Post Your Latest (Motorcycle) Oil Change!

1. 1986 Yamaha Radian 600, 2.6 qts Traveller 15W-40.
2. 2016 Suzuki TU250X, 1.6 qts Smitty’s Super S 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil.

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3548.jpeg
    IMG_3548.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 19
I changed oil and the filter on my 2021 KLX300 using a HiFloFiltro HF112 filter and Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic oil. This change was after 2500 miles of riding.

2014 Harley Road King, 31,292 miles.
Out = Mystic JT8 15w50, HD Filter
In =
Fram Extra Guard Filter, Mobil 1 15w50

(Yes, for fun I really switched things up this time🙃
Most times HD filter and almost every time15w50 Mystik JT8) Got bored using the same oil for 8 years. Bike has not needed a mechanical repair since new in 2014

Last edited:
2014 Harley Road King, 31,292 miles.
Out = Mystic JT8 15w50, HD Filter
In =
Fram Extra Guard Filter, Mobil 1 15w50

(Yes, for fun I really switched things up this time🙃
Most times HD filter and almost every time15w50 Mystik JT8) Got bored using the same oil for 8 years. Bike has not needed a mechanical repair since new in 2014

Are you using the FRAM PH6022 filter?

2022 Royal Interceptor 650.
Out: Silkolene 10W-50 Syn & Mahle OC1600 Filter.
In: Supertech motorcycle 3.25 Qts 20W-50 Syn & Mobil 1 M104A filter. ( seems to shift very smooth with this oil)

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpeg
    IMG_3755.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 13
Are you using the FRAM PH6022 filter?
Yes, for the first time ever, Fram PH6022. Typically I always used the HD filter, then as time went on (we are talking A LOT of years passed by) I was getting tired of the price increases even though it's a great filter.

I then used (two times) Hi-Flo filters, always good quality but something bothered me about it, not sure if my feelings were correct or not but first start up I would get a valve tick just a few seconds if that long almost like after you change your oil but not as much. Anyway, all I knew it never happened with the HD.

In-between any of these stories I always went back to HD.
From there I tried and used the WIX once because the price was better than the HD and a high quality filter.
WIX makes the same micron claim as HD if I remember correctly, seems like it is directly marketed towards Harley. As with the twin cam it is rumored you need a good lower micron filter, as even HD specs their specific filter for it.
So I liked that filter and ordered another, it came in dented pretty good on the top of the filter, I only realized it many months later until I took it out of the box so out the money.
Put an HD back on, all good. This past summer (one year later) I ordered another WIX from Amazon, SAME DEAL!! *LOL* It came in with a dent on the side this time. This one not as bad, but maybe enough that the filter material stopped it from denting any further. Called Amazon, they said to keep it and throw it away, gave me refund.

Desperate I was so against paying so much for the HD filter and the fact that any retailer makes buying the Fram so easy, I figured what the heck, even though I am sure its not as good a filter I am sure good enough. It will still catch smaller particles but I am sure cant be as good as the others. Anyway, changed the oil and put on the Fram, all I know is the bike started right up (temps were only around 75) but I had not even one tick. So, Im good with it, whether or not I use it again depends on how much price spread. But it might (or might not) be my go to filter, we will see. I like it.

With all the above said the one pain in the a** is the Harley Oil Filter wrench only fits Harley filters and I have the engine sensor in the way which their oil filter wrench is designed to get past. I always managed but I think the WIX was the toughest of the bunch to get on and off. The Fram I managed a bit easy getting it on. Hopefully same goes when I go to get it off.

BTW- I use an upgraded "GOLD PLUG" magnetic oil filter plug, the stock magnetic Harley was much weaker. I like Gold Plugs.

Some years ago I became so against Fram filters for everything but changed my tune on them or really any filter for my car, truck as price wins. Most times Super Tech. But the boat and bike always got something that might be better. Now, call me crazy but whatever, Im starting to want to pay Extra Guard prices and Super Tech prices for the boat and bike. Though the boat I still use OEM, last Boat I did use Supertech and Fram and OEM depending on my mood.

I’m using a FRAM Ultra XG3614 on my ‘89 dresser and a FRAM Titanium FS3614 on my 2018 Tri Glide. If you look at all of the dimensions and relief valve settings, the 2 I listed are almost exactly the same as the PH6022, but they filter better than the Extra Guard.

I’m using a FRAM Ultra XG3614 on my ‘89 dresser and a FRAM Titanium FS3614 on my 2018 Tri Glide. If you look at all of the dimensions and relief valve settings, the 2 I listed are almost exactly the same as the PH6022, but they filter better than the Extra Guard.
Excellent post so the 6022 crossmatches with the 3614's?
(im good to next year and can look it up) Im impressed that you thought to check the relief valve PSI, nice.

