Super Tech 20W50 VS Diesel rated 15W40

Any current VOA of ST 20w50? I would just RETURN IT.

I'd take a spec'd diesel oil over any unknown entity.

I'd take a blend over a conventional, and a synthetic over a blend. So, that would be two votes for the blended 15w40 over the 20w50 conventional.

Since Kohler recommend 10w50 and a synthetic at that, and you're in a warm climate, Walmart has 5 quart jugs of M1 15w50. That would be my 1st discounted choice. My 2nd choice would be any 50 grade full synthetic V-twin motorcycle oil that still cheaper than Kohler 10w50.

If the sump is too big, the engine might last too long. How will I make money if I don't sell enough of them often enough? So... no 1 quart sump for YOU ever with your small engine.
Just look at lawnmowersgeneratorsPSIwashers... and other small engines with their 8, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24 28... ounce make believe sump capacities when a quart would've been just too easy.

I wonder if those race engines would even survive a typical soccer moms year round hyper commuting in the minivan or SUV? with start/stop enabled? So, I don't ever compare my vehicles, or my small engines, with super duper race engine running whatever or however. Yes, its a pressure washer. Nobody cares how it relates to my Toyota, VW, or a race engine, their visc, oil temps/psi, or engine misengineerings.

I will run the pressure washer for about 15 hours total - then change the oil and put it away for next year - next time I will just use SAE HD30. That was my original plan -

When I first ran the 20W50 I thought the engine was not reaching the same RPM - like the throttle was stuck - engine just seemed quieter - but the pressure at the sprayer end was the same - can heavier oil make your small engine run smoother and quieter??

I did not think it could ------------

Could be my imagination - 65 year old working his ass off in 99 degree temps - I honestly did feel dizzy a couple times - drank about 1/2 a gallon of water - but went all afternoon without taking a P - so maybe I was delirious!

It sucks to get old - use to work like this for 12 hours straight and not even think once about stroking or heart attacking out!

10w50 is a thick oil for being recommended year round too. Any mowers with a Kohler engine have a similar recommendation?

Also, I have always thought too thick of oil can cause the engine to run hotter. The 300 hr OCI is quite the stretch too. Perhaps they bank on people not doing that.
You must remember a 10W50 is really a 10W oil with viscosity improvers in it to get the 50 rating. Now there's some difference in syns, but you still have a "improved" oil and really, unless you live where you see some pretty cold days during summer, 50W is fine for most mowers. I suppose you could make the argument for splash lube not being the ideal platform for this oil, but my educated guess is it would not be a problem. Also remember, these engines are way overbuilt, with very low crank loading, at fairly low speed rpms, so you're pretty safe with anything other than water in the crankcase. I grew up working on lawnmower engines, and have never in my life seen a B&S destroyed by oil choice, from 10W to 50W, and no oil changes at all.

After much dithering a while back, I decided to go with straight 30wt diesel oil in my Kawasaki 20hp water cooled tractor. It has almost 900 hrs on it and is going strong. I think you can overthink this thing to death, (I'm not immune, I did it too!), but finally decided that if you use a decent oil, it's far more likely something else with fail than the engine and even if it does, I'm betting it won't be an oil failure. Good ole Chevron 30wt diesel is what's in it right now.

Last edited:
I think you can overthink this thing to death, (I'm not immune, I did it too!), but finally decided that if you use a decent oil, it's far more likely something else with fail than the engine and even if it does, I'm betting it won't be an oil failure.
For sure. At least motor oil is a relatively harmless target for our OCD (or CDO if you're as bad as some of us are around here).

Just my opinion but I would rather have a synthetic in that air cooled motor in this heat. You are comparing a conventional 20w/50 oil vs the recommended 10w/50 syn Kohler oil. I think a proper compromise would be a Mobil 1 or similar FULL SYN in 15w/50 since 50wt was the best choice per Kohler. I have a lawn tractor and a zero turn with Kohler motors that I run full syn 5w/30 with no issues. I just don't think a conventional automobile oil should be used in your air cooled and got running motor.

I use Amsoil 10w 40 full syn small engine oil and the Kohler filter in my Kohler 5400 (T210 riding mower). I figure if Kohler is ok with Amsoil 10w 50 for 300 hours, The Amsoil 10 w 40 (States 200 hour changes) should be just fine. I ran it once on the Kohler 300 oil at about $18 per quart. The Amsoil 10w40 was around $9 per quart. So far so good. The warranty is almost over so next year I'm going to try the Motorcraft 910 filter when I finish the Kohlers since I have a few for my car. I only go one year on a change anyway. (~80 hours) I am in South Carolina so it sees some pretty hot temps. It usually takes me over an hour to mow. Picking up leaves in the fall runs it for ~2.5 hours each time.. I use the bagger to save my back. I have enough Amsoil for 3 years. I'll reconsider after that.

I use Amsoil 10w 40 full syn small engine oil and the Kohler filter in my Kohler 5400 (T210 riding mower). I figure if Kohler is ok with Amsoil 10w 50 for 300 hours, The Amsoil 10 w 40 (States 200 hour changes) should be just fine. I ran it once on the Kohler 300 oil at about $18 per quart. The Amsoil 10w40 was around $9 per quart. So far so good. The warranty is almost over so next year I'm going to try the Motorcraft 910 filter when I finish the Kohlers since I have a few for my car. I only go one year on a change anyway. (~80 hours) I am in South Carolina so it sees some pretty hot temps. It usually takes me over an hour to mow. Picking up leaves in the fall runs it for ~2.5 hours each time.. I use the bagger to save my back. I have enough Amsoil for 3 years. I'll reconsider after that.
My Kohler 5400 has $1/quart PP 0W40 …
I do the driveway with pool bleach - gave the HP washer away

Back