Physical fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HM12460
The cost of a gym membership (and actually using it) is money well spent. What price tag do you attach to your continued good health?

I find that not needing a gym or any sort of membership allows me the freedom and routines to workout regardless of where I am. Even on vacations I don't stop. Recently, at my place of work, they offer an exercise facility. Really nice place actually. I'll go in there on my lunch breaks a few times a week but I do the same workouts I can do at home....so I am not tied to any certain machines or equipment.

I only have a gym membership because there are locations near every place I go so no excuses. Otherwise, I am totally lazy about getting to the gym. I will not drive an extra mile to get there, but if it is right off the road I am good! Surprising things I have noticed at 41 years old. 1. I am stronger than ever. However, when I focus more on losing weight, I have trouble maintaining my strength. For example, at 18 I was 175lbs and could barely bench 145lbs. Now I am 210 and can bench 205. 2. My cardio is way under what it used to be and not returning as fast as strength. 3. For one day, I can still do great at sports, but need a couple days to recover. Played football with a bunch of 20 yo and dominated. Couldn't release the foot parking brake the next day without using my hands to lift my foot high enough! Overall, getting old isn't so bad tho.

ref

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The cost of a gym membership (and actually using it) is money well spent. What price tag do you attach to your continued good health?

I find that not needing a gym or any sort of membership allows me the freedom and routines to workout regardless of where I am. Even on vacations I don't stop. Recently, at my place of work, they offer an exercise facility. Really nice place actually. I'll go in there on my lunch breaks a few times a week but I do the same workouts I can do at home....so I am not tied to any certain machines or equipment.

+2. I always make our spare bedroom a workout/weight room. When on vacation I always bring my dumbells and weights.

Whatever the fitness level, strive to do better. Getting going after a layoff can be ... problematic.

I'm 56, diabetic (eating too well for too long), high bp, and try to stay in as good a shape as I can muster. I have the treadmill, Smith machine, iron weights, and an area for some aerobic exercising. Motivation comes and goes, but I get to them when I can.

I have a couple of landscaping projects going right now. Lots of 54lb blocks, hand digging, shoveling, dirt moving. My truck holds 25 or 30 of them, and I load and unload, stack, them move them for placement at the work site. The first couple of loads really beat me up but working through it slowly got the job done. Now I've started with the second project and it's a lot easier to get started. I really enjoy strength. I'll be sad to see it go when that time comes.

Never been able to do pullups. Never liked running, but tried to. 6" tree ain't nuthin'. I prefer lifting and moving.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: andrewg

+2. I always make our spare bedroom a workout/weight room. When on vacation I always bring my dumbells and weights.

Ha ha ha...that is really great. You sound very much like me. When I brought my power blocks (nesting dumbbells) on a vacation, I got some weird looks!
It kinda makes me sound like a fanatic or a muscle-head....but I'm not big or have bulging biceps....I just know that I need to keep stuff moving. I am lean for my age and in good shape. That's the way I want to be until I die, if possible.

108854458_medium_20aa7a.jpg

As long as I can still do this, I think I'm doing well.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'll be 70 in 3 weeks.
I mowed 2 good sized lawns yesterday with my Lawn-Boy push mower.
I feel pretty good.

Picture me like Surfstar above but moving horizontal instead of vertical ... with a Lawn-Boy.
55.gif

Bob

Awesome!!

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
anyone over 60 in here still doing the weights and stuff

My dad will be 72 in a couple weeks. Still goes running every night and still lifts weights. :^)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

My dad will be 72 in a couple weeks. Still goes running every night and still lifts weights. :^)

That is really inspiring. Good for him!

Over 50 and still doing weights and stuff...gets harder to keep motivated every year....

Hope to be in that over 60 category you mention...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Hope to be in that over 60 category you mention...

Keep up the good work Astro and you will! You`ll be 60-70 and will be able to take down anyone 1/4 your age. Hardcore workouts will keep you young,physically and mentally.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'll be 70 in 3 weeks.
I mowed 2 good sized lawns yesterday with my Lawn-Boy push mower.
I feel pretty good.

Picture me like Surfstar above but moving horizontal instead of vertical ... with a Lawn-Boy.
55.gif

Bob

Im 68,,got 3 acres,,I ride,,but one time I tried a push mower,,wow,it takes a lot of energy.............u r doing good.

Over 50 and like others, I do what I can, but with a ten year old daughter and a wife with a weird RN schedule, just not a lot of time to do anything once all the house chores are done. But, I do grab some dumbells and get after it while watching TV. Don't want to have man boobs.....plus.....trying to stay somewhat fit for my 10 year old. I'm 5'11" and right at 185 with a 34 inch waist....at PTA meetings, I'm in better shape than over half the other parents that are probably 10 or more years younger. This is Oklahoma, fried food capital of the world.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Over 50 and like others, I do what I can, but with a ten year old daughter and a wife with a weird RN schedule, just not a lot of time to do anything once all the house chores are done. But, I do grab some dumbells and get after it while watching TV. Don't want to have man boobs.....plus.....trying to stay somewhat fit for my 10 year old. I'm 5'11" and right at 185 with a 34 inch waist....at PTA meetings, I'm in better shape than over half the other parents that are probably 10 or more years younger. This is Oklahoma, fried food capital of the world.

Good job Schmoe! Squeeze it in when you can. I'm also 5'11". 51 years old....32 waist and about 165lbs.
It's true....most fellas our age look like doo-doo. But that's fine. As long as they understand the consequences.

Can you walk 2 miles in 30 minutes?...sure

Can you do 10 push ups in 10 minutes?....10 seconds

Can you do 5 pull ups using the 1,2,3 count to the bar and back down slowly?...nope Im fat.

Can you take an Ax and cut a 6" diameter log in half in 5 minutes, can you do 5 of them in 15 minutes?...split it, easily. Cut it in half, that's gonna be moving out.

Im over 300 and working to get down to 265. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost willpower at some point.

I will say yesterday I carried a large metal trellis thing my wife had me make. Its 140 yards from the shop to where it sits now. Weighed in at 300+ lbs. At 2ft square and 12 feet long, i hopped inside, deadlifted to waist height, and rolled out. Was pretty winded by the time I made it there...was more winded when I stood it up.

Fitness means a lot of things. Id say Im about as unfit as you can get.

I'm 49 my wife and i workout 3 times a week, 20 minutes aerobic and the another 20 weightlifting. I used to like to cycle but i just can't fix my hands going numb after about 8 miles. I've tried every handle bar post, different wraps, padded gloves etc. I'm going to sell my cannondale road bike as i just can't ride it.

Bummer. Biking is one of my favorite things to do in life. I'm bummed at the moment, it will be a nice weekend and my legs are not up for a good long ride--didn't spend enough time in the trainer nor getting any rides in during the cooler weather to get ready.
frown.gif

Maybe a flat bar bike, or mustache bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back