Power steering idea addon John Deere 316

Here’s a new one for you all. I would like to add power steering to my John Deere 316 tractor. The 316 and 330 actually uses a Saginaw manual steering box from say a 1970 Chevelle.

IMG_2784.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

Some conversions entailed swapping frames from the model up, the 318, to gain access to the different steering column to mount the 318s orbital valve, or by cutting and welding a 318 steering column in. Both options I’d like to avoid.

I was thinking, clearance and fitment aside, what about running a power steering gear from again a 70s GM car.

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

Of course I have to do some measuring, but if it would clear everything and fit… I’m thinking the overall length from steering shaft spline to case might be similar to a manual gear with the long splined shaft.

Then it’d just be a matter of plumbing it into the tractor’s hydro which is a Sunstrand Series 15.

Would a tractor hydro have a ton more pressure than a car P/S pump and blow the gear to smithereens?

Assuming those pics are accurate representations, it won't work because the sector shaft is on the wrong side. You need to pick one which has the correct orientation for mounting. Steering in cars/trucks is dependent upon the location of the steering gear relative to the steering arms/drag links.

As for your pressure question, I have no idea, but if the pressure is too high coming out of the hydro drive, you can always add an in-line pressure reducer/regulator ahead of the p/s gear. IMO that's the least of your problems.

Assuming those pics are accurate representations, it won't work because the sector shaft is on the wrong side. You need to pick one which has the correct orientation for mounting. Steering in cars/trucks is dependent upon the location of the steering gear relative to the steering arms/drag links.

As for your pressure question, I have no idea, but if the pressure is too high coming out of the hydro drive, you can always add an in-line pressure reducer/regulator ahead of the p/s gear. IMO that's the least of your problems.
The pictures are just rotated. They are oriented the same way

mytractorforum.com . scroll down to the jd lt/gt section. These guys have done every mod imaginable to their little tractors! Or find a parts 318 and cannabilize it.

+1 on the mytractorforum. Great site that specifically specializes in this sort of thing.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks there that have done a lot of mods to their equipment.

Just my $0.02

Seems complicated for little benefit unless you are the one armed riding mower bandit.

It will be very helpful with a 400-600lb implement on the front and tight quarters. I.e. snow blowing near house, etc.

There’s a poor man’s power steering mod on YouTube for your JD. that costs only $10.
I saw that video. The guy added needle thrust bearings to the bottom of the spindles and it did make steering easier. If you’re going to be adding a heavy implement to the front of the tractor, I don’t think his idea will help much.
I looked into it for my lawn tractor and the spindles didn’t have enough length to add the thrust bearings. On a lawn tractor that size, it would probably be an issue also.
As far as a hydraulic take off from the transmission, my New Holland CUT has a built in outlet for steering and it is also a Sunstrand unit. You would have to look at a service manual to see if it’s available on your tractor. I’m not absolutely sure, but it appears as though it may have a separate pump built in for steering as the steering circuit has it’s own filter.

Back