power steering fluid vs ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"Since I drive in dusty conditions, my biggest problem is that none have filters on their breather holes"

Have you seen the little KN's that are available?

We used these on Race Bikes for V/C breathers after removing the carb airbox.
Some of the 4- wheel drive guys use them on their differentials as well. Not water proof but attached to a hose and mounted up high is effective

Just called a few Toyota dealerships and was told to use power steering fluid. I asked why the manual says to use ATF and they said it can be used if you have no PSF to top off, but to use PSF if totally refilling. They also mentioned that they come with PSF from factory, so I am happy this has been cleared up for me.
smile.gif

Has anyone tried Royal Purple PSF?
Sprintman,
How has the Redline worked for you? (Which is it now--ATF or PSF you are using?)

Just got off the phone with Toyota's national info. # and they said use ATF according to manual!!!!!
mad.gif
banghead.gif
mad.gif
banghead.gif
confused.gif

Someone is supposed to call me back within 3 days. Thank God I don't have a major problem!!!
(Going to find some wood to knock on
grin.gif
)

My late mom's Corisca when the temp would get near zero would have a delayed engagement going into gear. The power steering would be whining against the pressure relief by just trying to turn the wheel.

I had both swapped out with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF without even think about whether the PS needed a special fluid. In fact ...I've been out of the trade for soooooooo long that I never knew that the market/industry had gone to dedicated PS fluid for the most part.

btw- both the trans and the PS thanked me for the change over with superb performance during cold weather.

I've used PS fluid in cars requiring ATF, and ATF in cars requiring PS fluid with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.

I currently have 2 Nissans that run PS fluid(with stopleak) because of pump seal leaks. These PS pumps have 150k miles(and started to leak) using ATF and now 50k miles with PS fluid and not leaking. On newer cars, I use Amsoil/Redline/Mobil1 ATF.

I believe that regular PS changes is just as important as the fluid chosen(read owners manual). Siphon/refill at every oil change prevents problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
Just got off the phone with Toyota's national info. # and they said use ATF according to manual!!!!!)

Ha, welcome to the wonderful world of Toyota. Over the 10 years of owning my Camry I have multiple cases of where the dealer and Toyota corporate disagree on maintenance. Even sat in on one conference call on a disagreement over my car, dealer, Toyota central and my service manual (the two book set) seemed to be at odds.

My current question (still waiting for an answer from Central) regards the Toyota Red Long Life Coolant. No one seems capable of informing me whether it is compatible with the old green stuff or the newer Dexcool orange stuff. Dealer says it is compatible with nothing else and I just do not believe them. Same dealer that was placing Pennzoil 15W40 in all Toyotas in the 90s when the manual called for 10W30. They did not even carry a 10W in stock. Just got the best deal on the weight of the day from Pennzoil rep!

Original coolant was the green stuff so now they insist on only Toyota Red. Gotta love them.

[ May 20, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

For the record, PSF can cause an engine fire, I know, I had an engine fire when the PSF leaked on the (very hot) manifold and BOOM - luckily, and almost beyond belief, just a week or two before, I purchased a car fire extinguisher and placed it in the trunk.

When I saw the big puff of smoke I very quickly got the extinguisher out of the trunk and put out the fire - not much fire damage actually. I had recently filled the system with normal PSF (not synthetic) so I know it wasn't ATF.

I simply use what the manual states, my 96 bonneville requires PSF (I use redline PSF), my 2002 toyota tundra specifies dexron II/III (I use Amsoil ATF).

The best I can tell, toyta coolant is "green" coolant with red dye instead of green dye. It's service intervals are the same, ie, nowhere near the "100K or 5-year" interval of the orange stuff (not that I believe that interval).

[ May 23, 2003, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: mikeinaustin ]

Sorry to not reply right back, didn't see post.

Yes Toyota replied and said that the fluid is "ATF, as it says in the manual". But as an above reply states, what Toyota says here in US and what happens overseas in the factories can be two different things.

You've got to ask yourself a basic question about Toyota's logic here...WHY ON EARTH WOULD A COMPANY OF TOYOTA'S CALIBER "CREATE" AN ATF THAT IS NOT INDUSTRY STANDARD RED, LOOKS LIKE PSF (clear, light amber), AND USE IT IN A POWER STEERING PUMP AND...AND...USE REGULAR RED ATF IN AUTO TRANNYS?!?
I wish someone would analyse the "PSF/ATF" out of their new Toyota and compare it with regular ATF.

As for the coolant, I've read on a Toyota forum where red was added to either orange or green (can't remember) or vise versa and the mixture clogged up the radiator.

[ May 24, 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: Toy4x4 ]

Called Redline up and asked what to use in my 02 Silverado. Since the manual called for PSF not ATF. The indiviual at Redline said to use their PSF that it was made for that. So I went and changed it out and so far no problems at all. That has been about 4k since the change. I mainly did it because this truck is going to be with me a long time and I feel a synthetic fluid is a better way to go IMO. I will say this much, it isn't cheap by no means.
shocked.gif

Oh and their bottles when empty make great funnels.
grin.gif

[ May 27, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Rat407 ]

FYI, ahwile back I flushed my power steering fluid with MaxLife Power Steering fluid. The next day, I noticed in my car manual that Ford specifies Dexron III/Mercon in the power steering pump. I emailed MaxLife and they recommended I remove their power steering fluid and replace it with Dexron III/Mercon. I did, and used the MaxLife brand.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
Sorry to not reply right back, didn't see post.

Yes Toyota replied and said that the fluid is "ATF, as it says in the manual". But as an above reply states, what Toyota says here in US and what happens overseas in the factories can be two different things.

You've got to ask yourself a basic question about Toyota's logic here...WHY ON EARTH WOULD A COMPANY OF TOYOTA'S CALIBER "CREATE" AN ATF THAT IS NOT INDUSTRY STANDARD RED, LOOKS LIKE PSF (clear, light amber), AND USE IT IN A POWER STEERING PUMP AND...AND...USE REGULAR RED ATF IN AUTO TRANNYS?!?
I wish someone would analyse the "PSF/ATF" out of their new Toyota and compare it with regular ATF.

I am currently faced with the same dilema (what to use in my 2002 Avalon's PS system. Is ATF appropriate for just top-off, or both top-off and total replacement?).

And as it happens, I have a UOA of the used 'Amber' Factory fill, one from my Factory fill transmision (presumably with Dexron III), and one from after a transmission flush with Dexron III.

As far as I can tell, the additive package of whatever they put in PS reservoir is very different from the Dexron's.

code:

Factory Trans. New

'PS Fluid' Fill Dexron III

--------- --------------- ----------

Boron 2 23 57

Calcium 1,398 35 270

Magnesium 11 85 10

Phosph 727 213 229

Zinc 1,247 192 59

Barium 3 11 1

Copper 207 (May be additive, may be wear)

FlashPoint 385 F 385 F

It does seem really dumb to call for ATF in the Power Steering, but then apparently put something else in at the factory...

Since the Factory fluid seems to have way more of some type of additives, it makes me wonder if ATF replacement is going to do the job.

-Greg Bohn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back