Primary Arms Has P-Mags For Just $8.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ws6
That said, the TAN PMAG's did develop a reputation for being a bit weaker. Currently, the "SAND" PMAG's are the strongest formula, followed by "BLACK".

When color choice on a P-Mag determines it's strength, that alone should tell you something.

Originally Posted By: billt460
That said, the TAN PMAG's did develop a reputation for being a bit weaker. Currently, the "SAND" PMAG's are the strongest formula, followed by "BLACK".

When color choice on a P-Mag determines it's strength, that alone should tell you something.

That different impurities added to the polymer mix to give various colors have various effect on said mix?

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Doog
Pmags are decent, but I always liked the Lancers better. Gotta remember to keep the dust cover on the Pmags if you store them loaded. But for the price, its a good buy for sure. Lots of bang for the buck at that price.

I store mine is a safe. Do I need a dust cover in there? But I only keep 4 loaded.

As mentioned, the constant pressure of them loaded can deform the feed lips. The dust covers keep junk out, but also prevent them from deforming. The reason I like the Lancers is because the feed lips are reinforced.

While often maligned I have a ton of old Thermold AR mags. They are AWB era mags marked for GOVT or LEO USE ONLY. I use those as my cheap knockaround range mags and they work for me 100%.

I have Lancers, old GI 20rd mags, and a ton of old 30rd Sterling manufactured steel STANAG magazines (with updated spings and magpul followers)for my SHTF situations.

Your statements have not been shown to be accurate over time, regarding PMAG deformation. Further, the Gen 3 Sand PMAG's control rounds better than the Lancers, steel lips, or no. i was quite impressed, myself.

Anyway, the one negative I have found (true for Lancer and PMAG, so probably every mag out there), is that if you run the gun hard, suppressed, the feed lips will get a ton of residue on them and can cause chambering issues in humid weather. This is especially bad with Wolf ammo, for whatever reason, I have found. I noticed when I fire a string of Wolf, and look at the BCG's outside, near the gas ports, it looks wet for a split second, and then it evaporates off. I have no clue what, or why.I do know that I have found Wolf to be slightly corrosive.

Funny cause a chap over on calguns left his Pmags loaded for an extended period of time and the noticed some started to crack along the spine in the back, showing the stress was taking a toll. It did not happen on all of them (black ones), but it did happen on some. Also at one time Magpul used to straight up say ON THEIR WEBSITE the following. So calling my statements not accurate ironically is not accurate.

LOADED STORAGE GUIDELINES
Loaded Storage - Use of the impact cover is not necessary for storage up to 1 year.
Loaded Storage in Web Gear – Remove the impact covers from any loaded PMAGs™ stored in web gear or magazine pouches to prevent snagging upon retrieval.

I would like to see that thread. Magpul's official stance is:

Quote:
We have had PMags loaded without covers for over a year with no discernible feed lip spread.

Funny cause a chap over on calguns left his Pmags loaded for an extended period of time and the noticed some started to crack along the spine in the back, showing the stress was taking a toll. It did not happen on all of them (black ones), but it did happen on some. Also at one time Magpul used to straight up say ON THEIR WEBSITE the following. So calling my statements not accurate ironically is not accurate.

Your statements are accurate. What Mag-Pul say's is meaningless because of course they'll defend it. It's their product. There have been several cases of P-Mags splitting and cracking. Along the spine, as well as various other places. They're plastic. They are also not steel reinforced like Factory Glock mags, or Lancer. This is why I won't even bother with Mag-Pul Glock magazines. They are not reinforced, or worth it. Glock OEM magazines are. I'll save the lousy few bucks elsewhere. Remember, they are cheaper for a reason.

Mag-Pul has not remedied this condition, because it continues to appear on a regular basis. They've screwed with the plastic / Polymer formulation, and that has helped some. But they cannot change the design, or increase wall thickness, because it would cost them a fortune to do so. When these things came on the market, they were sold as the end all, cure all. Every mall ninja at ARFCOM jumped on the P-Mag bandwagon. Since then reality has set in, along with several problems. Eventually leading up to both the Army and Marines banning them. That didn't happen because they were so problem free and wonderful.

As I said, I'm a fan of P-Mags, but I only use them at the range. For that they are fine. If they crack or fail, (and yes, I've had a few that have), there is a 55 gallon trash can nearby. They are good, cheap, mostly reliable range magazines. But I would never store them loaded for reasons that have already been outlined by myself and many others. Here is a good example. There are dozens more examples out there of them cracking and splitting. Yes, Mag-Pul is very good about replacing them. But the problem is they are replacing them with the same thing.

http://www.xcrforum.com/forum/26-endless...sh-reality.html

Arguing about Pmag durability. Feels like 2007 again!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt

Good point. It's amazing these issues have continued for the last 9 years.

I know. Tens of people have had problems. Total junk.

I use my metal ones to keep loaded in my safe. Maybe I'll get more of those from PSA.

That's what I do. In fact now if you look around, you can find various G.I. metal mags in both Aluminum or Stainless Steel, cheaper than even Gen II P-Mags. I only buy the Gen II's, and I won't pay more than $9.00 each for them. I keep a big Tupperware storage bin full of them. When it gets down to about halfway, I'll generally buy more. (I'll strip the Ranger Plates, etc. off them before I toss them). But from now on I'll most likely replace them with steel G.I. magazines. Only because recently I've seen them for as little as $6.49 on sale. Generally with no limit. That's too cheap to pass up. And they'll never split or crack. I will say in defense of P-Mags, that I have never had a .308 caliber P-Mag go south on me. It seems only the .223's are prone to cracking and spliting.

I know. Tens of people have had problems. Total junk.

No one said they are junk....just that they are not without their limitations due to material choice and dimensional constraints. I said they are a good mag especially at the price point, I just like others better if I am going to keep them fully loaded and stored.

