Phosphates ,and dishwashers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qjohn
After reading this thread, I just cleaned out the arms and screens for our GE dishwasher. A lot of the spray holes were plugged up and the screen was full of debris. I am running it now and can just hear how much water is spraying around.

+1 I do mine about every 2 years. Then give the machine a vinegar and tsp wash cycle.

Originally Posted By: Doog

+1 I do mine about every 2 years. Then give the machine a vinegar and tsp wash cycle.

Not a bad idea since you use yours as a parts washer!
grin2.gif

TSP will boost your laundry detergent, too. It used to be in laundry detergents. When they took it out clothes didn't get as clean. That's why they make all those laundry booster products now.

Charlie's Soap and TSP, with some 20 Mule Team Borax for whites works wonders.

In my dishwasher in Europe there was a big reservoir in the bottom for rock salt. Every month or so you needed to add a pound.

Have your water tested for hardness which can be free by sales folks for the systems.

My guess is a tad hard.

There may be detergents that work better or in my case at a vacation house we used borax in additional to liquid detergent. Note powder stuff is harder on plates etc in less optimal conditions because it does not fully dissolve.

Originally Posted By: cat843
A properly working dishwasher, hot water and decent detergent should get dishes clean. Sounds like a filter is not working. Typically there is a filter to catch stuff during the wash cycle and it then empties everything caught during the drain cycle.
Nope. Our Bosch started to not get dishes clean some years ago. I worked out that the new big box of cascade wasn't the same as the old box of cascade. Found some real detergent and problem resolved itself immediately. Phosphate free is garbage. I'm amazed at all the people justifying this nonsense. "Well, I just wash my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher and they clean just fine and stuff." I have a dishwasher so it can wash the dishes.

Originally Posted By: hatt
TSP isn't the right stuff. Most doesn't even contain phosphate. You need sodium tripolyphosphate.

Actual TSP (trisodium phosphate) definitely contains phosphate, but the "TSP substitutes" do not. I used it for a long time alongside my non-phosphate dishwasher detergent and it worked great, but now I use the Finish Powerball tabs which seem to work OK by themselves.

I used to be able to buy Cascade restaurant dishwasher detergent at a supply store, but now even that is non-phosphate.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
TSP isn't the right stuff. Most doesn't even contain phosphate. You need sodium tripolyphosphate.

Actual TSP (trisodium phosphate) definitely contains phosphate, but the "TSP substitutes" do not. I used it for a long time alongside my non-phosphate dishwasher detergent and it worked great, but now I use the Finish Powerball tabs which seem to work OK by themselves.

I used to be able to buy Cascade restaurant dishwasher detergent at a supply store, but now even that is non-phosphate.
Most of the "TSP" in stores is the phosphate free stuff. Even if you find real TSP it's still the wrong stuff and doesn't work like the STTP.

Yep I was getting the commercial Cascade at GFS until they changed it. I'm almost out. I found a chemical company that sells 50lb bags of STTP for $75. Probably going to have to mix my own. Good thing is I'll be able to wash cloths too.

Yeah, we have a commercial account at Restaurant Depot and now they are selling a Cascade fryer boil-out product that contains phosphates. Some people are adding this to their detergent, I really haven't looked at what all it contains. It might be fine but I just don't know.

Originally Posted By: cat843
A properly working dishwasher, hot water and decent detergent should get dishes clean. Sounds like a filter is not working. Typically there is a filter to catch stuff during the wash cycle and it then empties everything caught during the drain cycle.
Nope. Our Bosch started to not get dishes clean some years ago. I worked out that the new big box of cascade wasn't the same as the old box of cascade. Found some real detergent and problem resolved itself immediately. Phosphate free is garbage. I'm amazed at all the people justifying this nonsense. "Well, I just wash my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher and they clean just fine and stuff." I have a dishwasher so it can wash the dishes.

Pablum. My mother has been using phosphate-free dishwasher detergent for about 25 years now. Everything gets clean. Not sure what she uses now, but she used Arm & Hammer for a long time. The only time she didn't have clean dishes was when her old dishwasher was wearing out.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

That formula is now labeled "Fryer Boil-Out". My Amazon link on the first page has the best price I could find. It's just relabeled commercial detergent.

I've used TSP in my laundry for years since phosphates were removed from the detergent. Some loads are really dirty from yardwork, construction, working on the car, etc. I let them soak awhile before going on through the cycle. I even have a water softener to boot.

Walmarts old dishwasher detergent was highly ranked by CR...before phosphates were removed. I used it regularly. Now I use the Finnish tabs, plus a little WM extra in the other cup for big loads.

I've also had to clean out both sprayer arms as they will clog with food debris over time. My screen is still intact but something else needs attention in my 20 yrs old Maytag JetClean. Last time I had the inside apart, I noticed some rusted screws that need replacing with SS.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yeah I see that Amazon now calls the commercial Cascade "Fryer Boil Out".
crackmeup2.gif

Price tag is $40-$50 bucks for a box of detergent. I think not.
shocked2.gif

The two most important factors to consider are water temp and water hardness. If you have soft water, TSP isn't needed and you can get by with any cheap detergent as long as the dishwasher has the water temperature boost option. With hard water, you definitely need TSP or much more detergent.

I have naturally soft water so I use 1/2 tablespoon cheap detergent per load, w/o TSP. Dishes come out sparkling clean

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Yeah I see that Amazon now calls the commercial Cascade "Fryer Boil Out".
crackmeup2.gif

Price tag is $40-$50 bucks for a box of detergent. I think not.
shocked2.gif

Or, $60 for a case.

If you have soft water you might get by with neutered detergent.

She had hard well water, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back