Windshield washer fluid - DYI mix?

I've been happily using 20/10 windshield washer fluid concentrate for supplementing whatever generic jug of winter windshield washer fluid is on sale. My belief (and it has been working out) is that the 20/10 concentrate makes the generic stuff "soapier". That is, it cleans better and, importantly, the wipers glide over the windshield smoother.

Lately, I've been having some trouble finding 20/10 again. My local big box auto parts store seems to have stopped carrying it.

So I'm wondering if someone has cooked up a DIY formula for making good windshield washer fluid, especially to make it "soapier".

Just a note, an Internet search for "DIY windshield washer fluid" has results that often start out with dishwashing liquid. Many years ago, I tried adding dishwashing liquid to my windshield washer fluid and it was a terrible idea.

Dishwashing liquid can make dishes "squeaky clean". But that's the LAST THING you want for a windshield washer fluid. It makes the windshield wipers squeak, skip, and stutter over the windshield because the windshield is then "too clean", or rather "squeaky clean".

I had to pump out that mixture I made and refill it with just the generic stuff.

It doesn't get too cold here and so the regular winter windshield washer fluid is good enough to generally prevent freezing on the windshield. And so I'm not in search of something that will lower the freezing point. Just need to make it soapier.

I have noticed the same thing. Windshield washer fluid is limited these days.

I recently bought a gallon of Supertech Winter formula at Walmart for $1.00. I added this to it to give it a boost.

Last edited:
I spent a moment trying to word this a few different ways, trying to minimize offensiveness because that is not my intention.

You need to just stop trying to pretend to know what you stated. It is false nonsense.

You have crappy wipers that need replaced, and the only issue with more detergent is more foaming, and/or if you wax the vehicle, the detergent stripping the wax off areas it contacts.

You are beyond help, just buy the washer product and pick a different wiper blade, long story short.

I have made my own washer fluid, from water, alcohol, and detergent. This isn't rocket surgery. Blame the faulty part.

That's fine and all but it's $17/5 gal with delivery.
Doesn't seem like much of a bargain.
You must of missed the "Concentrate" part in the link description.

You mix the stuff with water. 5 liters is about 169 oz, so, 1 gallon of water or pre-mix (for the OP), it's good for 169 gallons.

Thanks for the links. I might try the blue tablets. I'll just add a tablet to a jug of storebought winter fluid to boost its cleaning power and to take advantage of the below-freezing protection.

While I had said I don't need freeze protection, it does dip below freezing occasionally for about 2 months out of the year; just enough to be annoying. I normally buy winter-grade fluid only and use it year-round to avoid having summer fluid in the tank when it occasionally freezes.

Because it's so cheap, I might add 2 tablets per jug to get it really soapy.

I spent a moment trying to word this a few different ways, trying to minimize offensiveness because that is not my intention.

You need to just stop trying to pretend to know what you stated. It is false nonsense.

You have crappy wipers that need replaced, and the only issue with more detergent is more foaming, and/or if you wax the vehicle, the detergent stripping the wax off areas it contacts.

You are beyond help, just buy the washer product and pick a different wiper blade, long story short.

I have made my own washer fluid, from water, alcohol, and detergent. This isn't rocket surgery. Blame the faulty part.
I actually appreciate the bluntness. And your point is sometimes valid. I have stretched my wipers beyond their useful life at times.

Still, a nice soapy fluid does help, even with new wipers, and especially with older wipers.

If the fluid is too soapy it won’t pump correctly plus it will dry and clog your nozzles if not used or exposed to heat.

The mix that I have used for years is:
1 cup (approximately) denatured alcohol​
1 cup (approximately) clear ammonia​
2 or 3 drops Dawn dish detergent​
Enough water to fill a 1 gal. jug​

This mix works well for me. I live in NE Florida, so only light freezes. You may want to increase the alcohol concentration for northern winters.

1 gallon distilled water, pour a little bit out, add a little bit of Glass Plus and 91% alcohol.

not blue, but its perfect!

Do you need to use distilled water?
I live in Vegas, not sure I want to drink remnants of old dead people killed back in the mafia years and the rotting barrels they were put in, nor do I want that in my windshield fluid reservoir :giggle::alien:. If your water is good, you could go tap, but only distilled in Radiator.

Concentrated washer fluid tablets are the way to go. Plop in water, in a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol, or as a booster in premixed washer fluid.
I would not recommend the 303 windshield washer tablets. I tried them several times, and was never impressed with the results. I tried them to the instructions the first time, with only average results. So I tried using two tablets to a gallon of water. Still only average results. Then three to a gallon. No noticeable improvement. I tried adding them to the cheap windshield washer fluid, thinking they may boost the performance. No noticeable improvement. Don't waste your money. There are better options out there.

I have used Nextzett Kristallklar Premium and have been very happy with the results. It does a great job of cleaning the windshield. It does not have any anti-freeze ingredients, but they show a water/alcohol ratio for different temperatures. I would highly recommend this product.

After reading excellent reviews, I recently bought a bottle of the BMW windshield washer concentrate. I haven't tried it yet. But it has the advantage of having antifreeze additive in it, so the back label shows multiple mix ratios, depending upon the freeze point desired. If the reviews are accurate, this should be a great option for a windshield washer concentrate.

Back