Post your latest oil change

2023 F150 5.0 - Mobile 1 0w-40. I replaced the factory fill at 500 miles with an STP extended life oil filter. 1200 miles on the truck. I also run Liqui Moly Ceratec. It really helps quiet down the Coyote valve train.

IMG_4031.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

Truck Guy
Welcome to BITOG.

You say your Ford had it's first oil change.
How do you know the Ceratec quieted the tick and not the Mobil-1 0w40?
Did you run the vehicle with the Mobil-1 only for a short time? Did you add the Ceratec afterwards?

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I added the Ceratec about 500 miles after the switch to 0w-40. Right around 1k miles. The Coyote 5.0 is a noisy engine and according to Ford this is normal. I have used CeraTec in other vehicles in the past with success. It’s also rather popular in the Mustang community. CeraTec contains both a solid and liquid modifier. According to the company, the solid modifier is heat activated and takes upwards of 200 miles to bind to the metal. This is ceramic based, I believe. I have found this to be consistent with my experience using the product. I do notice a smother idle and cold starts with less initial noise. Particularly in cold weather during those first few second before oil is flowing. The difference is not profound, but enough that I believe the product works as advertised. I do not believe the product is some miracle cure, but in my opinion not snake oil. I plan on switching to 5w-40 once the weather warms up a bit more. I have read that 0w-40 is on the thinner side for a 40 weight.

Last edited:
2024 Hyundai Elantra SE 2.0 NA
5K oci (3903 miles actual)/Odometer 4982 miles
as I dropped the factory fill at 1K (1079 miles)/OCI actual 3903

Out: 4.5 Quarts Quaker State Ultimate Protection 0W-20 and
Hyundai 26350-2J000 OEM filter

In: 4.5 Quarts Quaker State Ultimate Protection 0W-20 and
Purolator PL11760 PureOne filter
View attachment 209594
As a Hyundai owner and an auto tech I would recommend going no more than 4k on your oci. Enjoy your Hyundai. I love ours. 189,000 on a theta 2

As a Hyundai owner and an auto tech I would recommend going no more than 4k on your oci. Enjoy your Hyundai. I love ours. 189,000 on a theta 2
Guessing you bought your Hyundai new.
Don't mind me asking...... what year and what engine?
What's the oil brand and viscosity you used most?
I've never exceeded 3k OCIs with these troubling engines of 2012-2020.

It is my commuter car and does a 85 mile round trip commute 5 days a week all rural highway with no more than 1-2 stop lights and one stop sign. Almost no short trips at all. It is the Nu engine with MPI, so no direct injection. What do you think? 4K? or 5k?

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I added the Ceratec about 500 miles after the switch to 0w-40. Right around 1k miles. The Coyote 5.0 is a noisy engine and according to Ford this is normal. I have used CeraTec in other vehicles in the past with success. It’s also rather popular in the Mustang community. CeraTec contains both a solid and liquid modifier. According to the company, the solid modifier is heat activated and takes upwards of 200 miles to bind to the metal. This is ceramic based, I believe. I have found this to be consistent with my experience using the product. I do notice a smother idle and cold starts with less initial noise. Particularly in cold weather during those first few second before oil is flowing. The difference is not profound, but enough that I believe the product works as advertised. I do not believe the product is some miracle cure, but in my opinion not snake oil. I plan on switching to 5w-40 once the weather warms up a bit more. I have read that 0w-40 is on the thinner side for a 40 weight.
Truck Guy
Welcome to BITOG.

You say your Ford had it's first oil change.
How do you know the Ceratec quieted the tick and not the Mobil-1 0w40?
Did you run the vehicle with the Mobil-1 only for a short time? Did you add the Ceratec afterwards?

Not a great video and it will expire in a few days, but I don’t think the Coyote gets much quieter than this, lol. It’s fun engine for sure. It seems to right side wheel well is the best place to listen for infamous tick and at times misinterpreted knocking sound these motors are famous for.

Guessing you bought your Hyundai new.
Don't mind me asking...... what year and what engine?
What's the oil brand and viscosity you used most?
I've never exceeded 3k OCIs with these troubling engines of 2012-2020.
No problem. 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 liter. Used quaker state for the first 144,000. Switched to Mobil 1 after that. Always have used 5w-20.

It is my commuter car and does a 85 mile round trip commute 5 days a week all rural highway with no more than 1-2 stop lights and one stop sign. Almost no short trips at all. It is the Nu engine with MPI, so no direct injection. What do you think? 4K? or 5k?
I would do 4k oci. Simply because Hyundai has had engine issues for awhile now.

There is gonna come a day , whoops its already here, no more 454s or 390s , nope, we all be bragging at the water coolers over 2.0 liter engines,,,,some body take us back to 1964 for tri power Pontiac that had a real engine....I think yesterdays gone,,,now where is that 426 ,I just had it yesterday..................................
It will never happen if you have the money.And don’t forget Fords 7.3 430/485
IMG_2568.jpg
Godzilla,saw one in a pickup today

No problem. 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 liter. Used quaker state for the first 144,000. Switched to Mobil 1 after that. Always have used 5w-20.
Hyunkia's Theta II engine issues / complaints started in mid-2012 when the 2013s arrived. You picked the right time and right year to get yours.

Your Santa Fe Theta II ranks in the CM 2007-2012 Group
My Santa Fe Theta II ranks in the DM 2013-2019 Group.

Design changes and introduction of poor GDI/TGDI engineering - plus introduction of soft metallurgy parts inside the engine are to blame for the one I drive. Engine damages are more common / happen sooner with the Turbo engines. Most-all of the 2.4 turbos between 2013-2019 have Extended Warranties. Mine doesn't but the 2019 Santa Fe Sport wears a turbo and the warranty has been extended.

Wow.... just realized this Hyunkia engine topic doesn't fit this Thread Title. I'm going to bow-out of the Hyunkia interruption here.
Sorry Moderators.

Last edited:
Hyunkia's Theta II engine issues / complaints started in mid-2012 when the 2013s arrived. You picked the right time and right year to get yours.

Your Santa Fe Theta II ranks in the CM 2007-2012 Group
My Santa Fe Theta II ranks in the DM 2013-2019 Group.

Design changes and introduction of poor GDI/TGDI engineering - plus introduction of soft metallurgy parts inside the engine are to blame for the one I drive. Engine damages are more common / happen sooner with the Turbo engines. Most-all of the 2.4 turbos between 2013-2019 have Extended Warranties. Mine doesn't but the 2019 Santa Fe Sport wears a turbo and the warranty has been extended.

Wow.... just realized this Hyunkia engine topic doesn't fit this Thread Title. I'm going to bow-out of the Hyunkia interruption here.
Sorry Moderators.
Thanks for the info on the theta. Jason

Back