Pressure washer recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so cleaning the driveway and sidewalks and the patio area with a brush is just too much work. I have maple trees all around and they stain the concrete very badly. I typically spray it with bleach, wait a little, and then scrub with a brush and then rinse off.

Can I get a decent new pressure washer for up to $400? It doesn't have to be fancy, just functional.

Are the "walk behind" washers worth anything?

How's this one?

link

Any other suggestions?

ive tried to research power washers like you and ive found that they really all look the same except for one thing... the pump. it seems all talk about an "axial-cam" type of pump that seems really light duty... on another forum they talked about "triplex" pumps that seems to be more heavy duty.. do a google search for them, also ask them about warranty work and how the warranty work is done....hopefully this helps...and as for my low post counts i mostly lurk at this site, not trying to steer you away from or to any brands...researching power washers myself also.

Axial pumps are a disposable item. If you want something that will last, and is rebuildable, you need a washer with a plunger pump. Most of them are Cat or General, they are both good.
Get the most GPM rate you can afford, this is more important than PSI, IMO.
The problem with the walk behind is that it's good for the driveway and not much else. Much better to get a regular wand washer with a "roto swirl" attachment. They shoot a pinpoint high pressure spray in a swirl pattern for much better coverage. Only adds about 50 bucks to the cost ( that's what I paid in Canada, you probably pay less )
There's a site called Pressure Washers Direct ( they're in Illinoistan too! ) with lots of good advice. Good luck!

PS Are you close with any of the neighbors? If you share the cost you can get a much better unit. For $800 Home Depot has a Kick-butt unit 3200PSI and I think 3 GPM with Subaru engine with EFI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Seguino
Axial pumps are a disposable item. If you want something that will last, and is rebuildable, you need a washer with a piston pump. Most of them are Cat or General, they are both good.

The one I linked to above has a 3-piston axial cam pump made by AR. So, is that good?

Quote:

The problem with the walk behind is that it's good for the driveway and not much else. Much better to get a regular wand washer with a "roto swirl" attachment. They shoot a pinpoint high pressure spray in a swirl pattern for much better coverage. Only adds about 50 bucks to the cost ( that's what I paid in Canada, you probably pay less )

That Husky one has a spray wand too, so it can be used as a regular washer. So, attachments can be used, such as the one you mentioned.

I use the Karcher G3050OH with the GC190 Honda motor. It is excellent and comes with a high quality, quiet motor as well. I think it is somewhere near your price point.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The one I linked to above has a 3-piston axial cam pump made by AR. So, is that good?

Quote:

It'll still last quite a few years, just not as long as a plunger pump, and when it's done, it's done. No repair.

That Husky one has a spray wand too, so it can be used as a regular washer. So, attachments can be used, such as the one you mentioned.

[/quote]

Aah. My bad :)

As you can tell, I haven't quite figured out how to do the quotes lol

I'd pick something stronger at least 3000 psi to get hard stains out. For home usage it should last for your needs really don't need a commercial type for your application. If any replacement would be the gun itself as after so many hours of usage they tend to leak.

The Honda 2600 psi been in use for 10 years and far more hours than home usage. But the gun leaks and has lost some pressure...having the extra nozzles for different application is an added bonus but mainly use the same nozzle for most application.

I bought a 2600psi Karcher pressure washer with a Honda GVC160 engine on it, and it has been great for me. I bought it new from a guy bought it form Sams Club for a gift for his brother, but his brother just wanted a small compact electric one. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was less than $400 new, (I bought it for $200 with the tags still on it) and it is probably the best household thing I've ever purchased. I use it sometimes just to use it lol

I've used a $300 Craftsman for a year with no issues. Washed the house before painting, cleaned some misc. stuff, etc...

I have a Honda GC powered 2600 psi PowerStroke pressure washer. It's a remanufactured one I bought at a tool outlet store for $229. It works great. It starts on the first pull and does a great job. The pump is a generic Chinese one, but it works fine. No problems yet, and my 23 year old deck and driveway look practically new.

011675204150lg.jpg
Troy-Bilt 2600 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Just bought my first pressure washer yesterday at Lowes. Figured I couldnt go wrong for casual use. Came with the Honda GVC 160, "second story" spray tip. I used it for around a hour today, and was very happy with it! Cost only 329.00 dollars, I had a 25 dollar off coupon that came in the mail, good for any purchase over 250. It will last me forever

Last edited:
I have one powered by a 5 hp, Honda GX160. It delivers 2.5 GPM at 2500 psi which is great for the car and BBQ grill. But the house we are in now has about 1400 square feet of pavement and a thorough cleaning of the driveway takes me about 8 hours. I wish I owed a washer with a bit more power that sprayed a larger pattern to reduce the time it takes to clean. If you have lots of pavement and little time, the 3 GPM washer from HD that Seguino recommended might be a better choice than a smaller one.

Here in mildew ridden South Florida, pressure washers are a way of life.

Honda GX engines are the proper choice.
Cat pumps are the proper choice (blue pump).

With AR and General industrial pumps coming in a distant second.

Homeless Depot once sold a Honda GX 5.5HP with Cat pump for 599. All of those sold are still functioning! They are that good.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Here in mildew ridden South Florida, pressure washers are a way of life.

Honda GX engines are the proper choice.
Cat pumps are the proper choice (blue pump).

With AR and General industrial pumps coming in a distant second.

Homeless Depot once sold a Honda GX 5.5HP with Cat pump for 599. All of those sold are still functioning! They are that good.

Homeless Depot, Haha
48.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the John Deere pressure Washers sold at Lowes are supposed to be good. I believe they have the Honda "GX" motor and good triplex pumps.

It's not the PSI but the GPM's that are the main factor.

Try to get a unit with a triplex pump (Cat or Comet). They are the best style of pump.

Axial-cam pumps are cheap to replace. Usually about $100 when the go bad.

The main thing is proper maintanance. Disconnect the garden hose and the sprayer hose and tilt to drain out all the water when done, and run anti-corrosion / cleaner through it during winter storage. hard water kills pumps.

Rigid makes some good pressure washers at Home Depot. deWalt is overpriced

Skip the walk behind like you mentioned. You can get a walk behind wand attachment later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back