GM 5.3 AC Delco or NAPA

I have a 2003 Chevy Express 1500 AWD conversion van with 170k on the clock. The oil reminder seems to go off at 7,500 miles. Should I run the AC Delco filter with plastic media support. Or should I just grab a NAPA pro filter. If it matters I am running 6 qts. Supertech full syn. high mile oil.

20240422_132256.jpg

I have used the NAPA (Afinity)7045 filter on my 08’ 4.8 but Im not sure if the 03’ has a different size and thread on the filter mount. The 7045 sticks down a little farther and makes it easier to install and remove. My 08’ has a 22MX1.5 thread.

I'm going to second the Premium Guard filters. Tough to beat. Like @BrendanC said, it'd be the Carquest Premium @ Advance Auto, the Microgard Select MSL51522 at O'Rielly and I believe some NAPA Golds are now PG made -- depends upon your region. Yes, look for the silicone gaskets, cellophane cover on the filter baseplate and the "Leak Tested" text on the top of the can.

My two daily drivers are Gen III 5.3 and 6.0... I used to have a stockpile of WIX 51522 and ACDelco PF61E filters on hand. I started looking a lot closer at the Delcos and when looking thru the nylon center tube, I could see very wide pleat spacing on one side and your usual, expected, "tight" pleat spacing on the other. That alone kinda turned me off. Perhaps I'm asking for a lot, but I don't like the thought of some super wide pleats in areas.

I have since liquidated all of my PF61 and am switching to buying smaller quantities of either CQ Premium or Microgard Selects, both PG filters. The proof is in the pudding with them.

Back