2011 Honda Shadow Phantom
ODO: 22,002
Consumed: 0 qt
Top up: 0 qt

Miles on oil: unknown
Estimated hours on OCI: unknown
Out: ~2.6 quarts, uknown blend
In: 3 quarts blend (5qts Mobil 1 15w-50 + 2.4qt Bel-Ray EXS 10w-40 + 1.6qt HPL SAE30)

Off: K&N 204-1
Estimated hours on filter: unknown
Miles on filter: unknown
On: XG7317

Oil came out very dark. Probably the most difficult bike I've changed oil on--very low to the ground.

Also did a coolant swap:
Out: unknown, likely Honda OEM fluid
In: Prestone Platinum 50/50

Also did a rear diff fluid swap:
Out: unknown, likely OEM fluid (very dark in color)
In: Supertech Marine lower unit gear lube 80w-90

Expecting to replace the front fork seals this weekend (weeping), swapping the fork fluid with Supertech High Mileage ATF (Dex III/Merc V)

I'll need to change tires after this season, as the ones on it are dated 2015 on the front and 2018 on the rear. Mostly concerned about the front since it is showing mild cracking.
2011 Honda Shadow Phantom

Had read that the Shadow 750's are known for weak clutch springs. Sure enough, I noticed clutch would slip in 5th gear at WOT w/ high speed, so I upgraded them to a Barnett clutch spring set (PN: 501-75-04005). Clutch feels like a normal clutch now, with engagement at ~40% of lever throw. Beforehand, the engagement was late, at ~70% of throw, and didn't even feel powerful when completely released... Dropped the old oil out for fresh since the weather was nice to work outside on the bike.

ODO: 24,202
Consumed: 0 qt
Top up: 0 qt

Miles on oil: 24,202 - 22,002 = 2,200
Estimated hours on OCI: 2,200 / 35 = 63
Out: 2.5 quarts blend (5qts Mobil 1 15w-50 + 2.4qt Bel-Ray EXS 10w-40 + 1.6qt HPL SAE30)
In: 2.5 quarts blend (10/3qt Mobil 1 15w-50 + 5/3qt Bel-Ray EXS 10w-40 + 1qt HPL SAE30 + 2qt QS 5w-40)

Off: N/A round 2 XG7317
Estimated hours on filter: 63
Miles on filter: 2,200
On: N/A

Oil came out somewhat dark. Put the bike on blocks like suggested (good idea, thanks Jay!)
No varnish on anything revealed under the right crankcase/clutch cover. I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures now 🫤

Oct/Nov last year:
Was prepared to replace the fork seals, and realized that they were doing well. PO had replaced one (and only one??) fork with ATF and overfilled it--had blown some of the excess out the seal after hitting something, which is why the one fork was covered in oil. Replaced both fork oils with Basic Dex III ATF. No weeping or bleeding.

2022 Road Glide 114” 9800 miles
Out: Castrol Power1 20w50
Replaced with the same stuff. Also changed the primary oil and trans to Redline.
Filter is a Hiflo HF138.

That Castrol Power1 should serve you well. If you haven’t seen it, here’s a UOA from November of last year that looks really good.

I’m curious why you’re using an HF138 filter. Isn’t an HF171B the correct filter for your bike?

Last edited:
That Castrol Power1 should serve you well. If you haven’t seen it, here’s a UOA from November of last year that looks really good.

I’m curious why you’re using an HF138 filter. Isn’t an HF171B the correct filter for your bike?

You are correct. The 171 fits my H-D. 138 is for my son’s Suzuki C50.

Also, I’ve decided I don’t like the Redline primary fluid. Lots of noise that wasn’t there with the Formula+. I’m going to switch back asap.

Per the Redline website, their primary fluid has the viscosity of a 5W-30 motor oil. Kind of on the thin side for me.

Formula plus specs out to a 50 grade oil.

Have you thought about using Harley’s new 80W-140 gear oil in your primary?

New 2023 Harley Street Glide.
Changed factory break-in oil out at exactly 100 miles.
Bel-Ray V-Twin Mineral 20-50 and Harley 5 micron filter.
Will do it again at 500 miles then 1,000 and then get on a regular schedule TBD. I may change to Bel-Ray Synthetic after fully broken in may not?

My 2023 Yamaha Super Tenere at 8000 miles…..Yamalube 10-40 regular oil with a Yamaha oil filter as the bike is still under warranty until August 2024.

Back