Physical fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.
When in doubt,,just walk 30 minutes, on Mon - Wed- and Friday, keep it simple, thats all. The days of jumping out of helicopters is over for some of us, so enjoy a walk, you may see stuff you have never seen before. I enjoy walking at Cane Creek Park in Cookeville tn. Its a few miles around it, got turtles, Mallards,Geese,other wild ducks and stuff. Its level mostly, and relaxing with benches,lots of trees, and so on...if you have a boat you can fish, using trolling motors only, no gas engines. You can canoe, or just use a paddle boat.....you don't have to change oil 24/7 ,lol.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm 49 my wife and i workout 3 times a week, 20 minutes aerobic and the another 20 weightlifting. I used to like to cycle but i just can't fix my hands going numb after about 8 miles. I've tried every handle bar post, different wraps, padded gloves etc. I'm going to sell my cannondale road bike as i just can't ride it.

I don't think that grips or handlebars will fix this for you.

At about that age, I started getting numbness/tingling in my hands at night. It's the nerves in my cervical spine being compressed (too many years of pulling Gs perhaps, or too many years at a computer keyboard with bad posture). Chiropractic care, traction and Motrin all help but I still wake up at night with the tingling once in a while.

I suspect that's it's you, not the bike, that needs fixing....you and I are past our warranty age...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I don't think that grips or handlebars will fix this for you.

I suspect that's it's you, not the bike, that needs fixing....you and I are past our warranty age...

I agree, Its me. I just can't find a work around. I don't have capal tunnel. I don't have numbness at any other time.( maybe rarely at night.) I hate to give in as i enjoyed riding fast. But i might try a more upright bike. like a mountain or cross bike. You just can't go as fast.

A problem here in America is that it's easy to compare oneself to fat others. But, using objective criteria, we, as a nation are quite unfit.

I ride my bike 27 miles, go to the gym every other day and pump iron. I'm 50, and not fit.

Compared to others, I look great. Compared to what I should be, I'm out of shape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
A problem here in America is that it's easy to compare oneself to fat others. But, using objective criteria, we, as a nation are quite unfit.

I ride my bike 27 miles, go to the gym every other day and pump iron. I'm 50, and not fit.

Compared to others, I look great. Compared to what I should be, I'm out of shape.

You are correct. Americans ARE in horrid shape. We live a bit TOO good when it comes to food choices and availability. We also have a generally lazy populace that prefers to stare at a TV, smart phones, or computers more than actually participating in real activities.
I compare myself to others (it's normal and unavoidable). But I also make sure that I realize the truth. I know what I should weigh and how fit I should be. I don't think I will ever lose sight of that.

I don't worry about it in the least. I drink enough beer and eat enough fruit to keep me healthy.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet

True as evidenced by the huge trend of type 2 diabetes. We have improved heart disease with treatment and cholesterol management. If fact diabetes is much better managed as whole, but too many people are becoming type 2 diabetic and its on the rise in this country.

I'm 49 my wife and i workout 3 times a week, 20 minutes aerobic and the another 20 weightlifting. I used to like to cycle but i just can't fix my hands going numb after about 8 miles. I've tried every handle bar post, different wraps, padded gloves etc. I'm going to sell my cannondale road bike as i just can't ride it.

I've noticed similar numbness since beginning to regularly ride last August. Usually occurs on the mountain bike instead of the road bike. Odd that. Not regular either. Comes and goes. I'm 53.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

I've noticed similar numbness since beginning to regularly ride last August. Usually occurs on the mountain bike instead of the road bike. Odd that. Not regular either. Comes and goes. I'm 53.

32.gif

Hand position is everything. No one is going to get any sympathy from me on wrist pain just because they're old, since I have a large DVR plate in my left wrist... On a road bike, you simply have to change how you hold the bars to avoid constantly compressing the carpal bones. Here's a good example of how to relive the pressure:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tdf13lookbackmw-09millar.jpg

You can ride all day like that and never have any pressure on your wrists. A recreational cyclist will have to have the bars a lot higher, but the principle is the same.

It's harder obviously on a mountain bike, but adding bar ends and using them where appropriate goes a long way.

You just have to keep moving to a new position. That's one reason I chose a road bike over a flat bar, different positions. In the drops, on the hoods or on the bar.

When or if I start to feel numbness, move to a new position.

Just walk......................one mile a day if you can, hey, 100 yards is a starting point,,remember we are not all the same and many in here are not bullet proof anymore,,,whoops, we got older, but keep walking or u will lock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back