Please help me diagnose problem with FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing a noise when I get my FJ Cruiser above 40mph. It's probably there at lower speeds but gets loud enough to hear at that speed. It sounds like it's coming from the left front tire. It increases with speed but is independent of the engine.

I've noticed that the noise seems to go away when I'm turning either right or left. It only happens when I driving straight.

Backstory... I took my FJ to WalMart to have them rotate the tires. (I was in a hurry and got them to do it. This was probably a mistake.) After that I thought I heard something but I figured it was just tire noise due to the rotation or something and that it would die down. Again, it was coming and going as I turned and I usually have the radio on so I didn't hear it all the time.

After a while I started noticing a slow leak in my left front tire. At that point I thought the sound might be related to low pressure in the tire and I thought that was what had caused the noise initially but after pumping the tire back up, the noise remained.

At this point, I was super aware of the problem and noticed it every time I drove anywhere.

I went to get the tire repaired and, due to the age of the tires, I just decided to go ahead and put four new tires. I also got an alignment done.

So, I know it's not the tires or the alignment. The noise is still there, however.

Any idea what I should check next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LotI
With the mileage on the FJ, a wheel bearing would be on my list to check. It looks like a bolt-in part at ~$60 on Rockauto.

I would think that as well. There are a couple ways you might be able to narrow it down. One way, you can feel if the bearing is hotter than the other side after a long drive. Another way is to jack up that corner and try to jiggle the wheel. Any movement indicates that the bearing might need to be replaced. Try spin the wheel at the time and see if it isn't perfectly smooth. Compare to the wheel on the other side.

I don't think those tests always indicate a bad bearing, it's possible not to have any of those symptoms and still have a failing bearing.

Nice truck, by the way!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
99% sure its a wheel bearing. I had my two fronts replaced at about 90kmiles also.

I'm at 96k on the 05 Matrix and I think the passenger side wheel bearing is going out. What was the charge for the two front bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back