Phobias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
A few days ago, my fear of cats prevented me from visiting a friend, so I decided I had to do somthing about my problem. Don't worry, the cat is just fine! Merkava_4 recently reminded me kindly that cats are very loving creatures and I decided to give cats another chance. I actually ended up touching my neighbor's cat Frankie who always slinks around my legs when I check my mailbox. I didn't even scream (much), and while I am not ready for a cat hopping into my lap, I have taken a big step in seeing them as less of a mencace. See the proof below. Thanks again, Merkava_4!

Never mind my white thumb. It's from scrubbing my hands dozens of time every day. No, it's not a compulsion, but I deal with sick people with compromised immune systems and have to have clean hands all the time to prevent spreading and getting infections.

hotwheels

Is that a blister in his mouth?

Looks like he's licking his lips.

Claustrophobia.

I know this is immature, but I'm still terrified of the dark. Don't know if there is a 'phobia' for that, but turn the lights out in a room and I get the creeps.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Claustrophobia.

I know this is immature, but I'm still terrified of the dark. Don't know if there is a 'phobia' for that, but turn the lights out in a room and I get the creeps.

That would be nyctophobia.

hotwheels

LARGE quantities of blood (like the storage bottles/bags, or someone donating), or a large pool of it, or a spurting, severed artery (the last one will actually make me black out QUICKLY!).

Any spindly, spiney, multi-apendaged, land or sea critter, especially; large centipedes millipedes, whip scorpions, certain spindly looking cave dwelling spiders, and the like, and from the sea; large shrimp (ESPECIALLY the hammer/spike mandible Mantis variety), rock lobsters, sea robins, sea urchins, stone fish, stinging coral, ALL jellyfish (was stung BADLY in Miami as a young kid) etc.

For some reason (maybe related to/because of how much it can appear like the blood above??) rust, especially where I have to walk barefoot, i.e.;
bathrooms/showers, pools, locker room floors, lakes with rusting, algae covered stuff in them, docks, ocean jetties/docks.

Other than the above, not much else.

Heights for me, I've always been afraid of heights. i get really shaky if i'm higher than a 1 story roof. Since i have a bad left knee, its now a protective fear.

For some reason, seeing people or the idea of being in the water near large ships even if they are unmoving, makes me nervous. I don't mean 20-30 foot boats. Even seeing someone swimming near a ship in a movie ( like Under Siege) makes me feel creepy.

Last edited:
Heights for me too. Going on a roof doesnt bother me, but looking off a cliff with no railing makes my heart stop.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Claustrophobia.

That would be nyctophobia.

hotwheels

Thank-you, appreciate that info!

I'll add one - extremely deep water. I know how to swim, and can tread water for an eon, but knowing that there is 100+ feet of just endless water below me makes it so I can't enjoy being in it.

I'll add one - extremely deep water. I know how to swim, and can tread water for an eon, but knowing that there is 100+ feet of just endless water below me makes it so I can't enjoy being in it.

Hydroskourophobia? A girl ran out on me while watching The Abyss at the theater. Skating at the local pond did not turn out to be a good idea either.

hotwheels

I have had a fear of heights my whole life, and I have never beaten it.

I sometimes visit apartment complexes where a balcony serves as a hallway to the individual units. Whenever I go there, I always walk with my back against the wall, frightened that something will send me over the edge. People in the apartment complex look at me strangely, but I don't care.

Not sure it is a fear, but I hate giving gifts. I love buying gifts for people, and spend a lot of time picking out the right gift...but when it comes time to actually give it to them, it makes me VERY uncomfortable. I usually just write their name on it, and place it in a place they will find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back