Price Of Gas.. Really Dropped Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
And, as for these other countries with their fantastic gas prices, I wouldn't want to visit them, much less live there.

Someone always brings this up and it's irrelevant. The fact that most of these countries that sell their gas to their citizens at low or reasonable prices has nothing to do with it being a 3rd world country, and it wouldn't have that effect here either...in fact lower gas prices would actually be a big boost to our economy...that would leave more money in consumer's pockets to spend on other things...but it all starts with the price of crude...why any market is allowed to sell a barrel of oil for 4 or 5 times what it costs to bring it to market, a product that is absolutely crucial to the very existence of the economies that use it, is beyond me...lets get the price of crude down to a more reasonable level, like say $50, and we're on our way to some much more reasonable gas prices....

Actually, it does have much to do with them being third world countries, not to mention vast government subsidies on the price of gas in those locales, but that's as far as I'll go with that, being political.

Actually, it does have much to do with them being third world countries, not to mention vast government subsidies on the price of gas in those locales, but that's as far as I'll go with that, being political.

I agree to disagree...those countries would be in economic dire no matter what goes on with gas prices, and you can't say our economy hasn't been in worse shape in recent years than it has been since $4 gas came along...

Originally Posted By: grampi
And, as for these other countries with their fantastic gas prices, I wouldn't want to visit them, much less live there.

Someone always brings this up and it's irrelevant. The fact that most of these countries that sell their gas to their citizens at low or reasonable prices has nothing to do with it being a 3rd world country, and it wouldn't have that effect here either...in fact lower gas prices would actually be a big boost to our economy...that would leave more money in consumer's pockets to spend on other things...but it all starts with the price of crude...why any market is allowed to sell a barrel of oil for 4 or 5 times what it costs to bring it to market, a product that is absolutely crucial to the very existence of the economies that use it, is beyond me...lets get the price of crude down to a more reasonable level, like say $50, and we're on our way to some much more reasonable gas prices....

Kinda yes, kinda no...

But for once I agree with grampi....but as he says, in order to keeping growing an economy based on buying stuff, more people should be able to buy instead of someone profiting on it....

Originally Posted By: grampi
..in fact lower gas prices would actually be a big boost to our economy...that would leave more money in consumer's pockets to spend on other things....

This is absolutely true.

There is a great deal of economic evidence to suggest that the Stimulus would have been much more effective if we simply divided it up and paid every taxpayer X dollars directly...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
But for once I agree with grampi....but as he says, in order to keeping growing an economy based on buying stuff, more people should be able to buy instead of someone profiting on it....

Treading lightly here, from my interactions with some of the people who are from some of these countries (by no means a representative sample of the populace therein), they indicate that such prices are often just a bone thrown to the people by the governments. The oil companies don't care whether they get their money from the people at the pumps or the government as subsidies. We freak about ethanol subsidies, yet stare glowingly at countries that subsidize 95% of the cost at the pumps?

Do note that the U.S. (and even Canada) still enjoy very, very good gas prices. The real exceptions in the world are those that are taxed even higher than the Canadian model and those that heavily subsidize the price of gas. Our gas prices are actually very similar to American gas prices, when the layers of taxes are peeled away and the exchange rate is factored in.

Treading lightly here, from my interactions with some of the people who are from some of these countries (by no means a representative sample of the populace therein), they indicate that such prices are often just a bone thrown to the people by the governments. The oil companies don't care whether they get their money from the people at the pumps or the government as subsidies. We freak about ethanol subsidies, yet stare glowingly at countries that subsidize 95% of the cost at the pumps?

Do note that the U.S. (and even Canada) still enjoy very, very good gas prices. The real exceptions in the world are those that are taxed even higher than the Canadian model and those that heavily subsidize the price of gas. Our gas prices are actually very similar to American gas prices, when the layers of taxes are peeled away and the exchange rate is factored in.

While true, It still needs to come down some more. I'm figuring around 2.50 or so would do it......While we'll never get back to those real cheap days, even an extra buck in their pockets will help....

While true, It still needs to come down some more. I'm figuring around 2.50 or so would do it......While we'll never get back to those real cheap days, even an extra buck in their pockets will help....

I swear the oil companies like to play with us. The pundits were all talking how gas in Canada would be expensive this summer. It's been dropping a little almost every day, as if to spite them. As long as they don't try to spite us.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Anything under $3 is good

I never thought I'd be happy to see the 3.89 at Costco today. We were up to about 4.29.
frown.gif

This is in Riverside county in southern Ca.

I swear the oil companies like to play with us. The pundits were all talking how gas in Canada would be expensive this summer. It's been dropping a little almost every day, as if to spite them. As long as they don't try to spite us.
wink.gif

I think they also realize people are serious about cars with good MPGs....gas guzzlers (the money makers) days are numbered for the junkyards. Without raising it sky high, there is not going to be as much profit there. At this point, they may let it drop for a while...fooling people into thinking that a truck could still be a good idea...

The only way I would own a truck/suv now would be if it was not my main car....

Hopefully you are right though!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Anything under $3 is good

I never thought I'd be happy to see the 3.89 at Costco today. We were up to about 4.29.
frown.gif

This is in Riverside county in southern Ca.

7.38 usd gallon here. Ffs i'm really angry now.

Feel free to start an oil company, find the oil, drill for it, refine it, and deliver it to the station and sell it for that price if you think that's what it should be.

Everyone is willing to say what it should be. But none of those saying what it should be are actually offering any gas for sale.

It's easy to say it should be $2.50/gallon. It's harder to actually do the work and provide that $2.50/gallon gasoline that should be on the market.

What do you think why is such a big difference in fuel price between US and EU? Higher taxes, more expensive cost of production or something else? Wife and i spend 350-400 Euro a month for fuel and we don't really go anywhere.

Without getting into politics the reason varies by country. Some countries use gasoline taxes instead of income tax. Others use the tax on gasoline to provide free education for its citizens. Also factor supply and demand. Less demand higher prices is how gasoline prices work.

Yes we do have free education for regular students but still it's really annoying to put 70 Euros worth of petrol in a small compact car. Ah well it is how it is. Thanks anyway for answering.

I understand your frustration. I know how "cheap" gasoline is in the U.S., the first time I saw the prices of Caltex gasoline in Australia in 2000 my jaw dropped.

Then I had the pleasure of visiting Europe in 2010. To say this puts gasoline prices in the U.S. in perspective.

At this point, they may let it drop for a while...fooling people into thinking that a truck could still be a good idea...

The only way I would own a truck/suv now would be if it was not my main car....

Hopefully you are right though!
smile.gif

And they dropped it another cent today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back