Death valley pics

Yes! I'm going to assume we were in one of the higher milage cars in the area. Most people seem to be tourists in newer cars. We are about to turn 210k. The fj runs great and still amazes me. It is beginning to consume a slight amount of 5w-30 though. Looks like about a qt in 6k.
At almost a quarter million miles, a quart every 6k is outstanding! My buddy has ha 310k mi 1GR V6 thats using about the same.

When is this super bloom? I’d love to see that.

Guys who have never been West of the Mississippi have no idea the desolation of parts of "The West". Death Valley being one of them.
Yep. We went somewhat prepared for the worst. We stuck to main roads and went when it was cooler out. It was 74F at stove pipe wells.

There were many other tourists so if we had a problem someone would find us quickly. Don't want to end up like the German family.

Yep. We went somewhat prepared for the worst. We stuck to main roads and went when it was cooler out. It was 74F at stove pipe wells.

There were many other tourists so if we had a problem someone would find us quickly. Don't want to end up like the German family.

Yea-saw that story before. People in Europe have no idea of the desolation or the vast distances of "The West" either. I have talked to a few about this at RV parks.
One guy I met from Germany drove a rental RV from Death Valley to San Diego in one day-because you know it didn't look that bad on a map.....

Roy's in Amboy CA (on the old part of Rt. 66) is my go-to high-price reference point. Bet they're up there at 6 or 7 dollars a gallon. But they do have good ice cream bars in the freezer!

Chris, be sure to eat at the Saloon in Furnace Creek.

Scott

IMG_7785.jpeg

The station in goffs,CA is usually higher than Amboy.
I'm surprised there even IS a station in Goffs!

One of those towns - Fenner or Essex? - saved my bacon when I stopped there and filled the air in one of my tires on my rental PT Cruiser. That would be a bad stretch of road to have a flat tire miles from anything!

I'm surprised there even IS a station in Goffs!

One of those towns - Fenner or Essex? - saved my bacon when I stopped there and filled the air in one of my tires on my rental PT Cruiser. That would be a bad stretch of road to have a flat tire miles from anything!
It's actually fenner but the address is goffs .

i paid $7 a gallon in 2016 just south of the south rim (just north of I-40). there was nothing in as far as the eye could see at that station. That was Saturday evening and had be in Alexandria, la for work on Monday.

Back