Massive Fail at Lowes Yesterday

Our Lowe’s was exactly as described by the OP, until the Menards was built almost next door.

That caused a major change at Lowe’s, as very few of us graced their door again. Late in 2020, Lowe’s had a policy that was more in line to my personal desire than what Menards requirement was, so I went there and have rarely gone to Menards since. Our Lowe’s is now a good place to shop.
Walmart came to Canada c. 1994. Many of us noticed that customer service at Canadian Tire improved significantly after Walmart raised the bar.

I'm a Lowe's regular, but I've given up on the wood cutting. If I really think I need it, I'll call ahead, and make sure that ONE GUY is in today. Like your store, it gets down to that ONE GUY who's trained, if he's in, great, if not, not going to happen.

I'm a Lowe's regular, but I've given up on the wood cutting. If I really think I need it, I'll call ahead, and make sure that ONE GUY is in today. Like your store, it gets down to that ONE GUY who's trained, if he's in, great, if not, not going to happen.

I would tip the that One Guy and get his number so I can call when I need quality work.

Don't be so sure about that. Elder discrimination is very real everywhere.
I'm 70 and I have experienced this at my local Lowe's and Home Depot on an almost regular basis. My age, (or yours for that matter), has nothing to do with it. Believe me. If you were in your 30's you would experience the same crap at these places.

These big box stores run like this all the time. (No help anywhere). Especially if you go there early in the morning. You could race a shifter kart up and down the isles, and not hit anyone. It is ALWAYS self serve at my local Lowe's and Home Depot. And yes, I've even cut my own lumber. (They never lock out the switch at Lowe's.... Home Depot, sometimes).

I'm actually getting to be quite good at it. I know the store better than half the employees there. I'll grab one of those rolling stairs, move it to where I need, climb up to the top shelf, and start opening boxes. If an employee sees me up there, they'll immediately mobilize the store to get me what I need.

They're far more afraid of me doing a header, and end up with a liability lawsuit, than they are of helping you as a customer. So take a whack at plan B, and shame them into it. Works most every time for me.

Today you have to face the fact that customer service has gone to hell, and it's only going to get worse. Today the customer is not only never right, they don't even exist half the time...... Unless they trip over you.

I

These big box stores run like this all the time. (No help anywhere). Especially if you go there early in the morning. You could race a shifter kart up and down the isles, and not hit anyone. It is ALWAYS self serve at my local Lowe's and Home Depot. And yes, I've even cut my own lumber. (They never lock out the switch at Lowe's.... Home Depot, sometimes).

I'm actually getting to be quite good at it. I know the store better than half the employees there. I'll grab one of those rolling stairs, move it to where I need, climb up to the top shelf, and start opening boxes. If an employee sees me up there, they'll immediately mobilize the store to get me what I need.
Your hired!

I do have to say, I like the call for help buttons in the stores. They had NO delay...haha.

"Assistance needed in plumbing" ding dong, plumbing..... then the customer gets impatient and keeps pressing the button....

"Assistance needed in plumbing" doin doin, plumbing. BEEP, assistance needed in plumbing... do do plumbing... BEEEP assistance needed in plumbing.... do doin plumbing. BEEP, assistance needed in plumbing... do do plumbing... BEEEP assistance needed in plumbing.... do doin plumbing. BEEP, assistance needed in plumbing... do do plumbing... BEEEP assistance needed in plumbing.... do doin plumbing.

Everyone in the store heard this...and often multiple departments would have button pushing competitions.

I usually buy from Menards but last year tried out Lowes for a new battery chain saw. The Kobalt brand, 18" ~$300. It lasted about 3 months and quit working. Lowes says to call Kobalt (owned by Lowes), Kobalt says take it to Lowes for exchange. None in stock and apparently discontinued?

Called customer service and they said the same, after enlightening them to the problem repeatedly they agreed to issue store credit. Apparently open ended as it covered a more expensive chain saw by about $30. So I was happy.

But then bought a new John Deere Z320 Zero turn from them. Price was lowest compared to dealer due to free shipping and free installation of options. Well they held up the delivery by two weeks, apparently due to no help. Did not install the optional mulcher kit. Quite PITA but glad I did it. Also had a rebate for $200 that they refused and have given me no good reason for.

Rumor has it that if you involve corporate customer service they don't forget it.

I hope to never use them again.

Walmart is doing quite well considering what has happened to retail. They have been survivors ... and their latest CEO is doing a great job as well.
This can be said of a lot of stocks but if you bought WALMART (WMT) when it went public in the early 1970s, a $1000 investment is worth over $17,000,000 (17 million today)
Nothing to sneeze at as much as we at times tend to trash them, it maybe not be for everyone but they know their market.

In case that doesnt sound real, one thousand dollars is now worth 17 million.
At the IPO price $1000 would have purchased 60 shares, after stock splits today you would own 124,129.28 shares.

Last edited:
I have a couple real lumber yards near me. Also real Hardware stores. Try to avoid Lowes or HD. unless I know what I want, where it is, so I can get in and out.

Lowe’s is one of my best stocks as is Costco.

I acquired Broadcom as a vmw owner and those both did me well.

I’ve never had any stock that made me a millionaire. I think that’s realistic. And I got started around 1998. If I had held my Amazon investment it’s likely be $600k. But my mom said don’t be greedy, just keep working

Last I had cut was sheet of plywood, their machine cuts much straighter than I can cut. Had to explain how to do it to the clerk.

Rod

Use your age like a weapon,When you get to mgr level.Let out with: "Son, I was cutting on panel saws, running forklifts climbing rolling stairs, driving truck etc before you were a gleam in your old man's eyes.Maybe before he was a gleam. The only reason I'm not working is because I don't need to."
Then ask the poor guy for his phone # so you can call ahead next time.

Local Lowes and Home Depot are pretty good at Customer Service, I'm 71 and always get the help I need, always wear my NAVY retired cap and get a lot of Thanks for you service, usually don't need service as I pretty much know where everything Is located, always search out the young ladies when help is needed. :devilish:

Yesterday the Lady Friend and I went to Lowes for shelf brackets and wood to make painted shelfs.

First the shelf brackets. The ones Karen (her real name) wanted were supposed to have 18 in stock. She wanted 12. After the only helpful employed gave up trying to find the extra box with 12 brackets, she snagged the area manager. He spent 20 minutes looking for the extra box of 12. Another computer inventory malfarktion. Either that or stolen. He arranged for a dozen to arrive today and to hold them for her. More on that later.

Now the wood for the shelves. Went to the Cust Service in that area and asked for assistance. Noticed 4 people standing around doing nothing. Went to the wood to wait for someone to cut it for us. 10 minutes later I went back to the CS desk and again asked for assistance. Same four people standing around doing nothing. Went back to the wood cutting area. Another 10 minutes pass and still no help. Karen asked the Cust Service if there was a problem. She had no answer. Karen then proceeded to walk to the middle of the store and at the top of her lungs screamed is there anyone one here who can cut wood. Likety split a floor manager up front came over and asked what the problem was. The floor manager said the only person trained and cleared to cut wood quit earlier in the day. Apparently the CS folks didn't even realize the wood cutter quit several hours earlier. Is it ever going to get better. The clueless leading the clueless. We spent nearly an hour there and came away empty.
I need boards cut in half so they fit in my car. I carry one of those Japanese style saws and do it my self. Either in the store or in the lot.

Back