the generator on a trailer or on a cradle which attaches to the tractor's 3-point hitch.

Already have a means to bring power from the generator to the house's inverter. I live off the grid, so no possibility of electrocuting a lineman.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I have no background regarding PTO and PTO generators with Harbor Freight, or Northern Tool; however in general Harbor Freight is very low quality China made with very low life expectancy, and very low reliability. And in general Northern Tool is more expensive and has higher quality.

I beg to differ... Northern tool sells practically identical stuff as Harbor Freight, at a higher cost.

cronk,

I think you are right with respect to the PTO generators sold by Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. Their websites show the same generators, recognizable by their control panels, but at much higher prices at Northern Tool. So the question is: Are they junk or decent quality? If junk, the price is immaterial; I won't be buying. More research. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back