Post office is officially a joke

Gotta get lucky. Just like finding a reliable Indy. My mail person is so nice and dependable. One less thing to stress over. And I tip the heck out out of her at Christmas. $100 without a blink.

Gotta get lucky. Just like finding a reliable Indy. My mail person is so nice and dependable. One less thing to stress over. And I tip the heck out out of her at Christmas. $100 without a blink.
As a federal employee there not allowed to accept gifts of any value. For example they could accept a Christmas card or if you baked her cookies - because the premise is its not a bribe - its value is too low to be of significance. The standard is under 10 bucks or something.

As a federal employee there not allowed to accept gifts of any value. For example they could accept a Christmas card or if you baked her cookies - because the premise is its not a bribe - its value is too low to be of significance. The standard is under 10 bucks or something.
Well I also do the same for my postman. Mine is inside a Christmas card, probably Aredeem does the same:D

As a federal employee there not allowed to accept gifts of any value. For example they could accept a Christmas card or if you baked her cookies - because the premise is its not a bribe - its value is too low to be of significance. The standard is under 10 bucks or something
Got it

If we could create and enforce a "do not mail" list to eliminate the constant flood of hearing aids, cremations, air conditioning, extended warranty, funerals, pet supplies, optical, dental and other junk mail maybe they could manage better with the actual mail.
Those mailings provide a great portion of the USPS's income. If the income from that type of mail was reduced or eliminated, perhaps there'd be even more problems with First Class and other regular and business mail due to the reduction in funds. Just a thought ...

I've got an item headed my way from Houston; I ordered it late last week and it was on Friday of last week when the tracking first became visible (IE, "label created"). By Monday, the post office had it in their possession, and it was estimating a delivery date of Saturday of this week. That concerned me, because our office is closed on Saturdays so I won't see it until the following Monday. But I wasn't worried; if the post office already had it on Monday there was no way it would take all week to get here from Houston, right?

I was wrong. It sat there all week, finally departing Houston in the wee hours this morning (Friday). Tonight, it'll be at one of the Chicago-area regional hubs, and they'll attempt delivery tomorrow (Saturday). Right "on time" I suppose as per the original estimate.

I really do think there must be about a billion rules and by-laws that govern how the mail moves. If such-and-such postage rate stipulates a week's delivery time from Houston to Chicago, then by golly, that's how long it's going to take. Even if it means the mail sits in the post office for four days before it ever starts its journey.

My local PO has had problems for years with mis-delivered mail, failure to take outgoing mail, and very late deliveries. I found out that it was due to a carrier shortage which led the supervisor to assign my route to varying carriers as an add-on to their full day. So, it wasn't such a shock that they didn't seem to care much about this route. Not that it's a major issue, but my mail would be delivered as late as 7:00PM (sometimes they'd knock off for the day before making it to my part of the neighborhood, too) and I had to retrieve my mail from neighbors several times. It also seemed that, consistently, if I didn't have incoming mail on a day that I had outgoing mail the carrier didn't take my outgoing mail. I figured that if they were already on overtime they decided it would add too much time to grab outgoing mail when they had no other reason to stop at my box. After several years of this it appears that they finally got a permanent carrier for my route. I get my mail in the early afternoon each day and my outgoing items are picked up regularly. I even talked with him about that and he told me I should move my flag to the opposite side of the box to make it more visible to him and he referred to some of his coworkers as "lazy." I moved my flag as suggested. I like this guy. I hope I get to keep him for a long time.

PO boxes in my area are relatively cheap, so I rent one, and have all the important stuff I can sent there. A couple times per month, or when I see something pop up on informed delivery, I'll make a trip and check it.

If we could create and enforce a "do not mail" list to eliminate the constant flood of hearing aids, cremations, air conditioning, extended warranty, funerals, pet supplies, optical, dental and other junk mail maybe they could manage better with the actual mail.
They encourage it because they make money on it.

I haven't read every post so I suppose someone has already written this:

Who in 2023 pays bills by mail?

And why?

Last edited:
Who in 2023 pays bills by mail?

And why?

About 50% of the bills I process at work are paper checks sent through the mail.

A lot of our vendors are smaller operations, so checks are just easier for them to deal with. If an org is drawing on a line of credit for operations, they can take advantage of the transit delay before payment hits the checking account.

Don't even get me started with them... I've noticed recently that my packages were going through Richmond like they always do, last I remember my town was the last stop on this route before heading there but I've noticed that I've had some packages come through Maryland but then go down to Richmond and back up to Dulles before coming here.... I've literally had packages go through Hyattsville MD which is only 35-40 miles away from Dulles. I learned today that the change happened around 2 months ago and our truck doesn't goto Richmond anymore but now goes to Dulles which adds at least an extra day to the delivery times because of still having to be sorted in Richmond before going to Dulles.

I'm expecting something in the mail and they supposedly had to mail me a postcard to verify that I can receive mail at this address, evidently my drivers license and ccp is not good enough even though both of them are state issued id's so I have to wait for the card to come in the mail and then bring it with me for my next appt, I was there Thurs. so I'm hoping they mailed it out then and sounded like they were going too, it's the next city over only about 20 miles from here but yet now takes 2 days to get delivered.

Last edited:
My very long term rural route carrier had been an absolute treasure. They're not required to park their vehicle, get out and deliver larger packages to your door. But she always has. Including placing it in a plastic bag if it's raining. She once told me what the length of her route was. I've forgotten the number but it was crazy. Unfortunately, she's been out on very long term medical leave since early this year. We've had a real hodgepodge of subs doing our route. Some do OK and others have been pathetic.

I recently called my PO because I didn't get any mail delivery for 2 days. The Informed Delivery emails showed some inbound both days. The PO told me that they've been getting their truck deliveries from the distribution center 5 or 6 hours late. Sounds like their bad manpower shortage is starting to drag them down.

You haven't lived until you've experienced the post office chaos when there are 3 or 4 adjacent streets that have houses with the same house numbers. Postal delivery people must think that only one house number can occur on one street and not on any adjacent streets, lol.

At the first of this year I had multiple packages mis-delivered over a time period of about six weeks. Confirmed mis-delivery with my local post office on each of the packages, and was able to get the shipper to file claims and get my packages eventually via UPS and FedEx. I spoke with an employee at the post office and was told that the issue was that I needed to update my address. I explained that I have lived at my address for over 26 years, and asked what I needed to update it to.
Can you guess the answer?

Answer... updated address should match your current address... 🤔

Needless to say, I only use USPS if there's no other option. I've even skipped a couple of purchases when that was the case.

In all the years I've only had a few things screwed up and I ship things all the time Actually quite amazing how well it works for how inexpensive it is. Get off my lawn energy is strong in this thread.

I can say this much, in 20 consecutive years, I've never not gotten my property tax bills for the house--there are 3 each year (county, township, school). I do not believe there is a way to pay online, without a fee, that's why the paper is important. So many times I've gotten mail, however, for someone else, who has the same street number, and a street that also starts with the same first 3 letters. This would not be something to brag about imho...there should be a way to separate the two addresses. That would imply that essentially, 2 streets are routinely mixed up

I can say this much, in 20 consecutive years, I've never not gotten my property tax bills for the house--there are 3 each year (county, township, school). I do not believe there is a way to pay online, without a fee, that's why the paper is important. So many times I've gotten mail, however, for someone else, who has the same street number, and a street that also starts with the same first 3 letters. This would not be something to brag about imho...there should be a way to separate the two addresses. That would imply that essentially, 2 streets are routinely mixed up

I would just pay the fee online than be late if you forget.

Back