Post your latest oil change

Originally Posted By: crinkles
how about people post photos of their oil, filter, and engine?

Couple of years ago
55.gif

integraoilchange.jpg

I used to have a picture of me pouring the oil into my engine but I can't seem to find it.

2007 Camry @ 65k miles: Fram filter + 4 qt PP + 0.5 qt PYB
1997 Integra @ 225k miles: OEM Honda filter + 4 qt PP
2000 Taurus @ 70k miles: Motorcraft filter + 4 qt SynPower
1995 Corolla @ 185k miles: Purolator filter + 3 qt SynPower
2008 IS250 @ 20k miles: OEM Toyota filter + 6 qt Valvoline Dino + 0.5 qt Maxlife

Last edited:
1997 Isuzu Rodeo
SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30
STP S2808 Filter
Peak coolant (green stuff, forget the exact brand)
Fram air filter

My friend Jessica and I changed the oil on her sister's Rodeo. Jessica did everything except the actual draining of the oil (the oil pan was way under there, and she got claustrophobic even with the car up on jackstands). She did the filter change, added the fresh oil, added coolant, and replaced the air filter.

Her sister really neglects the car, and it had run unknown miles on unknown oil. The oil was black, nasty, and when we dropped it off at AutoZone for recycling it there were various little bits that stuck to the inside of the translucent container. The sticker from wherever she last changed her oil fell off and was lost a while back. The front tires are essentially bald, and had been run at low pressure for quite some time, and so are in dire need of replacement (she'll do that within the next week or two). Rear tires are fine.

I was originally going to get Mobil 1 High Mileage and a PureOne filter to help clean out any gunk (looking through the fill port, the interior of the engine was covered with a dark film, but there was no visible goopy sludge) and afford her a bit of added protection if she neglects to change the oil at the prescribed interval. However, her budget was tight, so we settled on the SuperTech Synthetic and an STP filter (I still wanted to get a PureOne, but the only shop in town that has it is a PepBoys, and they had closed for the evening shortly before. When we were there, we were closer to the AutoZone than the Wal-Mart, else we would have gotten a SuperTech filter over the STP.) While at AutoZone, we picked up a Fram air filter and replaced the no-brand one that was in there already. Jessica already had some coolant from when we worked on her Jeep last time, so we used that to top-up the reservoir on the Rodeo.

Hopefully the SuperTech Synthetic can help clean up the engine, as well as be a bit more forgiving in the future if she fails to change it on time. I told her to get everything the oil and filter changed with a 5,000 mile OCI (a bit low for synthetic), as that should ensure the cleaning action of the oil has time to run its course, as well as getting a bit more particles into the filter increasing it's filtering efficiency.

Jessica, however, knows her stuff, and will remind her sister to get the oil changed (or offer to do it herself, with or without my help) at the appropriate interval.

Last edited:
2009 Honda Fit Base, 30k
Valvoline SynPower 5w-20
NAPA Gold 1356 Oil Filter

OLM usually drops to 15% after 10k miles. This was the first oil change with synthetic; all prior changes were with Pennzoil 5w-20 and a Jiffy Lube filter.

Changed today from M1 5-30EP to M1 5-20EP.
Oil run was 10,500 miles, and oil looked great with the oil drop test.
Filter was M1-102.
2007 Focus
This is the first time I have used the 5-20 in the Focus so see if I can tell any differance.

In the last three weeks...

'97 Mustang PYB 5w-30 MC FL-400

'07 Escape PYB 5w-30 MC FL-910

'05 Silverado PYB 5w-30 PF-46

Last edited:
1993 Mercedes Benz Diesel 300D, 147k miles, 8 quart sump

4 quarts Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck -plus-
4 quarts mobile Delvac 1300 Super 15W40

Mahle Cartridge Filter

Last month:
1993 Mercedes Benz Turbo Diesel 300D, 147k miles, 8 quart sump
Mahle Cartridge Filter

Last August:
2002 Ford Explorer, 4.0L V6, 127k miles, 5 quart sump
M1 10W30 High Mileage
Purolator PureOne

(I have M1 0W40 and a M1 filter ready for the Explorer, but only have 3000 miles on this change. May wait until summer to put the 0W40 in...if I can wait).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
1993 Mercedes Benz Diesel 300D, 147k miles, 8 quart sump

Mahle Cartridge Filter

Why the mix of 5w40 and 15w40?

Today I changed the oil in my 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

Approx 4,063 miles on this fill of Mobil 1 10w-30 with OEM Mopar filter.

Refilled with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10w-30 and Hastings LF115 filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Why the mix of 5w40 and 15w40?

Cost reduction. Doesn't get that cold in NC so a 10W40 works fine for me.

2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4L w/70K...

Have been running M1 5w-20 (0w30 in summer) using Honda's maintenance minder system. That results in about 10k OCI's. PureOne oil filter changed every OCI.

2003 ford f-150 , 5.4, 38k.... 6.5 qts. motorcraft 5w20-fl820s filter....next oci. (may) motorcraft 5w30

Back