I detest HOA nazis

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDB

A recent storm did a bit of damage to the 17 year old original roof. It happens. Got a long term local guy with a good reputation and did work for someone I know to replace it. Got a fair quote and he said it will look almost identical to what came off except being "shiny new". Now the HOA nazis emailed me because I didn't ask permission first. I hope the worst Karma imaginable infests itself in their shorts.

I know some people who hate them, and others who live in decent ones that really aren't that bad. Unfortunately I think it is a position (like government) that seems to attract controlling and insecure people. The ones who really should be in those positions to better the community are too busy improving their own lives and working hard.

Just to be clear--did they do more than just email you? Or did all they do was email you, ask about it, and... nothing more?

It's common knowledge anything outside your dwelling must go through the HOA. If you didn't do or know this-it's on you. If all your roofs are brown-and someone installed a pink roof-you wouldn't like it one bit!
This is untrue. I have lived in 3 large HOA's - and all of them had no approval requirement to replace like for like - ie to fix damage.

Now if you wanted to change anything - even a color - yes it needs to go to the design review board.

Obviously read your covenants - but that is how ours is set up.

HOAs should be abolished, it is a scam and they are generally run by power hungry nimrods with a Napoleon complex who failed at politics.

I would e-mail them back. - I'm not usually real popular with them, I wasn't even real popular with them when i was vice president.

You'd be surprised at the blank stares you get when you say "Show me precisely in the bylaws and covenants where it says that".

It's common knowledge anything outside your dwelling must go through the HOA. If you didn't do or know this-it's on you. If all your roofs are brown-and someone installed a pink roof-you wouldn't like it one bit!
State laws and in some cases common law sometimes ban roof repair regulations along with leak and water remediation.

This should fall under an emergency action, no different than the HOA suing the fire department because they cut a whole in the wall on a burning building.

AKA Things that are unplanned and an immediate danger to the home normally cannot be stopped by the hoa.

Roof damage being what it is can total out a home to a teardown state in a few hours if the wrong weather occurs without repair

HOAs should be abolished, it is a scam and they are generally run by power hungry nimrods with a Napoleon complex who failed at politics.

I would e-mail them back. - I'm not usually real popular with them, I wasn't even real popular with them when i was vice president.

You'd be surprised at the blank stares you get when you say "Show me precisely in the bylaws and covenants where it says that".
Sorry-I don't want someone dropping a transmission or picking a motor out next to me in their driveway. Nor-do I want an "pop up" brake shop opened on weekends next to me.

That's what you would have without zoning or in some cases HOAs. I have traveled extensively. In South American you can have a commercial garage right next door to your house. NO THANK YOU.

Did you even read the opening post? He said it would look the same as the old. It's a repair, not an art project.
I did read it. That's what I usually do before I make a comment. Doesn't matter what color it is-if you need an approval.

Last edited:
99% match to what was originally installed. No pink. They're also talking fines etc. which is BS since if they didn't see the work being done they'd never know anything. Rent house I am selling ASAP. This specific HOA is a bunch of anal orifices who need a micrometer to do their measuring.

Sorry-I don't want someone dropping a transmission or picking a motor out next to me in their driveway. Nor-do I want an "pop up" brake shop opened on weekends next to me.

That's what you would have without zoning or in some cases HOAs. I have traveled extensively. In South American you can have a commercial garage right next door to your house. NO THANK YOU.

When you pay the note or lay out the cash - you get a say until then - f straight off.

Choose to live in an HOA regulated community, don't follow the rules, and then come here to complain... Cool story.

Don't like an HOA? Don't like their rules? Then don't live where there is an HOA... Problem solved.
Is it a choice?

In the west unless you live on a farm or industrial or some type of 100 year old antique
70% of new homes are in an hoa.

Entire cities lack non-hoa housing.

At this point might need legal intervention to ban HOAs in certain regions to keep free an clear property available.

I’m always amused how the ma freedom folks love being punished like they are living in a Russian goulag just because a poor person might start living there and maybe change their motor oil or have a yard sale Or possibly use non-white lighting.

IMG_4226.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back