Ever lost lug nuts while driving?

My dad did this once, he forgot to torque his lug bolts, a few days later he felt a vibration so once he got home we were looking for missing weights or lumpy tires and I idly twisted a lug bolt out with my fingers. We tightened the wheels up and the vibration was gone

When I plugged a tire last week I also rotated my tires. Was driving on the highway and noticed loud tire noises and vibration from the side of the car I put the plugged tire on. I thought maybe the tire was going flat. I ch checked and it was fine but I noticed a lug nut was missing. I got the lug wrench and sure enough a few nuts were also loose. That will teach me to use my breaker bar next time to tighten them!
I’ve never lost one, but years ago my ex’s previous ex was driving his Chevy truck down the road and the whole tire departed the vehicle. None of the studs were sheared off. He called my ex and accused me of doing it. Like I gave a 💩 about her ex lmao… and no, it wasn’t me. But that had to be a wild ride losing a whole rim & tire at 55mph!

Nope. I have had issues with alloys needing to be retorqued, and avoid those when I can.

I think one time I had a wheel get loose, but the reason was the nut behind the wheel.

IMO lug nut torque is not that critical. I mean, get a torque wrench but a cheap one is more than adequate. And if you go over a few percent... nothing is going to happen. You know the OEM's are likely designing these to handle corner shops who believe "if a little is good then more is better".

When I plugged a tire last week I also rotated my tires. Was driving on the highway and noticed loud tire noises and vibration from the side of the car I put the plugged tire on. I thought maybe the tire was going flat. I ch checked and it was fine but I noticed a lug nut was missing. I got the lug wrench and sure enough a few nuts were also loose. That will teach me to use my breaker bar next time to tighten them!
that is one of the benefits or working on your own vehicles... you know who to blame if something falls off. :)

My wife’s V70 XC lost a wheel bolt.

She called me and said it was clunking. I told her not to drive it, except to the garage a half mile away.

They found four loose bolts, and one missing. So, they replaced the missing bolt, torqued the others.

They charged me $89. Didn’t seem bad…until I realized that they were the ones who had performed the Virginia State Inspection the week before.

During that inspection, which requires a brake thickness inspection, they removed the left front wheel…

So, they don’t work on my cars any more.

I have a really bad back. I did my brakes a couple of months ago and could barely get the last tire back onto the studs. I was in terrible pain. I did my thing of spinning them on impact tight while up in the air, dropped it back on the ground and promptly forgot to tighten them. Next day I felt it in my front end and I had 2 hanging on by just about 2 threads, all others very loose. When it's up in the air and I tap it with the impact it's probably no more than 10-15 lbs. I was mad as hell at myself. Spun them on with the factory tire tool and torqued them as soon as I got home. First time in my life I'd done that. Re-did the front slide pins 2 weeks ago. I did not forget again!

Use a torque wrench next time!

Back