Popup problems since downloading VLC player

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I downloaded the newest VLC player from the actual VLC site. Suddenly I`m getting all these popups at the left side and bottom of the screen,nearly taking up the entire screen. I removed the player,ran malwarebytes twice (once even in safe mode),ran a full Norton scan,did several system restores,and even checked in the add/remove programs (no weird programs are on the list),and am still getting all the popups. How do I get rid of these annoying popups?

Try System Restore (Programs>Accessories>System Tools) and restore the computer to an earlier date before problems.

Are you certain that you downloaded from this site:

http://www.videolan.org/index.html

If you did and got a PUP (potentially unwanted program) I'm very surprised. If you didn't and got it from someplace else, who knows what you actually downloaded. Some of the scam artists are very clever at conning you and you may think you got the correct site when in fact you didn't. Can you tell which version you did get? The current version is 2.1.3

Get Malewarebytes and scan, scan, & scan...

There are a lot of spoof sites that mimic the real site with close names and pop up on a Google search, I once made that mistake with a browser download...

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112
No, don't restore.

What browser?

Internet Explorer. Not sure which one,it`s the original version that came with the computer. HP Pavillion,Windows Vista w/Intel Core 2 Quad. Computer is about 6 years old,I think.

Download CCleaner and then go to the startup section, Internet Explorer, and then do a screenshot (snipping tool or PRTSCN on the keyboard pasted into Paint) and post it here.

try resetting IE. Probably a BHO.

Open Internet Explorer
goto “wrench” icon in top right corner
Select Internet Options
Goto tab Advanced
Select Reset button
Click Reset button
Restart Internet Explorer

The pop ups should now be gone. Then I'd run Hitman Pro.

After that, you'll need to go back into IE. Tools/manage add ons and re-enable the legitimate add ons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A few days ago I downloaded the newest VLC player from the actual VLC site. Suddenly I`m getting all these popups at the left side and bottom of the screen,nearly taking up the entire screen. I removed the player,ran malwarebytes twice (once even in safe mode),ran a full Norton scan,did several system restores,and even checked in the add/remove programs (no weird programs are on the list),and am still getting all the popups. How do I get rid of these annoying popups?

You got it somewhere other than the VLC website:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

"Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking."

Your download was obviously bundled with adware. Look in the "manage addons" section of Internet explorer and also look closer at your add/remove programs list. Also, go to the exact link you downloaded and do it again and see what the EULA says; I bet there is something there saying it's bundled with some ad program and usually you can decline it. That is how CNET is doing their stuff that comes with bloatware. If you download ANYTHING free, even previously used programs that didn't have adware, read the EULA before you install. I got hit with adware from upgrading the Media Player Codec Pack recently and it was in the add/remove programs list.

Good news! I ran malwarebytes two times in a row,and it aparently got rid of whatever was causing the popups. I`m popup free now!

Did you download it from vlc media player . org? The installer there is bundled with adware; I downloaded it and scanned it with malwarebytes and it flagged it; also Avira shows the download link as a malware site.

wow that's a bad site

vlcmediaplayer dot org

its bad bad bad.

badvlc.JPG

thats what I got by clicking on the download link.

you could also run a free scan with eset online scanner, make sure PUP is checked (potentially unwanted programs)

http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

Last edited:
I don't know how many times I've mentioned this to people I know when downloading software you MUST do some research to make sure you know the site is safe and problem free.

Usually the best place to download software is from the source's site or their designated site.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I don't know how many times I've mentioned this to people I know when downloading software you MUST do some research to make sure you know the site is safe and problem free.

Usually the best place to download software is from the source's site or their designated site.

Or just let your Linux package manager push updates or provide binaries for you: They would have been compiled directly from source code by a package maintainer and tested by that maintainer before even being made available for you to click a button once to install and/ or update it!

I know:
18.gif

It is just so frustrating seeing people who never asked for this kind of garbage having to deal with it. Non-technical people should not be having to spend their time with this horse-pucky.

Originally Posted By: Rand
wow that's a bad site

vlcmediaplayer dot org

its bad bad bad.

badvlc.JPG

thats what I got by clicking on the download link.

you could also run a free scan with eset online scanner, make sure PUP is checked (potentially unwanted programs)

http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

That's exactly what I got with Avira; 6 others on virust total block it as well. however, whatever the adware is can be refused when you install VLC player. You have to look through those installation screens like a hawk to spot the part where it says so and so program is bundled with adware and can be unchecked.

What's a real shame is Cnet/Download.com is now heavily packaging free downloads with this [censored]. They did in the past and stopped because of the backlash but have started again. Majorgeeks is a much better site to download open source software from.

this is one reason i let VLC check for updates on it's own, and let it handle the download.

+1 for majorgeeks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back