Post your current MPG

ah , it's hard to say , I called TOYOTA and was told they use whatever's cheaper at bulk at that time . Could be MOBIL Clean , ENEOS ( Nippon ) , or other . Sometimes I wonder if they use an additive to lubricate , clean ( or both ) the fuel system or engine or both from the factory during break in period that brings the better mileage after purchase . We've noticed this on all the TOYOTAs we've bought within the past 4 years . Seems more difficult to repeat those numbers like that when fresh off the lot during those 1st few tanks of gas . It's a bit of a mystery . MYSTERY OIL ? MARVEL as an additive at factory ? I just dunno . ;- )

Last edited:
Thanks smokey. I was wondering I guess if the factory fill was some sort of synthetic, versus my dino Shell (and thus concluding that synthetic does provide better MPG.)

This winter will be a huge change. Battery warmer, oil pan heater, and block heater. It'll be like the car's parked in Florida.
grin2.gif

I know that TOYOTA is using synthetic gear oil for some '09s and '10s . The VIBE , MATRIX and COROLLA are a few that I'm aware of . New '09 and coming 2010 YARIS ? Don't know . Your welcome . Maybe you should get a nice thick color matching quilt to throw over the YARIS on those frigid CANADIAN nights . :- )

Last edited:
Quote:
but I'm accelerating very gently, anticipating when I'll need to slow down and letting the engine do compression braking instead of using the brake pedal, not accelerating to the maximum speed limit when going up hills, and using the gravity to help me speed up when going down.
Driving like someone with common sense..
grin2.gif

Too bad others can not figure it out.

Very good.
thumbsup2.gif

I've always said if you want better MPG, your right foot will make more of a difference than ANY oil type.

35.1 out of my first tank in the Fit! Not great but I also did a little spirited driving this weekend. Refueled and got 42.8 the rest of the way home. Don't know WHAT is up with the Fit's EPA numbers. Maybe it was to get people interested in the Insight???

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Don't know WHAT is up with the Fit's EPA numbers. Maybe it was to get people interested in the Insight???

I thought the new EPA fuel economy standards were supposed to be more 'real life'? Looks like those new standards make fuel economy numbers on the window sticker even further away from reality.

Well, the absolute worst I've seen in my admittedly short history with this car is 34 mpg, which is 1 mpg higher than my EPA stated highway mileage....

I believe the Park Avenue was rated at 18/27, and I've never seen numbers that low in regular driving over the 18 months I've had the car -- more like 21/31.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
10.5 eh, I parents get similar mileage from their F150 towing the camper trailer. I guess it just how big gas engines work when towing...
I'm curious where the closest dyno is near us? How did the S10 do?

We were in Pickering. Place is called Dragonwerks. S10 did OK.....

I just returned from a road trip to Knoxville, TN. Cruising at 70 mph most of the way, a certain amount of city driving, and a lot of uphill/downhill driving in the Smoky Mountains and the Little River Canyon area of NE Alabama, and with the A/C on a lot of the time. And I had the tires up to 35 from the stock 32.

On ethanol-laced gas, which was often the only choice I had, I saw 28.5 mpg over approx. 400 miles. With non-ethanol, which I started the trip with and also found in TN in a couple of places, I got 30.5 over the same sort of distance. Amazing for such a big car.

Yep, I like that fact that a 2 valve pushrod motor does so well in fuel economy. Whats your rpm at 60mph? 1800?
At 70 mph my old Neon would get about the same mileage but it would be spinning at 3000ish rpm...

About 2 weeks ago I went from NJ to Asheville NC and back for a brief vacation. Using my 1996 Ford Contour with the 4 cyl Zetec engine and 5 spd manual tranny I got between 35-38 mpg per tank fill. This was mostly highway driving but some very mountainous terrain and local driving was involved. Locally in NJ I get around 27 mpg. Still pretty good for my "poor man's BMW" ;).

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Yep, I like that fact that a 2 valve pushrod motor does so well in fuel economy. Whats your rpm at 60mph? 1800?
At 70 mph my old Neon would get about the same mileage but it would be spinning at 3000ish rpm...

Yes, right about there -- at 70 I was seeing 2000.

Back