PQIA Results are in for Major Brand SN/GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If I had to pick a favorite of the bunch it would be the Mobil Special due to it's 169 VI still with a very good Noack of 13.6%.

A very close second would be Petro-Canada with it's excellent 164 VI and lower Noack plus it's class leading (by far) viscosity at -30C of only 4587cP; no other oil is even close.
Petro-Canada is a major producer of low PP GP III base oils and I suspect they have included some in the formulation to acheive the synthetic level of cold temp' performance.

+1 The Petro Can. Stuck out to me. Much better than most.

All in all, I am not impressed with API SN higher NOACK avg. I will have to do more searching but I am not going to be rushing out to buy any of these oils. Unless I drive to Canada.

You are the man Tom from NJ! Tell Tom Glenn I enjoy his articles in Lubes 'n' Greases. It is good to have someone on the peoples' side.

Last edited:
IMO, the top 3 are Mobil Special, Petro-Canada and PYB. The rest are good too, this reenforces the buying brand names oil is safer than buying no-name.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
I note in the PQIA database they test only 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades.

Any plans to test other grades?

In time. Right now the focus is on the most popular grades.

Tom NJ

Well, once I run the QSUD for my next OCI, looks like I am back to PYB or QSAD. Unless an awesome sale appears of course.

Hey Tom,

Or any other tribologists on the board, what's up with Car Quest Conventional Oil that was tested back in January, 2011.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/carquest2011.htm

From my understanding, this is a Ashland product and I presumed it was "high quality" store brand oil.

However, when I look below the Elemental Analysis-c of this Car Quest oil, I notice that there is a contaminant of "Antimony" at 7 PPM in the findings where the norm is less than 1 PPM.

Could someone shed some light on what is the composition of Antimony as a contaminant in Car Quest oil and if this significant to question the quality controls at Ashland for Car Quest Dino Oil?

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
What exactly does the Sulfer do and is more or less better? Please explain

Sulfur is a component in the ZDDP anti-wear additive and in the detergent additives. You can't judge oil quality based on just the sulfur content as different detergents have different sulfur contents.

Tom NJ

Ha! That might explain the sweeter smell of Valvoline compared to QSAD.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
IMO, the top 3 are Mobil Special, Petro-Canada and PYB. The rest are good too, this reenforces the buying brand names oil is safer than buying no-name.

What was it you didnt like about Kendall GT-1?

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
What exactly does the Sulfer do and is more or less better? Please explain

Sulfur is a component in the ZDDP anti-wear additive and in the detergent additives. You can't judge oil quality based on just the sulfur content as different detergents have different sulfur contents.

Tom NJ

How does PQIA's sulfur rating differ from sulfated ash that is listed on many oil PDS'?

Valvoline's addpack is similar to Castrol.
I like Valvoline, but not Castrol.
Why is that? Mostly because of Castrol's crazy marketing and uninformative PDS's. But it's good oil.

Surprise oils for me:
PetroCanada (too bad it's not seen in the States)
PYB
Mobil Special

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Well then thank Tom Glenn for driving all the way to Brockville, Ontario on the labour day week-end to pick-up a bottle of the PC Supreme 5W-30! Or did he?

That PC oil looks darn fine. In any case, I'm not disappointed in my stash of SN/GF-5 PYB.

Now, we need to see where oil Mobil Super 1000 conventional lies in comparison to the American Mobil Super and Mobil Special. I can get the Mobil Super 1000 at a decent price, too.

Thanks for the post, Tom!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Hey Tom,

Or any other tribologists on the board, what's up with Car Quest Conventional Oil that was tested back in January, 2011.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/carquest2011.htm

From my understanding, this is a Ashland product and I presumed it was "high quality" store brand oil.

However, when I look below the Elemental Analysis-c of this Car Quest oil, I notice that there is a contaminant of "Antimony" at 7 PPM in the findings where the norm is less than 1 PPM.

Could someone shed some light on what is the composition of Antimony as a contaminant in Car Quest oil and if this significant to question the quality controls at Ashland for Car Quest Dino Oil?

Well since antimony is a softish metal like lead or tin then I think it's extremely unlikely that at 7ppm it would have any detrimental effect on the oils performance. It's probably a minor contaminant from something that the oil was stored or transported in.

That's only an educated guess. I could stand to be corrected be anyone who know more about the effects of antimony.

Nice job. PC looks great for the best winter 5w30. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
How does PQIA's sulfur rating differ from sulfated ash that is listed on many oil PDS'?

The sulfur content reported by PQIA is a measure of the total elemental sulfur present in the oil from all sources. Sulfur comes mostly from additives, but is also present on Group I base oils. Sulfur has an adverse effect on emmission system catalysts, especially in diesels, and the industry sets a maximum limit on total sulfur content.

Sulfated ash is a measure of total metals present in the oil from the additives. The oil is ashed by burning in a crucible, and then the ash is reacted with sulfuric acid, which converts the metals to stable sulfates or oxides. This is then ashed again in a muffle furnace and the resulting ash weighed and reported as percent sulfated ash.

Tom NJ

Generally in these tests anything less than 5-10 ppm is considered a trace elements - as UART said a minor contaminant from something that the oil may have been stored or transported in - even as it comes down the pipe at the blending facility it is possible some trace metals can be found in one bottle, and not in another.

Perhaps Tom could speak more to this or what the effects of antimony may be. This is the first time I have seen anything higher than 2ppm come back on an elemental analysis.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Perhaps Tom could speak more to this or what the effects of antimony may be. This is the first time I have seen anything higher than 2ppm come back on an elemental analysis.

I have no idea where the trace quantity of antimony came from, or even if it is real (single test result). Personally it would not concern me.

Disclaimer: While I sit on the Advisory Board for PQIA, I am not an employee, am not compensated, and post here on BITOG as an individual. The opinions I express here are not necessarily those of PQIA.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back