Post office is officially a joke

Here's a recent thing that my wife's mother is going thru with the PO. Within the last 3 weeks my wife's mother has moved from her apt, to a senior cit place in the same town, about 3 miles away. So she went to the po to file the change of address form. So for the last few weeks, she hasn't received any mail at her new add or her old one. She went back to the PO, and they couldn't give her a reason why. Apparently this has never been done before in the history of the PO . People just don't move down there I guess. They were all befuddled, and offered her the opportunity to do it again online. You know the drill, call the number and nobody's there to answer the phone. She's 89 , so she gave up. Then my wife got her nephew involved in this mystery. They told him, for her to go back to the post office with ID, and pay $1 to change her address. If that's all it took, why didn't they tell her that the first time she went there ?.,,,

I would just pay the fee online than be late if you forget.
Technically online would be paid by CC. That’s a small sum at 3%…I do know they are due 3/31, 4/1, and 8/31. So I suppose it has to be possible to walk in without a bill. The pita would be the county bill. That would be the equivalent of going to jury duty (parking, finding the right building and office). It does seem archaic waiting for paper…

My rent is due on the first of the month. When I lived in the south Bronx the landlord would knock on the apartment door around 6 PM to collect. He had a 357 and never had a problem collecting from anyone in the building.

My landlord leaves a rent envelope under the door about a week before. On the 1st of the month I mail the rent in the Post Office (unless it's a Sunday) It takes 4 to 7 days before it gets cashed no problem. If they wanted payment on the 1st I would gladly pay them cash when they knocked on my door to collect.

If the OPs friend wanted to blame USPS all they had to do is make a copy of the money order receipt.

USPS service is not perfect in the Bronx but it's 100 times better than it was just a few years ago.

Pay the fee? Tax bill is $3k and fee is 3%. Or mail a check for $3k. I can fill my car 4 times for that $90 fee. And then there are the other two that add up to another $3k or so.
In my area a local elected tax collector does the billing and collections for all property taxes in our township. One combined County and Municipal tax billing and another for school district tax. Paying any other way but a check, or I suppose, cash is never available. She does sit for a few days a year for those that want to pay in person. I haven't known of any place semi locally that allows property tax payment online or with any sort of plastic or ACH. Same with all municipal permits or fines.

In my area a local elected tax collector does the billing and collections for all property taxes in our township. One combined County and Municipal tax billing and another for school district tax. Paying any other way but a check, or I suppose, cash is never available. She does sit for a few days a year for those that want to pay in person. I haven't known of any place semi locally that allows property tax payment online or with any sort of plastic or ACH. Same with all municipal permits or fines.
I have some property in Wayne County Pa and it's the same, either cash or check. There's also a 2% discount for paying early.

Tried to mail some Xmas cards on the way to work today. All slots crammed full and boxes with doors jammed. When I send Xmas cards I mail one letter to myself. If I don’t get the letter back I know recipients likely never received the cards either. Well the good news is I drove through a flood and my V8 isn’t hydrolocked

Saw a postman (yesterday, Sunday, ~11AM) pulled off on a very quiet country road. Digging through packages.
From the 7/23 official USPS handbook: If customer says, “Digging Through,” employee should instead say, “Sorting,” or “arrangement thereof”

Hate that they don't ring doorbell or notify you of a delivery, simply put package on your porch and leave. :mad:

Reactions: LDB
Hate that they don't ring doorbell or notify you of a delivery, simply put package on your porch and leave. :mad:
Only because we got the Blink doorbell and a camera as well looking at the steps…I see all carriers throw packages onto the steps. Unnecessarily imho not heavy etc but still thrown….

Back