No one said they are junk.... just that they are not without their limitations due to material choice and dimensional constraints. I said they are a good mag especially at the price point, I just like others better if I am going to keep them fully loaded and stored.

Exactly. For me P-Mags are starting to lose their allure mostly because of cost, and the splitting issues. Now that metal G.I. magazines are cheaper then even the Gen II P-Mags, there really isn't much of an incentive to keep on purchasing them. I've had a few G.I. metal mags that I've had to toss because of bent feed lips, etc. But the failure rate is much lower than P-Mags with splitting. I'm to the point if I have a P-Mag that starts double feeding, (usually that's the first sign they have developed a split), I'll just toss them. Having been a plastic and die cast moldmaker for over 45 years, I'm convinced Mag-Pul will never be able to completely remedy this. If they could, they would have by now. No one wants these issues to go away more than they do.

Regardless, the fact remains I've replaced far more P-Mags than G.I. models. And as I mentioned, now that various brand G.I. mags are cheaper than the cheapest P-Mags, there really isn't much reason to keep buying them. With that said, if Clinton gets in, Mag-Pul, along with everyone else, will be selling all they can manufacture.

PSA has the metal mags for $8.99

That's not a bad price. I've noticed they have inched upward in the last couple of months.

Your statements are accurate. What Mag-Pul say's is meaningless because of course they'll defend it. It's their product. There have been several cases of P-Mags splitting and cracking. Along the spine, as well as various other places. They're plastic. They are also not steel reinforced like Factory Glock mags, or Lancer. This is why I won't even bother with Mag-Pul Glock magazines. They are not reinforced, or worth it. Glock OEM magazines are. I'll save the lousy few bucks elsewhere. Remember, they are cheaper for a reason.

Mag-Pul has not remedied this condition, because it continues to appear on a regular basis. They've screwed with the plastic / Polymer formulation, and that has helped some. But they cannot change the design, or increase wall thickness, because it would cost them a fortune to do so. When these things came on the market, they were sold as the end all, cure all. Every mall ninja at ARFCOM jumped on the P-Mag bandwagon. Since then reality has set in, along with several problems. Eventually leading up to both the Army and Marines banning them. That didn't happen because they were so problem free and wonderful.

As I said, I'm a fan of P-Mags, but I only use them at the range. For that they are fine. If they crack or fail, (and yes, I've had a few that have), there is a 55 gallon trash can nearby. They are good, cheap, mostly reliable range magazines. But I would never store them loaded for reasons that have already been outlined by myself and many others. Here is a good example. There are dozens more examples out there of them cracking and splitting. Yes, Mag-Pul is very good about replacing them. But the problem is they are replacing them with the same thing.

http://www.xcrforum.com/forum/26-endless...sh-reality.html

1) It's a magazine. Eugine Stoner designed the M16 with the intent that the magazine was disposable. Something that should be kept in mind, regardless of what it is made of.
2) Neither the Army, nor the USMC, has banned the PMAG.
3) Magpul constantly changes the moulding and the process and formula by which they make PMAGs, in an effort (successful) to make them better. MAGPUL has stoopid deep pockets, and yes, they do spend the money. That said, you cannot cram more material into it because then a) It wouldn't fit in the mag well because it got fatter, for lack of a technical term, or b) it would not hold ammunition, because it got fatter internally.
4) They do split and break, yes, but I have found that if I can cram it into the mag-well, it will work, with regard to the spine splitting. Sure, it won't hold rounds in a mag pouch, but I can hold it together, and get it in the mag well, and it runs. Kinda neat, as a metal mag would choke and due if you broke it down the spine. That said, the PMAG is much more durable than the metal USGI mags. Still breakable, sure! But not as easily. Also, plastic splits...you can see it. Metal deforms slightly, and takes a gauge, or a malfunction to clue you in vs. visual inspection.
5) It's a magazine. It costs less than the ammo it holds. Let's not get so attached to them...if they can't get run over by a truck, work for 1,000 loadings, or sustain a 20 foot fall from your roof...replace it!

PSA has the metal mags for $8.99

Are they NHMTG/OKAY, or one of the companies that the military deemed not as good, after internal T&E? because as I recall, most of the mags the military tested of the USGI variety resulted in their company's not getting the contract. That is where Magpul has an advantage. There is only 1 company making PMAG's. With USGI, you have to be picky.

Last edited:

Interestingly, I've never had a PMAG break on me, in thousands of rounds of use. Also of note, the design has changed completely for the new Gen 3's, and the moulding process and material, as well. I find they control rounds far better than Lancer.

Quality USGI mags cost more, as well. I have yet to find OKAY/NHMTG for the same as a Gen 3 PMAG, and I refuse to use any USGI other than those.

The USMC did ban Pmags along with all other polymer mags back in 2012 after voicing concerns over compatibility. The Army did ban them but later reversed them. A simple Google search will show this as well as Magpuls reaction statement to the USMC ban. One of the reasons the Emag came out was to address the compatibility issues Pmags were facing in regards to weapons that function fine with STANAG magazines.

The USMC did ban Pmags along with all other polymer mags back in 2012 after voicing concerns over compatibility. The Army did ban them but later reversed them. A simple Google search will show this as well as Magpuls reaction statement to the USMC ban. One of the reasons the Emag came out was to address the compatibility issues Pmags were facing in regards to weapons that function fine with STANAG magazines.

Hah! So they did, because of IAR compatibility. I thought it was like the ARMY ban where the ARMY said "oh, no, we didn't mean it..."

I have heard so many different opinions on magazines I just keep a 50/50 balance between metal and plastic. But I only keep the metal ones loaded. Some people say rotate your magazines and others say load them and leave loaded. Lot's of conflicting information out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back